Author Topic: Scary stuff, transport loses wheels  (Read 10645 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Scary stuff, transport loses wheels
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 07:26:03 pm »
Not a surprise given the state of service of most transport trucks.  When the police do a road-block inspection, they tow a huge number of trucks as many are so unsafe they aren't even close to roadworthy.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 08:09:23 pm »
Sad.

Aren't truckers suppose to do a pre-trip everyday?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 08:16:53 pm »
Sad.

Yea.  They hit the tire with a club and call it good.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 08:20:12 pm »
I was driving home one day when that happened on a truck in the opposing lane of a divided highway in front of me, you could see the wheels were loose and both wheels came flying off, one after the other, just as I went past. And they really move, I think they passed the truck before they crossed the meridian and into my lane. Luckily missed everyone.

Very odd thing to see, would hard to react to in time.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 08:22:41 pm »
I've been behind/near trucks where the re-treaded tires have delaminated. 

That was scary too.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 08:59:53 pm »
Sad.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 09:01:41 pm »
I've been behind/near trucks where the re-treaded tires have delaminated. 

That was scary too.

Yeah, I had that happen last summer just as I was about to pass a truck...Tread came right at my and I had to put the car (Firebird) sideways and onto the shoulder to avoid it, luckily there wasn't much traffic around at the time or I wouldn't have been able to do that.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 09:10:34 pm »
Sad.

Yea.  They hit the tire with a club and call it good.
Here a picture and all the studs were sheer off

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 06:59:58 am »
I hope the injured party pulls though.

He's probably lucky he was driving such a large vehicle

The person passed away from injuries. Sad.

Flying truck tires scare the :censor: out of me.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 09:10:03 am »
Random tragedy...any idea why regular car wheels don't go ballistic...SHEAR FORCES on big vehicles? lack of maintenance! crappy parts being used?............ ???
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2025 Toyota Camry, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 09:50:42 am »
Random tragedy...any idea why regular car wheels don't go ballistic...SHEAR FORCES on big vehicles? lack of maintenance! crappy parts being used?............ ???

If you notice it is always the trailer wheels that go flying off, not any part of the tractor tandems.

Two reasons:

1. Tractors are invariably better maintained than trailers.

2. But by far the more significant reason is that when turning, sometimes while going forward, but mostly and especially when backing up and turning at the same time the back tandems often twist in the same place as the truck pivot's around e.g. to back up into a loading dock. That places tremendous shear forces on those back wheels as they rotate while in place. When new they can withstand that force but as they get older and with exposure to salt and corrosion they can snap off easily, anywhere, including on the highway.

To get around this problem, they will have to change the law and make it mandatory to replace the back trailer tandems of every trailer say every 3-5 years. It will be expensive but the only way I see to make this problem go away. It is physically impossible to evaluate how much stress a wheel assembly will take before it snaps in any kind of daily inspection. I doubt whether even a qualified mechanic will be able to definitely certify a wheel assembly as road worthy based on a visual inspection.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:56:40 am by warp »

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 10:00:34 am »
I hope the injured party pulls though.

He's probably lucky he was driving such a large vehicle

The person passed away from injuries. Sad.

Flying truck tires scare the :censor: out of me.

Man that sucks, poor guy.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 10:15:20 am »
Not sure what style of wheel this situation was. There is this type of wheel that commonly develops cracks around the lug/hub bore. It's extremely hard to notice and requires a careful look. This style of wheel  was popular in the 80's to mid 90's called a non piloted budd wheel. This type was a real pain, it had two sets of studs, one to hold the inner wheel and another set to hold the outer wheel with lug nuts. These types were prone to crack stress and stud failure (hence why they're not used anymore) New style budd wheels have one stud (much larger) and one wheel nut. as most cars use.

This is the old, dangerous two stud system

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 10:18:24 am »

If you notice it is always the trailer wheels that go flying off, not any part of the tractor tandems.

Two reasons:

2. But by far the more significant reason is that when turning, sometimes while going forward, but mostly and especially when backing up and turning at the same time the back tandems often twist in the same place as the truck pivot's around e.g. to back up into a loading dock. That places tremendous shear forces on those back wheels as they rotate while in place. When new they can withstand that force but as they get older and with exposure to salt and corrosion they can snap off easily, anywhere, including on the highway.

To get around this problem, they will have to change the law and make it mandatory to replace the back trailer tandems of every trailer say every 3-5 years. It will be expensive but the only way I see to make this problem go away. It is physically impossible to evaluate how much stress a wheel assembly will take before it snaps in any kind of daily inspection. I doubt whether even a qualified mechanic will be able to definitely certify a wheel assembly as road worthy based on a visual inspection.

Sounds plausible.

Don't the Europeans use pivot plates on some of the trailer axles for this reason?
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 10:20:57 am »

Two reasons:

There is no way to physically tell with a visual inspection whether or not there is any damage, you would need to do some NDT inspection for that and I do not see ANY trucking company starting to do that.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 10:46:42 am »
Do u think volvo roofs wiuld have been able to withstand this impact?

They do test their roofs and a pillars extensively...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 11:03:49 am »

I would think not
Volvo would probably testing for rollover  not a thin 100 lb wheel hitting it at over 200 kph

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 11:10:11 am »

I doubt anything short of an MRAP could take a hit like that

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 11:37:25 am »

I would think not
Volvo would probably testing for rollover  not a thin 100 lb wheel hitting it at over 200 kph

...they roll their cars on their roofs on purpose and drop the whole car upside down on their a pillars......   and do   Moose hit tests..     and mythbuster proved that object going one way at one speed and another object going the otherway at the same speed does not make the impact twice as powerful.