Author Topic: First Drive: 2016 Subaru Crosstrek  (Read 25091 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: First Drive: 2016 Subaru Crosstrek
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 09:06:29 am »
Most of the manual 6 speeds have the same gear spread as the 5 speeds they replaced. All a person ends up doing is shifting more.

Yeah, the only reason I prefer six-speeds now is because owning two cars, one five-speed and one six-speed, was annoying.

That's a very practical reason Oliver.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline TroyGLS

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 09:12:24 am »
The Crosstrek would absolutely be at the top of my list as a possible next vehicle, especially in that new blue which I'm actually digging... but a cousin and an aunt of mine both drive 2015 versions and are still battling Subaru Canada over horrible oil burning issues with that 2.0L engine.  Seems to be very widespread with Subaru doing very little to combat the issue.  As much as I like the Crosstrek, that's a battle I'm not willing to risk partaking in.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 09:14:33 am »
I had a 2013 and it didn't use any oil between changes. I believe that to be the case with Weels' Crosstrek also. Blotter has recently bought one and so far hasn't had issues that I'm aware of.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 10:40:37 am »
subaru has been rather lucky that they have had a host of engine issues, but even car enthusiasts (myself included) seem willing to forgive and forget. i think actually the fact that people buying them used are willing to forgive and forget is the more important factor... keeps resale up incredibly high.

i find it interesting that this is the case... fgc's are usually leased because of the fear of out-of-warranty fixes and the people driving them usually prefer to have the newest and shiniest thing on the block... subaru drivers tend to (at least think they will) drive the car until it becomes dust and feel the reliability is second to none... even more reason to keep those old oil issues in the back of your mind.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 10:52:46 am »
Subaru's reliability isn't an illusion. Most of the issues have been with older cars. I've had three, though I didn't keep them for very long, they were completely reliable and without any unscheduled stops to the dealership.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 10:55:02 am »
Crosstrek is nice but I would go with the Outback

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 11:08:26 am »
Subaru's reliability isn't an illusion. Most of the issues have been with older cars. I've had three, though I didn't keep them for very long, they were completely reliable and without any unscheduled stops to the dealership.

That's great and all.  But I have high expectations.  A four year old car shouldn't have any problems...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 11:09:17 am »

CX-3 is ok, but I would go with the CX-9! :-)

Offline drive67

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-28
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tacoma,Celica, HondaCRX, VW Scirocco,Ram,
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 11:11:08 am »
subaru has been rather lucky that they have had a host of engine issues, but even car enthusiasts (myself included) seem willing to forgive and forget. i think actually the fact that people buying them used are willing to forgive and forget is the more important factor... keeps resale up incredibly high.

i find it interesting that this is the case... fgc's are usually leased because of the fear of out-of-warranty fixes and the people driving them usually prefer to have the newest and shiniest thing on the block... subaru drivers tend to (at least think they will) drive the car until it becomes dust and feel the reliability is second to none... even more reason to keep those old oil issues in the back of your mind.
The latest is an oil consumption issue but they are not alone. " Subaru considers a quart burned every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable"
I would like to know what is the problem, not every car but enough to be sued.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 11:12:02 am »
 ::)  "Crosstrek is nice but i'd go with  tha OUTBACK"!! Always taking the DESERT :D  before the main course  Mmmm pudding has an Xtra "S"... a 4 wheeelllled  puddin would be amazin............signed Bill Subie COSBY :-*
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:14:24 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 11:21:06 am »

The latest is an oil consumption issue but they are not alone. " Subaru considers a quart burned every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable"

Even the Toyota Camry has had reports of this oil consumption...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 11:33:01 am »

They are close in size , couple of inches here a couple inches there , and at least I did not mention Kia, Mazda or Toyota  ;D
http://www.truedelta.com/Subaru-Outback/specs-253/vs-XV-Crosstrek-1091

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2016, 11:38:03 am »

They are close in size , couple of inches here a couple inches there , and at least I did not mention Kia, Mazda or Toyota  ;D

It's no GTI ;) 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 11:44:37 am »

It's no GTI ;)
Yes, it is no  Maserati 3500 GTI from 1960

Offline makuribu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 11:49:14 am »
New colors availability is great.  Wondering what they have had done to eliminate the head gasket oil/coolant leak, spark plug tube seals oil leak that frequently occurs just past factory warranty?

I think they fixed that about 10 years ago.
'Cause you can only drive down Main St. so many times

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 12:01:02 pm »

In terms of size not that big of a difference.  Was referring more to power differences and pricing, when getting into the higher trims...

Offline drive67

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-28
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tacoma,Celica, HondaCRX, VW Scirocco,Ram,
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 12:12:32 pm »

Even the Toyota Camry has had reports of this oil consumption...
It start with the Matrix and spread through Scion and Toyota models but still you have to use a lot of oil before they will fix even thou there is a fix.
Honda also have problems with oil consumption with the CRV ,probably many more car makers.
I would like to know the problem if it is a common part or design flaw.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2016, 12:49:11 pm »
New colors availability is great. 
...you mean swapping the Blue for the Tangerine?  That's the only change in colours (in Canada, at least - lucky US gets all kind of colours...)

I'm just sore that I can't get it in Red to match our 2011 Fozzie XT :P

Nice updates - hopefully soon Subaru will see that Mitsu offers a 2.4L I4 and Subie will then drop the FB25 in the lil' engine bay :shuffle:

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2016, 02:49:05 pm »
In order for Subaru to further distinguish the Crosstrek as a mere "jacked up Impreza" they need to offer either the 2.5 or low boost turbo engine option.

Not confirmed but the Impreza offering the same engine would weight less than this "sporty" raised variant and make it quicker and more nimble.

Crosstrek buyers like any buyers who pay more want more, not less and not just new makeup and package rearranging. Engine option would fit nicely.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2016, 04:57:19 pm »
No oil issues or ANY issues to date.  However I did find it interesting at the time of pick up, they gave us a maintenance schedule sheet which at the bottom says "please check engine oil at first fill up"

I really don't understand the "underpowered" statements or concerns.
After reading so many of these comments on the Crosstrek since it came out, that was a big concern going into the test drive.
The test drive confirmed this wasn't an issue at all for us.  It's actually a pretty peppy car.  No problems merging or making fast passing moves.
Faster and more powerful is always welcome, but really, this car is fine.
If you want a sports car, go get a WRX.    This car has a somewhat "sensitive" throttle which reminded me a lot of our RAV 4 (minus the V6 power)
It's certainly faster, smoother and more quiet than the Matrix I used to have.  It's definately a faster reacting throttle than the Tacoma.

So the "not powerful enough" comments I guess depends on what you're used to driving and how much you want to mash the throttle.

Subaru head gasket issues:
I had them with my 1999 Forester.   They corrected these issues long ago.

In order for Subaru to further distinguish the Crosstrek as a mere "jacked up Impreza" they need to offer either the 2.5 or low boost turbo engine option.

I've said it before.....   the differences aside (IMO) the Crosstrek looking better is
1) ground clearance
2) some small towing capacity (1,500lbs - although I wouldn't try it)
3) factory roof rails and cross bars not available on the Impreza

To me Subaru turned the Impreza into a mainstream looking daily drive / everyday car and the Crosstrek became the "outdoorsy" quirky option.
The Crosstrek to me is almost like the old Impreza Sport which back in the day was almost a mini Outback.

For us it was a no brainer picking the Crosstrek (we wanted and needed a vehicle with roof rails)
my wife also liked the look better and wanted to extra ground clearance (which I agree with)