Author Topic: Left Lane Drivers - non-scientific observations  (Read 8752 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Left Lane Drivers - non-scientific observations
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 05:43:19 pm »
Good survey I think. Thoughts on why you are observing this?

Regardless of other factors or segments, the kind of person who would block others' progress might be someone who is unaware of their surroundings, self-centered and arrogant, thinks the world revolves around them in terms of importance, and therefore other people are not thought of, hardly ever, or is someone who has "causes" and wants to change the world/other people/whatever, or could be described as mentally frazzled or should I say in today's world, "mentally challenged"?

Now you might say that, while this could describe anybody, it frequently describes females driving Toyotas.  :o " "You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"  :P   
There are certainly people like that.  There are also many people who don't think at all.  They obey the speed limits and never consider that they are in anyones way.  These are NOT the people who officiously drive in the left lane at the limit who believe that it is their road and they can use any part of it. You see them all the time on expressways and they are also the people who don't pull over for firetrucks/police etc because that rule was never pointed out to them when they did drivers ed behind the school at age 16.   They used to be called 'disassociated passive'.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 02:02:53 pm »
I find it funny to be on the highway out here. Only one car on the horizon. As you approach, you can see he's sitting in the left lane.

I used to travel the 11 between S'toon and Regina frequently, back in the day the maintenance was not good, and the right lane was quite rough from truck traffic, so if no one around I'd sail on in the left lane for the sake of my sanity and fillings.    I'd always pull right if someone came up behind me, but frankly I was a bit of a lead foot, so that was rare.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 03:43:32 pm »
Yeah that's a bit of an exception.

Like the section from Moncton to Sackville, where the right lane is absolutely terrible.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 03:53:02 pm »

Like the section from Moncton to Sackville, where the right lane is absolutely terrible.

I was just about to post that  :o

Offline jumpingjump

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Dodge Ram
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 05:29:26 pm »
What's worse is that if you even try to pass some of them on the right, they'll (for some unknown reason) speed up to NOT let you pass...
But why? You weren't going anywhere anyways, what does it matter that I speed up so we can get out of each other's business.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 10:38:22 pm »
What's worse is that if you even try to pass some of them on the right, they'll (for some unknown reason) speed up to NOT let you pass...
But why? You weren't going anywhere anyways, what does it matter that I speed up so we can get out of each other's business.

I'll tell you why. Control because they have so little of it at work or at home over their own lives, so they can at least control another driver.
At least according to a human behavior expert on a talk show while driving home.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 08:13:59 pm »

Yeah, you're right about that stretch.  I don't fault anyone for driving in the left lane there...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 08:46:07 am »

Yeah, you're right about that stretch.  I don't fault anyone for driving in the left lane there...

Yeah maybe when they put the toll booth at the border that section will get repaired? :-\ :'(
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 08:48:17 am »
No Toll booth apparently... They're raising HST, tobacco taxes, and increasing debt  ::)