Author Topic: Left Lane Drivers - non-scientific observations  (Read 8751 times)

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
Left Lane Drivers - non-scientific observations
« on: January 25, 2016, 10:55:59 am »
This post has been brewing for a couple of years but I’ve been hesitant to write it because it might come across as inflammatory and offensive to some. But it is based on several years of observations.

A few years ago as I was plodding along on a highway in southern New Brunswick and noted the traffic was backed up because of one vehicle driving in the passing lane adjacent to another vehicle and travelling at the same speed. I wondered if, in the cases where I could identify a vehicle or driver, is there a pattern to the driver or vehicle that is more likely to block the left lane?

First, let me state a few of the parameters of this unscientific quest:

• These observations were only made on four-lane highways. New Brunswick doesn’t have highway systems like you would see in more populous parts of Canada so the vast majority of the multiple lane highway system is only four lanes. This is important because there is no ambiguity about whether you are in the left lane or the right lane.

I didn’t make any specific observations on four-lane streets. Whether I am right or wrong on this, streets are different in that vehicles in the left lane may be there before they signal to make a left-hand turn onto a side street or into a business. I don’t think the concept of passing lane and travel lane applies on city streets.

I didn’t observe anything regarding drivers of vehicles who stayed in the left lane even when there were no vehicles to pass but they were driving much faster than the average flow of traffic. This is simply because I had no opportunity to pass them if they were driving so far above the speed limit that I couldn’t observe any personal traits.
I didn’t go into this quest with any pre-conceived notions and honestly, I didn’t think that I would really be able to put together any patterns. Part of me expected to see an over representation of elderly people driving slow in the left lane but I tried to put that out of my mind as it wasn’t founded on any observations. I figured the best thing I could do was to simply be guided by what I was observing.

I did find one overwhelming predictor of who may park in the left lane and hold up traffic. There were two other cohorts who were significantly over represented in the left lane population but one of those is definitely related to New Brunswick’s geography.

The number that really surprised me is that an overwhelming majority of the people I observed driving slow in the passing lane were female. I know that simply stating this will cause some people to get angry but I assure you that this is based entirely on observation. And when I say that it is an overwhelming majority it is indeed overwhelming: more than 85% of slow-moving drivers in the left lane were female. Age did not seem to be a good indicator for blocking the left lane.

The second most significant cohort of left-lane drivers were those driving either Toyota Corollas or Toyota Camrys. I recognize that both of these cars are extremely popular in Canada so that alone would account for their higher representation in the left lane. But, if my information is correct the two best-selling vehicles in Canada are the Honda Civic and the Ford F-150.  Both are as thick as blackflies in the spring around here but they were not over represented in the left lane.

The final cohort that seemed to prefer driving slowly in the left lane is probably much narrower and not conclusive of what anyone else in Canada (except for perhaps Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island) might experience. I should also add that this cohort is most common during the typical tourist season. The cohort is vehicles that have Nova Scotia license plates on them. I recognize that this will likely cause some offense too, and I will fully admit that New Brunswick drivers wouldn’t win any awards, but I am tempted every time I visit Nova Scotia to flag down an RCMP member and ask if traffic rules are reversed in Nova Scotia: does slower traffic have to keep to the left while passing is done on the right? It seems to be a common occurrence on Nova Scotia’s highways.

Not to make this seem funny, but it seems to me that if you put a female driver from Nova Scotia in a Toyota Camry that she will drive through the entire length of New Brunswick in the left lane.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why I am observing this? Is there any remedy? You may not agree with me, but I find that people who drive slowly in the left-hand lane tend to create traffic hazards and make things more dangerous for other drivers.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Left Lane Drivers - non-scientific observations
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 11:12:30 am »
I haven't paid attention like you have, but I've never had the sense that women do this more than men. I've also never noticed that any particular type of vehicle is more likely to do it around here.

As for the city thing, I was taught to always stay in the right lane whenever possible. If you need to make a left turn, then move into the left lane half a block before your turn.

Obviously, if traffic is bad and the street is jammed, then it doesn't really matter. But whenever there is the option, the right lane is always where you want to drive - city or highway. Dawdling along in the left lane is never appropriate IMO.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 11:20:27 am »
I find it funny to be on the highway out here. Only one car on the horizon. As you approach, you can see he's sitting in the left lane.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 11:23:43 am »
There are no shortage of highway left-lane bandits around here as well.  Don't know if they are male/female/young/old.. though.

One thing I do note around here (SW Ontario) - if you are being aggressively tailgated by someone, majority of the time the tailgater is female.  There are a lot of very stressed out soccer mom's in my 'hood.   
One thing I am looking forward to once I get the MX-5 is sticking my arm waaay up in the air and extending a middle finger salute when this happens.  The reactions should be epic.   ;D  I must install a dash cam...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 11:36:32 am »
I see more old dudes in the left lane nowdays.  Women left lane bandits seem younger.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 11:55:28 am »
Its everybody around here. Car, pickup and I've even had transport trucks blocking when on 3 or more lanes. Young, old, middle age, fat, thin, hot, ugly.....stupidity and selfishness is everywhere.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 11:59:44 am »
Its everybody around here. Car, pickup and I've even had transport trucks blocking when on 3 or more lanes. Young, old, middle age, fat, thin, hot, ugly.....stupidity and selfishness is everywhere.
  :iagree:

I see more transports sitting in middle lane now , what the Fack is wrong with these drivers

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 12:01:18 pm »
I have only driven in North America and Europe, so I can't comment if it also happens elsewhere, but left lane dreamers seem to be a North American (Canada & USA) disease.

Of course on Ontario highways they have this stupid roadside sign that says "slower traffic keep right" instead of ""keep right except to pass".
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 12:15:34 pm »
Around here the left lane rolling speed bumps are usually in some sort of Toyota or Honda or minivans. Females are I would say a higher percentage from what I've seen. If you go away from the major cities, the preferred weapon of mass frustration employed by the left lane hogs is the Ford Edge as that is, I would say, the number one selling vehicle for farmers over the age of Methuselah.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 12:20:17 pm »
Gotta say Albertans have been getting steadily better at this.  Really.  Go back 30 years and people had NO CLUE about staying right - none at all.  Now the majority of people quickly move over should you come upon them in the left lane.  I recently drove to Revelstoke and back via Calgary/Golden, etc, and there were few left lane bandits.

People are doing a thousand other stupid things, but in terms of using the left lane only to pass, this seems to be one area of actual improvement.  Go figure.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 12:46:20 pm »
I have been doing similar unofficial observations on the 401 stretch between Kitchener and Toronto during non rush hours (when one can actually drive the speed limit) (6 lane highway, 100kmph)

More male drivers block left lane than female drivers (90-105 in left lane)
In the last 10 years more and more truckers are now puttering at 85-95 in the centre lane.. Some days it gets so bad that they might as well not have the right most lane.. it has also become dangerous because people go from the left lane to the right lane back to the left lane using the centre lane as the passing lane.

I dont know if truckers are legally required to stay in the right lane and can only use the centre lane for passing.. but if that is the case then the province thru OPP can make thousands and hundreds of $'s in fines  in that stretch alone by catching these centre lane hogger truckers. (The truckers do that to aviod braking and accelerating when other vehicles enter near exit/on ramps)

Left lane drivers are generally all types of vehicles. However i see very few BMW, MB, Audi's hogging the left lane (they are doing 130K plus if they are in the left lane)

70% of the people move over when they are tailgated in the left lane.
30% of them are living in their own world and dont care.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:48:07 pm by CSH »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 12:56:12 pm »
I travel on that bit of 401 fairly often in my Audi  and I am often doing 130 in the left lane keeping away from the trucks and the minivans.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 01:11:37 pm »
I have been doing similar unofficial observations on the 401 stretch between Kitchener and Toronto during non rush hours (when one can actually drive the speed limit) (6 lane highway, 100kmph)

In the last 10 years more and more truckers are now puttering at 85-95 in the centre lane.. Some days it gets so bad that they might as well not have the right most lane.. it has also become dangerous because people go from the left lane to the right lane back to the left lane using the centre lane as the passing lane.

I dont know if truckers are legally required to stay in the right lane and can only use the centre lane for passing.. but if that is the case then the province thru OPP can make thousands and hundreds of $'s in fines  in that stretch alone by catching these centre lane hogger truckers. (The truckers do that to aviod braking and accelerating when other vehicles enter near exit/on ramps)

Left lane drivers are generally all types of vehicles. However i see very few BMW, MB, Audi's hogging the left lane (they are doing 130K plus if they are in the left lane)

I thought the centre on a 3 lane highway is the designated travel lane for transport trucks? I'm pretty sure that's what I was told in the past... mind you I'm going back 20yrs now... sh*t, where did the time go  ???
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 03:05:21 pm »

I thought the centre on a 3 lane highway is the designated travel lane for transport trucks? I'm pretty sure that's what I was told in the past... mind you I'm going back 20yrs now... sh*t, where did the time go  ???
They are suppose use centre lane for passing http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section2.9.2.shtml
Use the far left lane of a multi-lane freeway to pass traffic moving slower than the speed limit, but don’t stay there. Drive in the right-hand lane when possible. On many freeways with three or more lanes in each direction, large trucks cannot travel in the far left lane and must use the lane to the right for passing. Get into the habit of driving in the right lane, leaving the other lanes clear for passing.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 03:06:41 pm »
Interesting, i thought the rule for them was to keep to the rightmost lane unless you want to pass

Another crazy hwy is the hwy 8N going into Kitchener waterloo. It was recently expanded to 8 lanes. Driving on that highway in the morning most of the trucks are on the second lane from the left, someone is always doing 100-105 on the leftmost lane and the speed is 115+ in the right two lanes with people weaving to avoid the slower traffic. Its insane.
Technically,  the speed limit is 100 so even 105 is technically passing speed in the passing lane.. the reality is traffic in the left lane on this highway when there are no hoggers is minimum 125 upto 145kmph
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:09:52 pm by CSH »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 03:09:44 pm »

They are suppose use centre lane for passing http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section2.9.2.shtml
Use the far left lane of a multi-lane freeway to pass traffic moving slower than the speed limit, but don’t stay there. Drive in the right-hand lane when possible. On many freeways with three or more lanes in each direction, large trucks cannot travel in the far left lane and must use the lane to the right for passing. Get into the habit of driving in the right lane, leaving the other lanes clear for passing.

The way I read that is that transports use the RIGHT lane for passing, therefore would be travelling in the centre lane as they are not to use the left lane.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 03:17:17 pm »

The way I read that is that transports use the RIGHT lane for passing, therefore would be travelling in the centre lane as they are not to use the left lane.
They can not use far left lane for pass , must to lane to right of the far left lane for passing which would make that the centre lane   :P
The wording is all Fack up  ;D

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 04:31:37 pm »
Good survey I think. Thoughts on why you are observing this?

Regardless of other factors or segments, the kind of person who would block others' progress might be someone who is unaware of their surroundings, self-centered and arrogant, thinks the world revolves around them in terms of importance, and therefore other people are not thought of, hardly ever, or is someone who has "causes" and wants to change the world/other people/whatever, or could be described as mentally frazzled or should I say in today's world, "mentally challenged"?

Now you might say that, while this could describe anybody, it frequently describes females driving Toyotas.  :o " "You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"  :P   

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2025 Toyota Camry, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 05:17:28 pm »
In a 6 lane divided highway the middle lane is the passing lane for truckers. So anybody in the middle lane, whether a car or another truck is supposed to move over to the right most lane so that the truck can pass. How many car drivers know that rule and is it ever enforced.?How often I have seen a car in the middle lane doing exactly 100 kmph and a frustrated trucker who is paid per mile driven is sitting on his/her tail while the right most lane has another truck doing the same speed as the car.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2025 Toyota Camry, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 05:26:28 pm »
I have run another experiment. This experiment can be done either on a divided 4 lane or 6 lane highway. So a car is driving either in the right lane of a 4 lane highway or the middle lane of a 6 lane highway and is doing say 110 kmph. If you are driving slightly faster behind that car, as you pull up, change lanes to the passing lane and slow down your speed so that you almost match his/her speed, almost, not quite. So now you are going 1-2 kmph faster than the car. Then after doing this for about 10-15 seconds, slowly increase your speed to 105-107 kmph. You will note that the car has also increased it's speed. After a suitable interval of another 10-15 seconds, increase your speed to 110 kmph, the middle lane car will also have increased it's speed, then 115 kmph, the 120 kmph, maybe even 125 kmph and possibly even 130 kmph. A certain kind of driver will match your speed increases and not allow you to pull past. My admittedly unscientific observation is such drivers are mostly male. So now when I come on such drivers and if the natural rate of me passing them is say 10 kmph, to prevent this speed matching problem, I ruthlessly increase by speed by 20-40 kmph an blast by them so that the middle/right lane car feels it is futile to keep up. Then slow down again when some distance ahead.