Author Topic: Car Maintenance/Repair, Uber-Style  (Read 5992 times)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Car Maintenance/Repair, Uber-Style
« on: January 23, 2016, 06:45:38 am »
Brilliant!

http://business.financialpost.com/entrepreneur/why-trust-is-key-when-you-are-disrupting-a-sector-like-auto-mechanics

In a similar vein, a colleague's husband runs his own mobile shop for simple things like tire switchovers, oil changes, etc.  He will come to your office and do the work right in the parking lot, as you toil away inside.  No wasted time.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Car Maintenance/Repair, Uber-Style
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 08:29:44 am »
Simple things is one thing
I don't thing it would be fun doing a brake job outside in the rain or snow
Will it really make money ?
I always feel so sorry when I see the mechanics working on a transport truck on the side of the 401 when it -30°c out side

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 12:14:53 pm »
and what about liabilities? that is the biggest issue with car repair... whether it is an injury to the tech, or whether it is a problem down the road on the car...

on of our most common problems is "ever-since-itis"... a mobile tech will suffer some of the same issues... ever since you changed my tires, my brakes squeal... ever since you changed my oil, my fuel economy dropped... it would be interesting to see if they get the same issues or what. sometimes when people pay less for something, they complain less and expect less... not sure if with cars, that really ever happens, but maybe.

and i love the "only 10% of applicants are selected"... that's probably higher than any other shop! heh... yet they act like it's because they are so stringent.

everyone is looking for that quick buck... not saying their idea doesn't have legs, as i think the service center model could be updated... but to pay techs twice as much, still fill the days, cover all liabilities and overhead, charge less and still make a good profit?

i'm all for seeing an opportunity and jumping at it, but something like this, i really think they need a bit more knowledge of the auto industry before they can make this really profitable... we'll see. (oh and yeah, better in the states where snow isn't an issue)
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 09:01:51 am »
I still think there's a market for it, once it's carefully thought out.  Agree that the insurance portion should be factored in, and I've no doubt that this is a part of the service (even if the article doesn't mention it).  As a concept, though... I like it!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 01:56:36 pm »
I think we need to fundamentally change the direction our society has taken.  We now have to spend so much time at work or commuting that we now need to have our car serviced while we're at work.  Productivity is so important that we can't allow people a few minutes from the work day to drop off and pick up their car.

"There's children in __________ country willing to work 120 hours a week for a dollar a day and be poisoned while doing it, so why won't workers in all nations?"

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 02:31:56 pm »
Yup. Same people complain about Civil Servants getting sick days as if it's something that should be taken away  instead of increasing the standard of living for all ::).

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 09:13:26 am »
I think we need to fundamentally change the direction our society has taken.  We now have to spend so much time at work or commuting that we now need to have our car serviced while we're at work.  Productivity is so important that we can't allow people a few minutes from the work day to drop off and pick up their car.

"There's children in __________ country willing to work 120 hours a week for a dollar a day and be poisoned while doing it, so why won't workers in all nations?"

Agreed. We do a lot of online shopping for that reason; no time to spend in malls. I've been putting off getting a new eye exams for like 2 years now because I have trouble finding the time, during business hours, to get it done (although I now have it book for Thursday). It's actually sad.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 09:55:26 am »

Agreed. We do a lot of online shopping for that reason; no time to spend in malls. I've been putting off getting a new eye exams for like 2 years now because I have trouble finding the time, during business hours, to get it done (although I now have it book for Thursday). It's actually sad.
Too busy to go to doctor , I do not understand that , are you going to get fired if you go ?
I had to shut down my company for 12 weeks , no billings for that time , to get my hip joint replaced because   Quality of life is more important than the income

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 10:05:54 am »

Too busy to go to doctor , I do not understand that , are you going to get fired if you go ?
I had to shut down my company for 12 weeks , no billings for that time , to get my hip joint replaced because   Quality of life is more important than the income

Well, eye doctor, not a regular doctor. But yeah, sometimes you've gotta prioritize stuff. I am young-ish and I've been pushing hard at work to get where I want to be. I've also been taking a fair bit of time off to accompany Mrs.Firm to her various health appointments (for those who don't know she's been recovering from a work-related car accident for the last few months). So a fresh eye exam is pretty easy to trade off in favor of a few extra hours to get :censor: done at work, or to make sure the wifey is getting the care/support she needs.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 10:28:31 am »

Not every job has that sort of flexibility. I do think it's something we should strive for though. If companies want you to work while it is convenient for them (after hours, on weekends), then they also need to realize that you need some flexibility during normal working hours.

But I think this service isn't necessarily just to avoid taking time off of work. Sometimes getting your car worked on is simply downright inconvenient and this can help with that problem.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 11:02:08 am »
But I think this service isn't necessarily just to avoid taking time off of work. Sometimes getting your car worked on is simply downright inconvenient and this can help with that problem.

Yes, that's exactly how I see it.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 11:22:33 am »

Not every job has that sort of flexibility. I do think it's something we should strive for though. If companies want you to work while it is convenient for them (after hours, on weekends), then they also need to realize that you need some flexibility during normal working hours.

that's key in my opinion...it's such an annoyance to disrupt your morning routine to take your car in for service! Hence why I only personally buy vehicles from dealers that are no more than 10min driving away from my home.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 11:26:41 am »

that's key in my opinion...it's such an annoyance to disrupt your morning routine to take your car in for service! Hence why I only personally buy vehicles from dealers that are no more than 10min driving away from my home.

One of the reasons I looked at VW this time. The dealer is only a couple of blocks from my house.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 11:47:27 am »
Living in Fredericton, everything is like 10 minutes away  ;D

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 12:06:30 pm »

I don't think they are willing; they have no choice. We live well on the backs of others. Unfortunately people hate to admit to that or even realize it.

Did you know it costs $2.50 for a pair of Nikes? So how is it that they retail for what they do?

The Price Of Precious
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/10/conflict-minerals/gettleman-text
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:12:20 pm by No H2O »
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 12:16:13 pm »

I don't think they are willing; they have no choice. We live well on the backs of others. Unfortunately people hate to admit to that or even realize it.

I agree, hence why it was in quotations.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 12:21:09 pm »
No wasted time. I do all my own servicing at home and never have to worry about what has been screwed up by some shop.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 12:54:30 pm »
If some fly-by-night mechanic showed up in a pickup truck and began messing around with my car in my employer's parking lot security would detain them on the spot and I'd probably face serious disciplinary consequences for the huge liability and safety issues that raises. My car repairs are MY responsibility and I'll deal with them on my time and at a proper facility even though it might be a little 'inconvenient'. That word gets used so much I'm getting tired of hearing it.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 12:59:07 pm »
If some fly-by-night mechanic showed up in a pickup truck and began messing around with my car in my employer's parking lot security would detain them on the spot and I'd probably face serious disciplinary consequences for the huge liability and safety issues that raises. My car repairs are MY responsibility and I'll deal with them on my time and at a proper facility even though it might be a little 'inconvenient'. That word gets used so much I'm getting tired of hearing it.

^^ This. I cannot do an oil change at work, let alone change out an alternator. Either do it at home or go drop it off at the mechanic.
Lighten up Francis.....

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 01:44:24 pm »
Had an outfit come and do windshields in both our vehicles in our driveway last fall.

Worked great. Came by on the weekend, no muss no fuss.