Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2016 Honda HR-V; Day 1  (Read 37375 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2016 Honda HR-V; Day 1
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2016, 05:15:09 pm »
Is the loaded version quieter?   The HR-V came in second in your last comparison.  Just seems odd it would get such a negative reaction given it beat 7 other vehicles.
...definitely not with my votes counted in   >:(

Mon dieu, I hated that car.  I can't remember if I ranked it lower than the Renegade, but I think I ranked it ever-so-slightly higher just because of interior space.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +291/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2016, 05:27:00 pm »
The manual transmission makes this car compelling. I'm a bit shocked that the HR-V has negligibly more ground clearance than my Mazda 3.

RX stalk has 4 options, actually:
1) Full Auto
2) Parking Lights
3) Low-beams on
4) All off

...the latter of which boggles my mind.  My father consistently left it on #3 because he liked the fancy HIDs...and even then, the lights shut off after a delay or if you lock the car remotely (lock button x2). 

I do occasionally use All Off say at a movie theatre.

Is that the order? My Mazda 3 is...

Off
Auto
Parking
On

My old Mazda 5 was:

Off
Parking
On
Auto

For the most part, I like my Mazda 3's order better but on occasion I wish I had the old Mazda 5 order.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2016, 06:01:43 pm »
I was sifting through the pictures on the review.......why is there that awkward bottle holder behind the centre console for the rear bench? Seems like it simply gets in the way of entry/exit/storage.

here's a closer view I took when I checked out one of these vehicles.  If you want to use the power outlet you can't use the holder for a bottle  ;D

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2016, 08:03:47 pm »
I was sifting through the pictures on the review.......why is there that awkward bottle holder behind the centre console for the rear bench? Seems like it simply gets in the way of entry/exit/storage.

here's a closer view I took when I checked out one of these vehicles.  If you want to use the power outlet you can't use the holder for a bottle  ;D
Because it's a cellphone holder and not a bottle holder?  Lol.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2016, 11:27:23 pm »

How/why would that be a mobile holder? Seriously an *oops*.......or perhaps a moment at Honda: "Oh no ! We forgot to add rear storage ! Umm....let's slap a round cubby somewhere and call it an evening."
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2016, 11:28:46 pm »
^^Is it really that odd to have a power port cubby for the rear passengers?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2016, 11:32:17 pm »
Power port is expected for rear passengers in all cars, but a useless storage cubby that juts out from underneath it and doesn't fold/retract like a proper ashtray seems like it just doesn't belong. It'd get scuffed up or broken pretty quickly.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2016, 11:46:59 pm »
Power port is expected for rear passengers in all cars, but a useless storage cubby that juts out from underneath it and doesn't fold/retract like a proper ashtray seems like it just doesn't belong. It'd get scuffed up or broken pretty quickly.

I may be in the minority...but I prefer cubbies for cell phones.  Plug in and drop it cubby.  They make it large to accommodate all sizes (IMO).

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2016, 06:37:57 am »
Cubby Broccoli................................ ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2016, 07:37:25 am »

How/why would that be a mobile holder? Seriously an *oops*.......or perhaps a moment at Honda: "Oh no ! We forgot to add rear storage ! Umm....let's slap a round cubby somewhere and call it an evening."
That just like my truck , it has a dual cup holder , with a 12 v outlet

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2016, 08:47:41 am »
Now we've reached Day 3 and that vexing Honda Fit manual transmission gearing issue has reared its ugly head again.

Most companies get the shift feel wrong and the gearing right - how does Honda manage to do the opposite with these little buzz bombs?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2016, 09:12:05 am »
Out on the highway the revs are high, over 3,000rpm and even driving on secondary roads at around 90km/h the engine is turning around 2,300 rpm in sixth gear.

Why bother with 6 gears if top is so short?
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2016, 09:18:21 am »

It was a joke....

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2016, 09:28:30 am »
Regarding the gearing, I wonder if they just took the gearbox straight out of the Fit and plopped it in the HR-V. I can sort of understand short gearing for a supermini like the Fit, especially for a peaky engined one engineered for a country where cars are electronically limited to 180km/h and the highest speed limit is like, what....100? Reminds me of the MX-5 my father used to have......

But since the HR-V is a North American only model, they could have taken the gearbox from an Accord or something.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2016, 09:55:05 am »
RX stalk has 4 options, actually:
1) Full Auto
2) Parking Lights
3) Low-beams on
4) All off
Is that the order?

^^ so it's:
1) Full Auto
2) Low-beams on
3) Parking Lights
4) All off

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2016, 10:26:03 am »
this cargo cover is not standard on the LX model but on this EX model I thought this was a bit of flimsy feature, almost a waste of time and a bit awkward to get into the slot, it reminds me of my flip and fold inside windshield sun cover.  ;D  Good size cargo area however and comes with a compact spare.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +128/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra; 2012 Civic (Junior1), 2013 Sentra (Junior2)
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2016, 10:37:48 am »
Geez, ya that cargo cover is el cheapo.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2016, 11:25:12 am »
I know its not mentioned on the competition list but anyone looking in this segment and have no need or want of AWD then I would seriously put the Soul (yes I know I'm bias 'cause I own one, but I have taken a very close look at this HR-V, but haven't driven it) on your comparison shopping list.

It is about 7" shorter than the HR-V but about the same height and certainly matches it for passenger room.  For $505 more than this HR-V LX 6-spd manual reviewed you can get a 2016 Soul EX with a 6-speed auto and a 2.0L engine with 164 hp (what I have in mine).  On my generation 1 version on my unscientific tests at 90kmph = 2000 rpm and at 110 kmph = 2400, not sure if G2 would be any less but it certainly won't be any higher.
I have driven the G2 version and its quite an improvement on ride and NHV compared to mine, also noticed that on hard acceleration is was quieter  under the same conditions.  I've never encountered any problem merging into traffic from ramps on the 401.

Like any comparison between manufacturers there is good and bad features, so many times its what's the best package overall.  The Soul does come with a 2 yr /40,000 km longer warranty than the Honda which is a $1048 additional charge to match it.  According to many of the surveys on reliability it more than matches the Honda in this regard.
I checked out the HR-V EX FWD and liked the large display screen but didn't like that there was no knobs for it; very limited (4) exterior colour choices; the variety of displays for the rear camera was good; light coloured fabric inside but that varied depending on the exterior colour; didn't care for the location of the rear centre seat belt in the roof mine is built-into the seat; no glove box light, no under floor storage other than what's around the spare but the floor level is deeper; no rear centre armrest and a hood prop instead of self-holding.  It has an electronic parking brake.
I was comparing this particular HR-V GS FWD to the 2016 Soul SX model as they are very close in MSRP (Honda is $495 more), but the Soul has a $200 up charge for the specific colour we like (have choice of 9).  The Soul comes standard with leather seats, heated steering wheel, power folding mirrors, glove box light, cooling glove box, the UVO system but its a smaller screen than the Honda (wish it was larger) but its very easy to use and with knobs! Supervision instrument cluster which was much nicer and more features than the Honda.
The Soul also had the push-button start and Smart key like the Honda (but apparently works better), also has heated front seats; it doesn't have a CD player and the Honda does but I never use the one I have.
Also noticed the high cost of many regular accessories on the Honda vs the Soul (eg.  Side window visors:  HR-V $265 installed; Soul about $150 installed.

Anyway there is more, but that gives you some idea and my 2 cents worth  ;D

here's a close up and id of the Honda HR-V EX instrument cluster.  I thought the select/reset knob was a bit '90's
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:34:17 am by conwelpic »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2016, 01:21:48 pm »
Biased or not, conwelpic, you are approaching SirO-like arguments.  :cheers:

Offline BradT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2016, 02:24:58 pm »
You get used to not having any knobs on the radio.  A rotary volume control would be nice if it was provided, but not necessary after you get used to it.  It is probably the same situation a Blackberry user would face switching to a iPhone or a Galaxy and then complaining about it not having a real keyboard.