Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2016 Honda HR-V; Day 1  (Read 37380 times)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2016 Honda HR-V; Day 1
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2016, 10:57:50 am »
cars like this, i actually appreciate most of what CR would say... after all, they are purely an effort to back value into going point a to b... exactly what it seems CR tries to put numbers (or circles) on.

while the verbiage doesn't seem to be praising the car, it still scores higher than most competition... i'd say people looking to spend little and buy small have their share of issues to contend with. hard to believe i know.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2016, 10:59:01 am »
I drove my brother around in this.  He said "I feel sorry for people who have to buy these kinds of cars" lol

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2016, 10:59:41 am »
I drove my brother around in this.  He said "I feel sorry for people who have to buy these kinds of cars" lol

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Best way to describe this whole segment hahahaha
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2016, 11:21:51 am »

There are fun small cars like the Ford Fiesta in the segment; Ford sells a raised Fiesta overseas called the Ford EcoSport......
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline dave_b

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14 Verano Turbo 6MT
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2016, 11:30:28 am »
Touch only controls for HVAC and Media on this and other new Hondas has totally removed them from any potential purchasing consideration on my part.

(Personal opinion, steering wheel controls don't make up for this)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2016, 11:33:27 am »

There are fun small cars like the Ford Fiesta in the segment; Ford sells a raised Fiesta overseas called the Ford EcoSport......

Uh huh....still, no thank you.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2016, 11:40:03 am »

+1  I'll do everything I can to save up more to move a couple of sizes up from this.  Compact segment is the smallest I would consider.

Those passenger side air vents would drive me away even if I was looking in subcompact segment.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:51:34 am by carcrazed »

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2016, 12:08:50 pm »
Touch only controls for HVAC and Media on this and other new Hondas has totally removed them from any potential purchasing consideration on my part.

(Personal opinion, steering wheel controls don't make up for this)

that was also Consumer Reports take too: (not sure if this info applies to Canadian versions)
"The controls in our LX prove that you can have simplicity without giving up connectivity.  Bluetooth phone and audio streaming are standard, and the 5" screen clearly displays the image from the standard backup camera.
If you're tempted to move up the EX or EX-L trim levels, be warned that you'll be saddled with a frustrating audio system.  It's lack of knobs and buttons, plus unintuitive onscreen logic make even the simplest adjustments - like changing the volume - a challenge.  It's actually better to get the less expensive LX model."

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2016, 12:10:31 pm »
I think people have experienced or seen some higher level trims of cars and let that halo trickle down to the base ones....

i drove a base fiesta and found it exactly what i expected... a small car with little power and pretty well put together for the price.  was it "fun"? no... was it luxurious? nope... was it sporty?... naw. i'm sure an st would be a hoot, but that isn't what we're talking about.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2016, 12:50:47 pm »
The radio in the LX is the same as the EX in Canada I believe.  It's that same annoying volume adjustment

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2016, 01:38:39 pm »
The radio in the LX is the same as the EX in Canada I believe.  It's that same annoying volume adjustment

In all honesty though is an annoying volume adjustment going to be that big a deal in which vehicle you purchase? Its only annoying the first dozen times you go to use it - then once you're familiar with it you don't really care anymore because you know how it works. Unless there's a major design/logic flaw like having to change screens once or twice just to change the volume I don't really give these types of complaints much weight.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
Day-by-Day Review: 2016 Honda HR-V; Day 1
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2016, 01:45:19 pm »
It's annoying not because of how it works.   But because it doesn't work.   You touch the screen and slide your finger up and down etc.   Never goes to the right spot.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2016, 01:59:44 pm »

In all honesty though is an annoying volume adjustment going to be that big a deal in which vehicle you purchase? Its only annoying the first dozen times you go to use it - then once you're familiar with it you don't really care anymore because you know how it works. Unless there's a major design/logic flaw like having to change screens once or twice just to change the volume I don't really give these types of complaints much weight.
You'd be surprised how quickly these small flaws add up. Of course, each person's adaptations will vary.

For example, I knew the Mazda3 had a terrible blind spot when test driving multiple times. "It's okay, I'll get used to it". I never did, and it  :banghead: everytime I put the car in reverse...which is every time you park. Same thing with the lack of redundant < > buttons on the dash to change track or radio station.....yes there is the steering wheel buttons, but it remained annoying right up to the day I sold it.

For me, lack of tactile feedback on key button functions is a deal-killer.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2016, 03:20:04 pm »

Because it was a CUV or because it was base?

I'm not into CUV's but a lot of people love them so that's fine. 

As for base vs loaded I feel sorry for people who check off every must have option box and then don't understand why they live paycheck to paycheck. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2016, 03:28:55 pm »
I see so many RX350s without their lights on at night.  I guess their base models didn't have it. 
RX stalk has 4 options, actually:
1) Full Auto
2) Parking Lights
3) Low-beams on
4) All off

...the latter of which boggles my mind.  My father consistently left it on #3 because he liked the fancy HIDs...and even then, the lights shut off after a delay or if you lock the car remotely (lock button x2). 

The in-law's (soon-to-be) CX-3's smart-key system is funny...if Papa opens the door on the driver's side, and Mama also has a key in her purse and grabs the handle to open the door, bells are going off like crazy.  The doors open, but the car is very, very confused.

In all honesty though is an annoying volume adjustment going to be that big a deal in which vehicle you purchase?
Yes.  Go try out Honda's new 'system'.  It really is more annoying than you could imagine.  If you're the driver, it's ok because you'll use the steering wheel controls and they work well...but any passenger would flip (as would your ear drums - the volume slider means that volume skyrockets or mutes with nary nothing in between).

It is THAT bad.

...as is the engine pairing in this vehicle.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2016, 03:34:41 pm »

As for base vs loaded I feel sorry for people who check off every must have option box and then don't understand why they live paycheck to paycheck. 

Because it's a base model, noisy contraption.  He owns a Camaro, a BMW 325i and an X3  None are loaded, just this feels like a penalty box.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2016, 03:53:37 pm »
I was sifting through the pictures on the review.......why is there that awkward bottle holder behind the centre console for the rear bench? Seems like it simply gets in the way of entry/exit/storage.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2016, 04:04:57 pm »
Because it's a base model, noisy contraption.  He owns a Camaro, a BMW 325i and an X3  None are loaded, just this feels like a penalty box.

I kind of feel bad for someone who thought buying two BMWs was a wise life choice.  :stick: ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2016, 04:58:05 pm »

Is the loaded version quieter?   The HR-V came in second in your last comparison.  Just seems odd it would get such a negative reaction given it beat 7 other vehicles. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2016, 05:06:07 pm »

Is the loaded version quieter?   The HR-V came in second in your last comparison.  Just seems odd it would get such a negative reaction given it beat 7 other vehicles.

Easy to criticize this segment.  Hence the negative feedback.  Louder than a Buick, quieter than a Harley!