Author Topic: Jan1 2016 - New crosswalk laws in Ontario  (Read 12002 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Jan1 2016 - New crosswalk laws in Ontario
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 11:36:55 pm »
Such idiocy.....take away the right from pedestrians and that might make them be a bit more careful.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Jan1 2016 - New crosswalk laws in Ontario
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 12:03:05 am »
It applies exclusively for crossovers. Which means anywhere you see those yellow X signs (sometimes accompanied with flashing lights activated by pedestrians). Basically you can't start to move until the pedestrian has completed the crossing.

Note this does not apply at traffic light crosswalks or other crosswalks.

In any case it makes sense to make motorists wait, they've got their nice climate controlled box, and walking should be encouraged.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Jan1 2016 - New crosswalk laws in Ontario
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 12:08:00 am »
^^^ thanks!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 07:12:45 am »
People WALK on those pale spindly matchsticks!! ??? .....Oh to be an ORTHO Man  Ortho Man..run along kiddies nothing to see here except gore and splintered tiberii,,,,lickety splint.....X marks the spot..not humerus enuf fer ya...pull them bones and make a wish..............we need laws for this!!!???common sense has escaped to a warmer climate :'( :'( :popo: :popo: :popo: :popo:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 07:16:12 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 10:07:33 am »
It applies exclusively for crossovers. Which means anywhere you see those yellow X signs (sometimes accompanied with flashing lights activated by pedestrians). Basically you can't start to move until the pedestrian has completed the crossing.

In any case it makes sense to make motorists wait, they've got their nice climate controlled box, and walking should be encouraged.

I'm not so sure the "crossover" is that limited in its definition, and we should get clarification somehow.

Note in this link the various signage that isn't yellow X, including the very common black and white X, that indicate a crossover.

http://www.trafficwiki.org/index.php/Pedestrian_Crossover

Also note in the link you provided that school crossings are also included in this law.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 10:22:36 am »

I'm not so sure the "crossover" is that limited in its definition, and we should get clarification somehow.

Note in this link the various signage that isn't yellow X, including the very common black and white X, that indicate a crossover.

http://www.trafficwiki.org/index.php/Pedestrian_Crossover

Also note in the link you provided that school crossings are also included in this law.

Good point. I forgot about School Crossings. https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2015/08/new-rules-of-the-road-effective-september-1-2015.html  <- The MTO's own website specifically mentions School Crossings and Crossovers.

This guy offers an explanation, though it's not official. http://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/5789120-road-ahead-i-got-it-wrong-no-crosswalk-changes-are-coming/

Basically, the number of places this actually changes the rules is relatively few.

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 02:43:00 pm »
and here I thought it was always the case that technically you were supposed to stop if the pedestrian was anywhere in the crosswalk.

Anyway .. Fob .. disagree with you.  I find when standing on a corner obviously wanting to cross the road .. the vast majority of cars just ignore me and won't stop at all.  So, obviously I don't think the problem is only that pedestrians need to be more careful ... drivers need to flex their ankle a wee bit (on the brake, that is)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 03:28:08 pm »
and here I thought it was always the case that technically you were supposed to stop if the pedestrian was anywhere in the crosswalk.

Anyway .. Fob .. disagree with you.  I find when standing on a corner obviously wanting to cross the road .. the vast majority of cars just ignore me and won't stop at all.  So, obviously I don't think the problem is only that pedestrians need to be more careful ... drivers need to flex their ankle a wee bit (on the brake, that is)

+1

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 03:37:32 pm »
Why is it always a  CROSS walk...never a FUNNY or Happy Walk guess ya all ain't HIGH STEPPERS... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: ...10 points fer each lil varmit with too big a back pak...starting tamarra... ;D :pimp: :shuffle: >:D :banana: :run:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 04:22:15 pm »

Edmonton's poor driver attitude to pedestrians is only exceed by the drivers in St. Albert.  We might be lacking in rig-rockets out in the "affluent burbs" but in return we get inattentive soccer-parents in SUVs and vans that completely ignore the marked crosswalks.  Living close to a school, here's what I see...

Parent drives kids the six blocks to school - to avoid the hordes of pedo-vans roaming the neighbourhood.  Parent drives through marked crosswalk with people waiting to cross.  Parent double parks and then jay-walks with their kid while hollering at other drivers to "slow down and pay attention."

Give me a ticket book and the city's financial situation would become a lot more rosy.  Driving through a marked crosswalk with pedestrians waiting to cross is a $600 ticket.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 04:56:32 pm »
^^ How much is the jay-walking ticket?
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 05:00:37 pm »

Edmonton's poor driver attitude to pedestrians is only exceed by the drivers in St. Albert.  We might be lacking in rig-rockets out in the "affluent burbs" but in return we get inattentive soccer-parents in SUVs and vans that completely ignore the marked crosswalks.  Living close to a school, here's what I see...

Parent drives kids the six blocks to school - to avoid the hordes of pedo-vans roaming the neighbourhood.  Parent drives through marked crosswalk with people waiting to cross.  Parent double parks and then jay-walks with their kid while hollering at other drivers to "slow down and pay attention."

Give me a ticket book and the city's financial situation would become a lot more rosy.  Driving through a marked crosswalk with pedestrians waiting to cross is a $600 ticket.
Thats because the vast majority of pedestrians in Edmonton are suicidal and far too much depend on the drivers reaction time. The amount I've seen blindly dart out into traffic without looking, nose down in their phone with their headphones in is scary. Or the ones jaywalking who take their sweet time illegally crossing. Or the ones that move across the street at a glacier pace because they are talking to their stupid friends.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 10:33:17 pm »

Thats because the vast majority of pedestrians in Edmonton are suicidal and far too much depend on the drivers reaction time. The amount I've seen blindly dart out into traffic without looking, nose down in their phone with their headphones in is scary. Or the ones jaywalking who take their sweet time illegally crossing. Or the ones that move across the street at a glacier pace because they are talking to their stupid friends.

Sounds like Toronto.

Also, Glacier Pace  :rofl:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 08:29:57 am »
Get a move on.tha beer store is aboot ta open...sheesh.....lil backpacking Sherpa midgets  time to bring back the strap & cane 'eh TEACH!!!! :stick: :idea:

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 08:07:08 pm »
And we are supposed to know about these new laws how exactly?  ???

It is the responsibility of the MTO to send out updates to each and every driver.

In aviation, we get updates from Transport Canada every 28 or 56 days. They are sheets inserted into the AIP binder that every licenced pilot has.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 08:24:36 pm »
And we are supposed to know about these new laws how exactly?  ???

It is the responsibility of the MTO to send out updates to each and every driver.

In aviation, we get updates from Transport Canada every 28 or 56 days. They are sheets inserted into the AIP binder that every licenced pilot has.

Uh, I think most licensed pilots threw out their AIP binder years ago. Hope you're still not using yours, as it's around 8 years out of date by now. And if you're still getting pages in the mail, someone at Canada Post is just messing with you.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 09:39:30 pm »
Uh, I think most licensed pilots threw out their AIP binder years ago. Hope you're still not using yours, as it's around 8 years out of date by now. And if you're still getting pages in the mail, someone at Canada Post is just messing with you.

That was years ago when I was a flight instructor.

The point though is you were informed by TC. How is the MTO informing drivers?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 09:40:40 pm »
How is the MTO informing drivers?

They way they always do!  Give you a ticket and say "You should have known".
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 09:42:18 pm »
How is the MTO informing drivers?

They way they always do!  Give you a ticket and say "You should have known".

Actually they would have a tough tome winning that in court when the only way you'd find out is through the media, be it the TV or internet...not mandatory to have either.