Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2016 Chevrolet Colorado vs GMC Canyon Diesel vs Toyota Tacoma  (Read 28477 times)

Offline drive67

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-28
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tacoma,Celica, HondaCRX, VW Scirocco,Ram,

With the highway fuel numbers (9.2L/100km and 8.2L/100km) between the V6 and the oil burner, that works out to $200/year in savings for someone driving 20,000/year and using $1/L for both fuels. So the diesel is much more expensive, much slower and has only marginally better fuel consumption. I'm not seeing the "it doesn't come close" part.

As of Saturday, when I drove past the Shell marque, Regular was 87.4, Diesel 97.9.  Diesel has been much higher than gas for a while now...

20k/year on the compression ignition is 1640 litres, 1840 for the sparker.    $1605.56 vs $1608.10  as of right now.  Less than $3 difference per year,   It would take 1500 years to pay for itself......before you factor the maintenance cost.... (resale value nothwithstanding of course)

However not all of us live where you live.  In the Vancouver area regular was $1.24 this morning and diesel was $1.04.  20 cents a litre cheaper + significantly better mileage means for many people the fuel saving will off set the extra monthly payment for the Diesel engine.   Meaning you save money from day one.
In Vancouver it is warm enough use your home made Bio diesel all year long. It's not only $4400 for the diesel but only available with the crew cab automatic .

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile

With the highway fuel numbers (9.2L/100km and 8.2L/100km) between the V6 and the oil burner, that works out to $200/year in savings for someone driving 20,000/year and using $1/L for both fuels. So the diesel is much more expensive, much slower and has only marginally better fuel consumption. I'm not seeing the "it doesn't come close" part.

As of Saturday, when I drove past the Shell marque, Regular was 87.4, Diesel 97.9.  Diesel has been much higher than gas for a while now...

20k/year on the compression ignition is 1640 litres, 1840 for the sparker.    $1605.56 vs $1608.10  as of right now.  Less than $3 difference per year,   It would take 1500 years to pay for itself......before you factor the maintenance cost.... (resale value nothwithstanding of course)

However not all of us live where you live.  In the Vancouver area regular was $1.24 this morning and diesel was $1.04.  20 cents a litre cheaper + significantly better mileage means for many people the fuel saving will off set the extra monthly payment for the Diesel engine.   Meaning you save money from day one.

There's that crazy diesel-head math again.  :stick:

On day one you are in the hole by the cost of the diesel option. If diesel use results in operational savings vs gas then those savings slowly chip away away at that day one deficit. It will be many days after day one before you actually save money.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 04:10:02 pm by Cord »
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
it doesn’t come close to the the 2.8L Duramax Diesel in the Canyon when it comes to performance or fuel economy.

Wut?

0-60 (4x4 V6) 7.3sec
0-60 (4x4 I4) 9.3sec
0-60 (4x4 I4 diesel) 10sec

^^^ surprising huh? I keep saying diesels are weak sauce. If one is looking for better efficiency and longevity, it may be the right choice...but don't come tell me that performance is why one chose a diesel because modern gas engines are much better at handling any day to day duty without any fuss.

It's actually the other way around.  In normal day to day driving diesels are better.  Their power is low in the rev range where you spend your time.  Watch your tach sometime.   0-60 times are fun for magazine comparisons but people rarely drive with their foot pinned to the floor in real life. 

It would be interesting comparing 0-50 or 0-60 km/h considering we spend way more time doing this than 0-100 km/h.  Diesels have to shift a couple more time than gas engines to get to 100 km/h so there are inherently at a disadvantage on this aspect of performance.

Gas engines do last very long now, so much so that diesel engine durability (longevity) is rarely a determining factor nowadays: we are replacing a pickup with 450,000 km and another one with over 350,000 km., both with gas engines. When ever I take a taxi I often ask how many kms the car has after listening to a concerto of loose sway bar bushings and the answer usually is between 300,000 and 400,000 km.

By the time a well maintained gas engine fails and needs to be replaced the condition of the vehicle usually makes it a moot point.

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
Tacoma would be my choice here, no doubt about it.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
Can I post this now?  ;D

I am thinking that is outside of warranty.

There is a recall for it,doesn't matter if it is outside the warranty or not. Friend of mine has an 05 Tundra,they replaced the frame on his.
And he is not the original owner of the vehicle.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
Can I post this now?  ;D

I am thinking that is outside of warranty.

There is a recall for it,doesn't matter if it is outside the warranty or not. Friend of mine has an 05 Tundra,they replaced the frame on his.
And he is not the original owner of the vehicle.

^^^^^^

Toyota really stepped up and I give them full props for that.
What would GM have done?   ;)

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
This statements says it all
It’s noisy on-road, moaning and groaning while towing a load, and is a lot less refined than the competitors, inside and out. Where the GM twins have a quiet, comfortable and “mature” cabin, the Tacoma’s is playful and modern and probably wouldn’t appeal to the older buyer.

I didn't like that blanket statement.  Or at least I feel it's a blanket statement. 
My truck, FWIT, doesn't moan and groan while cruising down the highway, towing or empty.
If i'm taking off to merge or making an aggressive pass, yes, it will groan.   I don't really consider it moan.
The truck doesn't really feel like it's struggling, it's moving along (hey it's not a race car) quite well with a mean growl.

Does it also growl when towing on the ups or when accelarating quickly.... yes... 

But it is pretty darn refined when simply cruising.

I also don't get the "mature" GM cabin.   Aside from a screen being there, the looks and knobs really don't seem too different than my dad's old 90s Sierra.   So maybe that's what "mature" means   :P
I honestly prefer the layout of my Taco, and by that, I prefer it from the GM Twins AND the NEW Taco.
Maybe that Fack up on the new Taco  ???

Maybe, maybe not.   They obviously listened to the critics that stated the truck looked like it was 2004 and made some big changes.
I've only sat in the new one ones, but my first thoughts were..... "hmmm.... I really actually like my dash better"
And I think the old design offered more storage space as well.   I could be wrong though.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
This comparo tells me only one thing - there isn't any competition for the big American three. The number one manufacturer is dead last. The diesel is absolutely without any benefits in North America. And the winner is GM! Good grief!

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
Looks like they may have an issue with these trucks and are delaying shipping them to customers.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/why-wont-gm-deliver-its-huge-backlog-of-diesel-chevy-co-1748533129

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
Does anyone know the cost of replacing the timing belt on the GM Diesel?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
This comparo tells me only one thing - there isn't any competition for the big American three. The number one manufacturer is dead last. The diesel is absolutely without any benefits in North America. And the winner is GM! Good grief!

I've now driven all three of these vehicles and I agree 100% with the conclusion that Lesley made, surprised the toyota is so bad actually...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne

I've now driven all three of these vehicles and I agree 100% with the conclusion that Lesley made, surprised the toyota is so bad actually...

Don't get Blotter upset now!   ;)

Offline drive67

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile

Never go by what other people think drive it and make your own conclusions. Real world driving, what you are doing with the truck, how much driving is all factors. The people that own and drive the vehicle have a opinion I value the good and bad. Someone reviews a vehicle by taking it home parking it in the driveway writing about it like they are an expert by reading the brochure does not mean much.   

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300

On day one you are in the hole by the cost of the diesel option. If diesel use results in operational savings vs gas then those savings slowly chip away away at that day one deficit. It will be many days after day one before you actually save money.

I've heard this same argument from friends who have dumped $70k on an HD diesel to haul their RVs and quads a few times a year. "Yeah, but I use so much less fuel when I haul my 5th wheel.....4 times a year"....  ::) ::)
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
I've heard this same argument from friends who have dumped $70k on an HD diesel to haul their RVs and quads a few times a year. "Yeah, but I use so much less fuel when I haul my 5th wheel.....4 times a year"....  ::) ::)

Diesel can still make sense for high mileage guys, but for most people, they're better off getting a gasser.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne

Never go by what other people think drive it and make your own conclusions. Real world driving, what you are doing with the truck, how much driving is all factors. The people that own and drive the vehicle have a opinion I value the good and bad. Someone reviews a vehicle by taking it home parking it in the driveway writing about it like they are an expert by reading the brochure does not mean much.

Blotter and I have chatted about his truck.  Works great for his needs.  I wouldn't even consider the Tacoma for my needs.  I like the GM interior better.  And I wouldn't buy this kind of vehicle new.  So a 3-4 year old GMC Canyon V6 will be a much better value than a 3-4 year old Tacoma.  But I suspect I won't even buy a truck.  A Ridgeline, or a Highlander is more likely.  Still a few years away. 

As you say, I like the feedback from owners.  But appreciate the test drives from the writers here.  Saves me a lot of time.  And they know what to look for.  Many owners aren't going to give the negative feedback after they just spent a lot of money. 

Offline drive67

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile

How many diesels have you owned, compared to the gas trucks you drive, what you use your trucks for, and the mileage you drive your trucks a year?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300

Diesel can still make sense for high mileage guys, but for most people, they're better off getting a gasser.

One of them hauls a skid steer 4 or 5 days a weeks and drives all over hells half acres, his Duramax makes all kinds of sense.....the vast majority of them, no, but whatever, their choice.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
How many diesels have you owned, compared to the gas trucks you drive, what you use your trucks for, and the mileage you drive your trucks a year?

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
It's not what people need, it's what they want.. I don't need a HD truck, but I still want a Cummins Ram (as a second vehicle).. Makes no rational sense, but since when is buying cars/trucks purely rational?