Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2016 Chevrolet Colorado vs GMC Canyon Diesel vs Toyota Tacoma  (Read 28467 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
How many diesels have you owned, compared to the gas trucks you drive, what you use your trucks for, and the mileage you drive your trucks a year?

I have owned 0 diesels because I cannot justify the extra spend on the initial purchase, maintenance and repair for the few times I will pull my trailer. Usually about 20-30000km per year...why??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
This comparo tells me only one thing - there isn't any competition for the big American three. The number one manufacturer is dead last. The diesel is absolutely without any benefits in North America. And the winner is GM! Good grief!

I've now driven all three of these vehicles and I agree 100% with the conclusion that Lesley made, surprised the toyota is so bad actually...

Don't get Blotter upset now!   ;)

Never go by what other people think drive it and make your own conclusions. Real world driving, what you are doing with the truck, how much driving is all factors. The people that own and drive the vehicle have a opinion I value the good and bad. Someone reviews a vehicle by taking it home parking it in the driveway writing about it like they are an expert by reading the brochure does not mean much.

Blotter and I have chatted about his truck.  Works great for his needs.  I wouldn't even consider the Tacoma for my needs.  I like the GM interior better.  And I wouldn't buy this kind of vehicle new.  So a 3-4 year old GMC Canyon V6 will be a much better value than a 3-4 year old Tacoma.  But I suspect I won't even buy a truck.  A Ridgeline, or a Highlander is more likely.  Still a few years away. 

As you say, I like the feedback from owners.  But appreciate the test drives from the writers here.  Saves me a lot of time.  And they know what to look for.  Many owners aren't going to give the negative feedback after they just spent a lot of money.

Blotter won't get upset.
it seems just about all the reviews put the GM twins ahead.   I haven't driven one, but looking at the price between them and the Taco, the look, options, specs and so on.. (everything but the drive)
I still like the Tacoma better.   I wouldn't change a thing if I was to do it again.  While obviously the Taco doesn't go without faults, I truly don't understand the level of negativity.
It seems to be a truck that people like to bash or love insanely. 

I think reviews about the power, noise levels and comfort also have a lot to do with what you're used to.
Compared to the Matrix, the Tacoma is much more quite, powerful and actually comfortable (yes, more comfortable!)
I've driven my dad's Ridgeline very often as well.   There are elements of that truck that I found more comfortable, yet parts of the seating I actually like better in the Taco.
Both trucks had grunts when accelerating but the Ridgeline obviously didn't drive much like a "truck".

Looking back, we wanted and decided a small truck would be best.  The Ridgeline's box was too short and the twins were just about to come out.
I think even if I drove the twins now and liked the drive slightly better, I'd go Toyota anyways.