Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Volkswagen Passat Highline  (Read 20317 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Volkswagen Passat Highline
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2015, 11:03:01 am »
You sure that it's Bavarian sized headache?  I was sure it was a Wolfsburg sized one.  :P
What's wrong with Wolfsburg? Sure it's a little grey and drab half the year, but it has a small shopping centre and quite a nice Christmas market this time of year. And then there's also the Autostadt on the VW Campus which is quite a nice visit with various activities throughout the year including its own skating rink and Christmas market right now.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2015, 12:22:56 pm »
The first time greengs mentioned it, I checked. If I look at the seat and wheel, it's fairly obvious that the wheel is a bit offset, but in practice, I don't notice it.

It's not nearly as bad as something like the wheel offset of the Fox body Mustangs. That was really obvious.

I still can't forget the millions of Chevettes and Corsicas/Berrettas Gm sold with the steering wheel awfully canted to the left.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2015, 12:45:57 pm »
The Passats styling will age well, it still looks modern and contemporary to me, just not flashy. I find vehicles with really adventurous styling tend to look dated much quicker.

I miss VW's splendid "W8" engine option though.

W8 =/= splendid...at all...maybe if you could get it with a really comprehensive warranty and then trade it in the day the warranty ran out, sure. Those engines are a Bavarian forest sized headache.

Y'all sarcasm detector is busted lol. The W8 did sound lovely....when it ran.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2015, 01:37:25 pm »
You sure that it's Bavarian sized headache?  I was sure it was a Wolfsburg sized one.  :P
What's wrong with Wolfsburg? Sure it's a little grey and drab half the year, but it has a small shopping centre and quite a nice Christmas market this time of year. And then there's also the Autostadt on the VW Campus which is quite a nice visit with various activities throughout the year including its own skating rink and Christmas market right now.
You missed the joke dude.  VW is head quartered in Wolfsburg, hence the joke.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2015, 01:41:34 pm »
The Passats styling will age well, it still looks modern and contemporary to me, just not flashy. I find vehicles with really adventurous styling tend to look dated much quicker.

I miss VW's splendid "W8" engine option though.

W8 =/= splendid...at all...maybe if you could get it with a really comprehensive warranty and then trade it in the day the warranty ran out, sure. Those engines are a Bavarian forest sized headache.

Y'all sarcasm detector is busted lol. The W8 did sound lovely....when it ran.

Ha ha ok then. I guess I have a hard time distinguishing sarcasm and  VW fan boi.  Early 2000s were the high point of VW dash rubbers.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2016, 08:29:22 pm »
I assume they haven't fixed this in the Passat?  Once you notice it, it's hard to get over how bad off center it is.

I don't notice it.

Drove in a 12-car comparo, jumping from one car to another and ... did not notice it, even though I knew it was there. What we all noticed however was how bad the Legacy brakes / steering / CVT were.

After 48 hrs with a 2016 Passat CL ... I still did not notice it. The console is too far left though  ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 RS 6 Avant
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2016, 01:14:34 pm »
I assume they haven't fixed this in the Passat?  Once you notice it, it's hard to get over how bad off center it is.

I don't notice it.

Lol, I know you mean "Comfortline" but I was just reminded of the 90s "CL" trim level that Volkswagen used to offer...

Drove in a 12-car comparo, jumping from one car to another and ... did not notice it, even though I knew it was there. What we all noticed however was how bad the Legacy brakes / steering / CVT were.

After 48 hrs with a 2016 Passat CL ... I still did not notice it. The console is too far left though  ;D
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks