Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Honda Civic Touring  (Read 16282 times)

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Honda Civic Touring
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 11:13:57 pm »
Also the colours are just waft. Crystal Black Pearl, Modern Steel Metallic, Taffeta White and Aegean Blue Metallic - You can only have the blue in spring 2016.   Why so little choice in colours.

I just looked up the blue.  I like it.  Hopefully, it will be available on one of the lower trim levels.

My preference for colours is usually limited to red and white, so the low number of colour choices doesn't bother me too much.  The only minus is that you'll see cars that look almost exactly like yours more often.  Although, the lack of silver seems strange.
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 09:44:16 am »
Looking forward to seeing what Honda does with the Si.  The Turbo 1.5T civic seems like a good engine.  C&D tested it at 94mph trap in the 1/4 mile which is down right fast for this class of car. (quite a bit faster than Mazda3 2.5GT for example).

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 10:25:19 am »
Butterface
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 10:43:20 am »
No manual trans except in base models...forget it!

The LX is already pretty loaded. Heated front seats, automatic climate control, Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

Even the base DX has Bluetooth, heated mirrors, power windows and doors with keyless, Siri Eyes Free, automatic climate control (no A/C), rearview camera.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 11:01:32 am »
Ah yes, THAT tachometer! Well, obviously my brain was severely affected by the lack of a volume knob...

what a waste of time having a tach with a CVT.  CVTs are dog vomit. as a matter of fact why have a tach with an automatic? just go electric and get it over with. 

overall the design is a huge improvement over the last civic but that uni brow chrome in the front keeps reminding me of my grandma's. (my grandma's brow wasn't that big and shiny though.  and yes she came from an unnamed part of the old soviet block.)

Helps you drive economically.  With the Altima, bring the revs up to 2000rpm up until 10kph to get going, let them drop to 1750rpm up to 20kph, then once the torque converter locks up let the revs drop down to 1250rpm to accelerate to 60kph (city driving).  On the highway, bring the revs up to 2500rpm until you hit 60kph, then if the road is clear behind you, let the rpm's drop to 2000rpm to accelerate the rest of the way to 100kph or cruising speed.  NOW I can do it by feel and the way the engine sounds, but when I was 'learning' how to drive the Altima economically, the tach was very helpful.

Unlike a conventional automatic where throttle position determines rate of acceleration and RPM varies, with a CVT, throttle position determines RPM, which in turn determines rate of acceleration.  I would argue that a tach is more helpful with a CVT than with a conventional automatic.

Granted for people like my spouse who don't drive with an eye to economy at all, the tach is useless.  Likewise, when I drove manual vehicles, after getting habituated to them I found I used the tach as little as I do in my current car.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:05:09 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 11:15:33 am »
Toyota had better upgrade the Corolla engine or the Civic will leave it in the dust both literally and in sales volume.
Having not yet driven the 2.0L in the new Civic (base-to-base...), I would agree with you only in terms of peak #s.  The Corolla's engine is not anaemic in terms of actual speed/drivability by econobox standards.  I wouldn't necessarily pick a Civic over the Corolla by virtue of the new engine alone.  I'd likely take the Civic over the new Corolla for other reasons, but I wouldn't consider the Civic unless it had the LED lowbeams since I hate underpowered halogens (I drive a lot at night outside of the city).

Ah yes, THAT tachometer! Well, obviously my brain was severely affected by the lack of a volume knob...
;D

Agreed - the slider is really, really irritating to use.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 09:31:16 pm »
Also the colours are just waft. Crystal Black Pearl, Modern Steel Metallic, Taffeta White and Aegean Blue Metallic - You can only have the blue in spring 2016.   Why so little choice in colours.

I just looked up the blue.  I like it.  Hopefully, it will be available on one of the lower trim levels.

My preference for colours is usually limited to red and white, so the low number of colour choices doesn't bother me too much.  The only minus is that you'll see cars that look almost exactly like yours more often.  Although, the lack of silver seems strange.

The States have more colours. They even have silver, Red, Burgundy, Even 2 shades of Blue. Why not here in Canada?

Offline Bruins7

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Audi A5, 2015 Kia Forte EX
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2015, 12:10:54 pm »
This car has definitely vaulted itself to the top of the compact car class. The only negative are the looks. Like a lot of Japanese cars lately, they seem to be trying too hard and overstyling their cars with contours and creases placed seemingly at random. The Mazda 3 is better looking both inside and out, and in all likelihood be a better handler. The Honda has the reputation of being more reliable and not being as bad of "ruster" working for it.

I applaud Honda for not taking the easy way out with regards to engines. They could have just offered the old 1.8 or just the new 2.0. By offering an optional engine that is not only a HiPo version (like a Focus ST, WRX, etc) it gives consumers a car that can at least get out of its own way. 160-180 hp in a compact makes a much more enjoyable drive than 130ish hp almost 10 second 0-60 mph car.........looking at you Sentra, Corolla, iM.......

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2015, 10:19:07 am »
Dropped off the Odyssey for maintenance this morning and checked out the new Civic. Very nice.
Nice cockpit with good quality materials. The steering wheel feels and looks great. Not sure about the small(ish) buttons that require precision and attention to use accurately. But otherwise, very nice package.

The car looks much better in darker colours. In light colours, the rear lights stand out (and not in a good way) and the screws in the wheel well are unsightly. Both issues are well masked by darker body colour.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:20:56 am by whaddaiknow »

Offline bone

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford F-150. Mustang
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2015, 10:22:57 am »
I would chose the base LX with Honda's slick shifting 6-speed manual and negotiate a good price on Honda Civic mags for summer use. The steelies would be used for winter tires.

Offline TypeR

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2015, 10:48:50 am »
"and it's 25% stiffer...as was the last one and the 5 before that"???? maybe make them of Glass or concrete....shattering on impact...after driving these UBER STIFFIES do I have to call my Dr after 4 hours of driving!!??

The body is stiffer which actually allows them to run a softer suspension to maintain the same cornering performance. I've driven the new Civic and the ride/handling balance really impressed me. It soaks up bumps very a well and also corners very well, it's a very refined ride.

I've now gone through Honda's site and am actually fairly disappointed in the packaging.  Case in point, it's steel wheels until you go to the EX ($24,364.75), the CVT is "optional" (as in, you have to pay more for it - $1,300 on top of moving up from the DX to the LX), Honda Sensing is $2,200 (Subaru's EyeSight is $1,300), gotta move up to the EX to get a moonroof ($3,700), and same goes for Variable Intermittent Wipers - need to get the EX for it!!!

Not sure where you're getting your numbers from but the MSRP on the EX is $22590, not $24364.75. And the Honda Sensing version is $1000 more at $23590, not $2200 more. I agree it would be nice if they offered a moonroof in the lower trims like some of the competition, but otherwise those trims look to be pretty well equipped.

It's a Honda Crosstour in a Civic body...saw one yesterday and was quite concerned about the utility of the back seat.

The looks are deceiving, there is nothing to be concerned about with the utility of the back seat. It has as much room if not more than a TLX.

The States have more colours. They even have silver, Red, Burgundy, Even 2 shades of Blue. Why not here in Canada?

They do offer Silver, Burgundy and one shade of Blue on many trims in Canada but not on all of them (not on the Honda Sensing versions of the LX and EX). It would be really nice if there was a broader selection of colors here on all trims and also the availability of that red and other blue color.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 10:52:11 am by TypeR »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2015, 11:29:28 am »

It's a Honda Crosstour in a Civic body...saw one yesterday and was quite concerned about the utility of the back seat.

The looks are deceiving, there is nothing to be concerned about with the utility of the back seat. It has as much room if not more than a TLX.

That's not saying much.  I can't sit behind myself in a TLX.  I tried.  Can't even get into the back seat without some contortioning.  It's possible if I move the seat up, but that would be awfully inconvenient for a family.  And I'm an average 6'-1".

Not that I'm faulting the Civic for being on the smaller side.  It is after all a compact car and is understood that it will be tight for fulltime family use.  Rather it's the 'midsize' TLX that I have the issue with.