Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Honda Civic Touring  (Read 16283 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2016 Honda Civic Touring
« on: December 10, 2015, 06:31:03 am »

Honda sends the Civic way uptown.
Read More...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Honda Civic Touring
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 07:59:16 am »
If they left it in Graffiti Lane any longer do U think the  white canvas could been blinged up a wee bit :o .
Seems a big move upmarket..top levels impinging on TSX and Accord territory.

another issue that must come from Corporate speak that all U reviewers latch onto I FIND UNHELPFUL..
"and it's 25% stiffer...as was the last one and the 5 before that"???? maybe make them of Glass or concrete....shattering on impact...after driving these UBER STIFFIES do I have to call my Dr after 4 hours of driving!!??
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 09:05:34 am »
Look through the wheel and there’s a large, fully digital speedometer with various info displays within, including a turbo boost graph. To the right, a fuel gauge. To the left, temperature gauge. No tachometer though.

^^ I guess your presser Civic listened and grew a tach for you, Peter!

and trunk volume shoots up by about 20 percent.
...except it has intruding hinge arms...

Still no manual shift modes, far too many dummy covers given that you're driving the top o' the line model, and a prominent warning label that cannot be removed - really cheapens up the interior.  How ugly.

Otherwise, this Civic is now the benchmark.  Perfect?  no.  Upmarket?  Probably not, either.  Upscale?  yes.  Honda made some very good calls here, and one could not go wrong with either engine, although I suspect the increased mass will make the more powerful base engine (2.0L) more of a necessity than an upgrade...

Edit:

I've now gone through Honda's site and am actually fairly disappointed in the packaging.  Case in point, it's steel wheels until you go to the EX ($24,364.75), the CVT is "optional" (as in, you have to pay more for it - $1,300 on top of moving up from the DX to the LX), Honda Sensing is $2,200 (Subaru's EyeSight is $1,300), gotta move up to the EX to get a moonroof ($3,700), and same goes for Variable Intermittent Wipers - need to get the EX for it!!!

These are all relatively minor, but seems like a step backwards in terms of Korean-like value offerings.

So in terms of getting a volume model, the Civic LX CVT is $20,190, compared to the Corolla's LE CVT is $19,960 - so not far different.

...but shoppers have to decide what's important to them.  The Corolla gives LED lowbeams standard, whereas you need to step up to the Touring to get them with the Civic.  A moonroof can be had in a Corolla for less, as well as variable intermittent wipers.

I just find the above disappointing.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:19:22 am by No-san »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2016 Honda Civic Touring
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 09:20:06 am »
It's a Honda Crosstour in a Civic body...saw one yesterday and was quite concerned about the utility of the back seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 09:29:57 am »
I've now gone through Honda's site and am actually fairly disappointed in the packaging.  Case in point, it's steel wheels until you go to the EX ($24,364.75), the CVT is "optional" (as in, you have to pay more for it - $1,300 on top of moving up from the DX to the LX), Honda Sensing is $2,200 (Subaru's EyeSight is $1,300), gotta move up to the EX to get a moonroof ($3,700), and same goes for Variable Intermittent Wipers - need to get the EX for it!!!

These are all relatively minor, but seems like a step backwards in terms of Korean-like value offerings.

So in terms of getting a volume model, the Civic LX CVT is $20,190, compared to the Corolla's LE CVT is $19,960 - so not far different.

...but shoppers have to decide what's important to them.  The Corolla gives LED lowbeams standard, whereas you need to step up to the Touring to get them with the Civic.  A moonroof can be had in a Corolla for less, as well as variable intermittent wipers.

Also, comparing a top-trim Corolla to this car isn't really a fair fight anymore.  This car is light years ahead of the Corolla in drivetrain, amenities and drivability.

I just find the above disappointing.

This is the way Honda has always done it though.  You've ALWAYS had to step up to an EX or an SI to get the sunroof.  Honda just packages all their goodies in the trim levels instead of making them individual options. 

This is the first time Honda has offered a turbocharged engine in our market.

First time HONDA has, yes, but as a corporation, Acura offered the RDX with a turbo-4 for years.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:32:56 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline drive67

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-28
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tacoma,Celica, HondaCRX, VW Scirocco,Ram,
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 09:53:50 am »
This should give the people who wanted the Si in automatic an option. Not too many people will use manual shift modes or a  tachometer, it's an automatic they do not want to think to much while commuting. The big debt with the Si was the lack of knobs or size of knob who has the biggest knob so you can see what is important to consumers.

Offline Corners

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 10:54:22 am »
No manual trans except in base models...forget it!

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 11:12:08 am »
..and typical Honda with their available exterior colours with the DX being only available in 3 choices, having to go to the EX to get a choice of 6.  Also typical Honda, if you get the LX you get a choice of 4 colours, but if you pay extra and get the Honda Sensing package you get reduced to the same 3 colours that you get on the base DX - pay more to get less choice  ???

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 12:45:14 pm »
What a HOME RUN!

The LX in manual is particularly sweet.  A member on here, of the highest esteem  ;D,  has procured one of these so it should show up in show and shine soon. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 03:45:36 pm »
No manual trans except in base models...forget it!
That is going to change.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 04:24:11 pm »
What a HOME RUN!

The LX in manual is particularly sweet.  A member on here, of the highest esteem  ;D,  has procured one of these so it should show up in show and shine soon.

i thought i was going to get a used deal out of it! damn!

decent little rig. not reinventing anything or anything unexpected in my mind. just what a civic should be.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 04:30:31 pm »
What a HOME RUN!

decent little rig. not reinventing anything or anything unexpected in my mind. just what a civic should be.

I see you, TooScoops, and my first thought about this Civic is:  Finally, a Civic that will finally give the Dart a run for its money :P

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 04:41:23 pm »
When I first saw a pic of the new Civic, I didn't really like.  It looked over styled me.  But it's beginning to grow on me.  That sloped roof is conducive to a Hatch set up though, which would be much better than a small trunk opening.  The interior is a huge improvement (nicer than the Accord to my eyes).   And the lackluster performance has certainly been addressed. 

Toyota had better upgrade the Corolla engine or the Civic will leave it in the dust both literally and in sales volume.

Offline PeterB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW GTI
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 04:47:54 pm »
Ah yes, THAT tachometer! Well, obviously my brain was severely affected by the lack of a volume knob...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 06:11:16 pm »
What a HOME RUN!

I see you, TooScoops, and my first thought about this Civic is:  Finally, a Civic that will finally give the Dart a run for its money :P

haha! the dart is a pretty good little car!.... but take away any deals i'd get on it..... i'd have to go civic 9/10 times, even if just for resale.... and we know i'm biased.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 06:17:57 pm »
You sure can't say that cars are "understated" in any way anymore!

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 07:39:29 pm »
I think I'd rather the non turbo 2.0 litre Civic in a Manual.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 07:39:36 pm »
Seems fine but withholding judgement until I get a good look at the hatchback version.  The only version I'd  be interested in anyhow. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:55:29 pm by PJ »

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 07:45:27 pm »
Also the colours are just waft. Crystal Black Pearl, Modern Steel Metallic, Taffeta White and Aegean Blue Metallic - You can only have the blue in spring 2016.   Why so little choice in colours.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 10:31:08 pm »
I've seen a couple on the roads now, and I will definitely admit that they look great.  I think Honda nailed the exterior.  I haven't seen the interior in the flesh so no comment there.  Our loaded 2012 EX-L has been solid from a reliability perspective, but both of us will be very happy giving it back when the lease is due in a couple of months.  Interior road noise is horrible and the the infotainment system is brutal.  Looks likes the new one has addressed the road noise too, so no doubt that they'll have a winner. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing