Author Topic: First Drive: 2016 Chevrolet Malibu  (Read 13157 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2016 Chevrolet Malibu
« on: December 09, 2015, 06:30:50 am »

All-new Malibu flaunts a polished ride and advanced high-tech.
Read More...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: First Drive: 2016 Chevrolet Malibu
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 07:02:31 am »
huge improvement, but the segment is so competitive...it really needs to wow in order to steal Camcord sales...

but I am sure the efficiency numbers will be very good
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 07:14:11 am »
It actually wows me. I think GM hit the nail on the head. The instrument cluster looks better than ATS and CTS ones and the dash looks better than anything Buick does today.

Too bad AWD is not available and I would still take a V6 but I know I am a marginal buyer...

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 07:55:18 am »
This car is built for one thing:  rental fleets. 

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 08:08:22 am »

Someone is stuck in the past just a bit... Funny as I see way more Hyundai and Kia vehicles in rental fleets than GM vehicles but even if the Malibu is still popular with some rental fleets... Here are examples of the few vehicles I have rented: 2015 Ford Edge Sport, several other Edges, Mustang convertible GT, Infiniti Q50. So are all the cars built for rental fleets too?

Cars that don't sell well may end up in rental fleets to move products but no manufacturer is building cars for rental fleet anymore. And making this assessment before the car has even had the chance to hit the market.

The Malibu is one of the 3 finalists for car of the year of the Detroit auto show with the Miata and the Civic. They too must be built for rental fleets, right?

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 08:13:30 am »
Nice looking car.

The fact that I can't order one without a turbo ( don't want a hybrid either ) leaves me out looking for something else.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 08:32:57 am »
So how does the price of a 2L turbo compare to an Accord?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 08:34:16 am »
Nice looking car.

The fact that I can't order one without a turbo ( don't want a hybrid either ) leaves me out looking for something else.

you may be soon not able to buy new...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 08:52:41 am »
It actually wows me. I think GM hit the nail on the head. The instrument cluster looks better than ATS and CTS ones and the dash looks better than anything Buick does today.
agree...i think it looks great (inside and out) and it seems like they really did a lot to improve this car...good job.

Too bad AWD is not available and I would still take a V6 but I know I am a marginal buyer...
while i would normally agree about the V6, you'd really need to drive it first...i was pretty much set to get the V6 option in the Sorento, but after driving the 2.0T, it got me...all that torque down low (which is where we are every day in city traffic anyway) allows the vehicle to move along with ease...now, i don't know where the torque curve in the Malibu is, but i'm sure it's pretty strong down low like most modern ones are (the Sorento's peak torque is 1450-3500 RPM).

all in all, if i were in the segment for a sedan in this class, i'd be taking it for a spin and a closer look.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 08:52:44 am »
A definite improvement over previous generations, might even be the most competitive Malibu since the  first generation back in the day.  That being said, it'll be hard to convince buyers to pick this over the Accord and Camry.  I can see this getting a few custmers from the Koreans, Ford, and Chrysler, but that's about it.  I expect a slight uptick in the first year, followed by a dive in sales and/or big GM deals.

I think GM would be better off optioning that turbo diesel engine in this rig to snag some of those shoppers who would typically go for the Passat TDI.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 09:57:58 am »
Sounds like a big improvement in driving dynamics and efficiency.  The exterior looks like a cross between a Chrysler 200 (rear) and a Camry (profile) but bigger and more bloated looking than either.  The front end has a mix of shapes that don't quite gel together, but still an improvement over the previous gen.   It's the over styled dash and floating center stack that would be a deal breaker for me, but I'm no GM fan anyway.  So, it won't be on my short list next time around either.   So far it's down to the Accord, Mazda6 and Passat in the non luxury sedan segment.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 10:06:30 am »
Its so weird, to me anyways, the white car was a really good looking, elegant design. The red one, cheap, econo, rental fleet. Amazing what colours can do. I like it....too bad it can only be had with an autotragic as that 250hp turbo sounds like a fun little engine.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 12:22:38 pm »
Someone is stuck in the past just a bit... Funny as I see way more Hyundai and Kia vehicles in rental fleets than GM vehicles
My most recent rental was a Buick Regal Turbo ;D

I agree re competition, too.  It's a good day when these are our choices.  The Malibu will stay relevant and that in and of itself is a big goal to meet these days.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 12:36:29 pm »
So how does the price of a 2L turbo compare to an Accord?

This interests me as well - particularly if you're buying it. I'm sure you can appreciate the apprehensiveness towards owning a blown motor long-term eh Pritch?! :)
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 03:31:16 pm »
Was interested in pricing comparisons too, however GM Canada's web site is on holidays it seems. I can't price a 2016 Malibu or a 2016 Camaro. The US GM site has no problem providing both.

Speaking from experience, the GM 2.0 turbo, when the HP ratings are around 250 HP like in this Malibu and my car, it has great torque from low revs, no lag. When it has higher HP ratings, the ATS for example which I think without looking is around 270, then its not so smooth and there is a bit of lag.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 04:13:59 pm »
Was interested in pricing comparisons too, however GM Canada's web site is on holidays it seems. I can't price a 2016 Malibu or a 2016 Camaro. The US GM site has no problem providing both.

Speaking from experience, the GM 2.0 turbo, when the HP ratings are around 250 HP like in this Malibu and my car, it has great torque from low revs, no lag. When it has higher HP ratings, the ATS for example which I think without looking is around 270, then its not so smooth and there is a bit of lag.
The unit in the Regal Turbo was plenty smooth in the entire RPM range.  I've not driven an ATS.

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 12:32:42 am »
It's a big improvement I think but still do not like GM's styling. Like they're  trying to hard.
Whos idea was it to put a chrome strip on each side the drivers dash pod.
Nice to get a reflection off of that  in your eyes lol.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 12:51:20 am »

Someone is stuck in the past just a bit...

I dunno...this article would tend to agree with him as far as current Malibu goes...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2015/11/04/fleet-sales-incentives-chevrolet-malibu-fairfax.html
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bd2

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: BMW 3 Series
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 05:39:21 am »

Someone is stuck in the past just a bit... Funny as I see way more Hyundai and Kia vehicles in rental fleets than GM vehicles but even if the Malibu is still popular with some rental fleets... Here are examples of the few vehicles I have rented: 2015 Ford Edge Sport, several other Edges, Mustang convertible GT, Infiniti Q50. So are all the cars built for rental fleets too?

Cars that don't sell well may end up in rental fleets to move products but no manufacturer is building cars for rental fleet anymore. And making this assessment before the car has even had the chance to hit the market.

The Malibu is one of the 3 finalists for car of the year of the Detroit auto show with the Miata and the Civic. They too must be built for rental fleets, right?

In the US, the Queen of the rental fleet has been the Camry.

GM has been cutting back on rental fleet sales and we'll likely see far less of the new Malibus on the rental lots like we did with the Impala.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 08:16:17 am »
where can I buy this FLEET :run: RENTAL?
Time is to stop everything happening at once