Author Topic: Preview: Mercedes-Benz E-Class Interior  (Read 9244 times)

Offline MB6

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 E350 4Matic, 2011 C250 4Matic
Re: Preview: Mercedes-Benz E-Class Interior
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 06:42:26 pm »
I'm not so worried about the screens and electronics, after all every new airliner has a glass cockpit and they are very safe and reliable. My beef is with the overwhelming use of black in any interior. Why? It looks cheap and 'lowest common denominator'. A black interior was the base model of any vehicle until recently. What happened to colour and style I own two MB products at the moment (#5 and #6 of my lifetime) and none have had a black interior. In future, no vehicle of mine will have anything but a colourful interior either.

My opinion only, thanks for listening...

Offline canbra

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 08:20:53 pm »
I'm not so worried about the screens and electronics, after all every new airliner has a glass cockpit and they are very safe and reliable.

People not involved with the aerospace industry tends to think we have got the leading edge in technology there. When it is most often the other way around: aerospace lags behind in technology adoption precisely because of the fact it needs to prove, either by design or by service history, that the tech works without flaws.

I am speaking from experience. I still see plenty of i486 and PowerPC processors, which have quit the PC industry decades ago, being applied to flight computers and displays, as an example.

On a different, but similar, note, aerospace interior design is looking more and more towards the automotive industry. One example: BMW DesignWorks studio helped / is helping with cabin design for business aircraft (see Embraer Phenom). A friend of mine, who bought a loaded 535 a couple of years ago (his first luxury vehicle), used to tell me how impressed he always was with the consistency of the operation, design and look and feel of his car even when compared to $20-30M business jets' cockpits we both knew from close experience.

:)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Preview: Mercedes-Benz E-Class Interior
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 11:32:33 pm »
^^ consistency of operation in a German car? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2015, 11:41:07 pm »
Interiors on even exec jets are lousy compared to cars - money is spent on engines and airframe and so on.  Engineers consider interior panels not worth their time.

But, yes, avionics is not cutting edge - it needs to be reliable not the latest thing that might be buggy.

Offline Threader

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 STI, 2012 Caravan
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 09:34:49 am »
in the end whatever the looks inside and out all that ever maters is the MB logo that sells the vehicle.
2008 Subaru STI Performance Build Story

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,80495.0.html

Offline MB6

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 E350 4Matic, 2011 C250 4Matic
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 06:42:42 pm »
People not involved with the aerospace industry tends to think we have got the leading edge in technology there. When it is most often the other way around: aerospace lags behind in technology adoption precisely because of the fact it needs to prove, either by design or by service history, that the tech works without flaws.

Interesting, and perhaps true, but in my 34.5 years in military aviation, and 5000+ flying hours, I have found that the technology is very safe, stable, reliable and robust. Again, just my observation. Also note that the interiors of the military aircraft I flew in were not black!!

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 09:48:09 pm »
I have a friend with a MB S and in my opinion the best feature of the interior is the seats - especially the thigh extender.

A thigh extender was on my must have list for my Boxster.
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2015, 09:49:13 pm »
I have a friend with a MB S and in my opinion the best feature of the interior is the seats - especially the thigh extender.

A thigh extender was on my must have list for my Boxster.

Yea..I have one on my LS and man, oh man...what a difference.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...