Author Topic: tire storage question  (Read 10899 times)

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-10
    • View Profile
tire storage question
« on: December 03, 2015, 09:21:54 pm »
Hey folks, I've done some re-arranging in the garage with some of my shelving.. in the past i've normally stored my two sets of tires on the concrete stacked 4 high on top of each other.  Due to space constraints I've piled both sets on top of each other so there are 8 tires stacked up.  They are stable so I am not worried about them falling. But can I be harming the tires due to all that weight? Especially the bottom tires?

thanks

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: tire storage question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 09:27:02 pm »
Doubt it.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 10:39:12 pm »
Put 50 psi in each.

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 06:47:43 am »
50PSI? Wow.. ok..

Thanks for your responses.

Cheers...

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 07:04:39 am »
I have read they should not be stacked more that 4 high. Although I cannot really see what damage that might cause.

I have heard you are supposed to lower the air pressure. Before you do 50 PSI make sure it does not exceed the max pressure on sidewall.

I would not place them directly on concrete. I would rest them on a couple pieces of 2 by 4.

I personally have my tires on stands that have wheels on them. I love them. Keep them off the ground and I can easily move them around garage as needed. No matter where I put them there always seems to be a reason they have to be moved.

If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 12:18:17 pm »
.Where is WEELS when ya need I'm ?''' I HEAR he just lies down in the basement fer tha Winter :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline capriracer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-2
    • View Profile
    • www.barrystiretech.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 09:19:40 am »
A couple of thoughts:

Adding air to a tire replenishes the oxygen supply inside the tire - making the tire age faster..  So overinflating or underinflating tires just for storage is not a good idea.

Stacking tires for several months might permanently distort them - and the more stress you put them under, the more likely there will be a permanent distortion.  The idea of stacking tires 8 high is definitely in the wrong direction.

CapriRacer

Visit my website:  www.barrystiretech.com

Offline wheelexpert

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nissan pathfinder, audi a4, honda civic, toyota paseo
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 04:59:24 pm »
Put 50 psi in each.

why would you do that?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 06:44:16 pm »
Put 50 psi in each.

why would you do that?

For a smooth, no bump ride.  Oh sorry, that's only for Hercules...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 08:20:01 pm »
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 09:23:50 pm »
Put 50 psi in each.

why would you do that?

To give the sidewalls some strength.  50 psi is minor.

As for the earlier moronic comment about excess oxygen  ::), as any person that owns trailers that sit outside 24/7, year after year, sunlight is the destroyer of tires, not 14 extra pounds of air pressure.

Visit a collector car display where vehicles sit for months on en; check out how over inflated the tires look.  :)

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 09:55:31 pm »
Given the stresses put on tires in normal use, it's hard to imagine stacking them 8 high is going to make any difference. It's like racing cyclists used to hang their bikes on the wall when not in use so the wheels would stay round.  If sitting them on concrete is bad, imagine the harm being done to tires by underground and other concrete parking garages.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 11:51:36 pm »
Given the stresses put on tires in normal use, it's hard to imagine stacking them 8 high is going to make any difference. It's like racing cyclists used to hang their bikes on the wall when not in use so the wheels would stay round.  If sitting them on concrete is bad, imagine the harm being done to tires by underground and other concrete parking garages.

Good to know we should take your common sense advice and ignore the storage recommendations of numerous tire manufacturers and retailers.
 I mean, what do engineers know?  Stack 'em high.
Mr Pickypants

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 10:17:41 pm »

Good to know we should take your common sense advice and ignore the storage recommendations of numerous tire manufacturers and retailers.

Numerous experts but you don't provide a single citation?

So I did a search.  Most tire storage advice doesn't even mention stacking height.  That by itself doesn't support that it's a huge concern.

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20070521/NEWS/305219993/tire-storage-dos-donts-dont-just-stack-em-up-and-forget-about-them
- commmercial truck tires: stack'em as high as you can lift them

http://www.tirebuyer.com/education/storing-tires-for-longer-life
- if the stack is too high the stack can fall over and the tires may thus be damaged (!)

Ah, at last.  From eBay advice:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Store-Winter-Tires-/10000000177404749/g.html
"The most common practice is to lay the tires flat, stacked up to four high. This keeps the tower from becoming too tall and unstable, and allows for even pressure to be exerted on all parts of the tire."
Sounds like nonsense.  "Even pressure on all parts of the tire"?  How is that possible?

Here's the official Michelin advice, which describes an even higher degree of care:
http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/the-storage-story
"Do not stack tyres in piles over long periods. Try to avoid crushing your tyres under heavy objects. When handling tyres, it is recommend that you use protective gloves and clothing. Tyres may be stacked on top of each other in piles no higher than 1.2 metres (4ft), preferably on pallets. Reverse the order of the tyres every four weeks. When tyres are mounted on rims, store them inflated in a vertical position or in a single row on shelves. For longer-term storage, place tyres vertically on racks raised at least 10cm (4") above floor level. Slightly rotate them once a month to avoid distortion. If a fitted tyre is not used for a longer period of time, check the pressure regularly and maintain it at level recommended by the manufacturer."

It's difficult to see car tires as fragile when you see how well ones improperly disposed of, last in the environment.  Lots of sites list storage on bare concrete as a moisture concern.  Tires that wash ashore from the ocean don't seem to have been harmed by moisture.  I suppose in Vancouver the damage to mounted tires from moisture must be balanced by the lack of sun exposure.

As to forming flat spots, a tire's own weight is about 1/25th of the weight it would bear holding up a typical car.  Since modern tires flat-spot little or at all, it's hard to imagine a tire will flat-spot under its own weight.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 11:07:15 pm »
I'm now paranoid about my tire stacks ahahah. But other than suspended by a long axle, I can't see any way of avoiding some potential distortion/warping

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 11:55:13 pm »

So I did a search.  Most tire storage advice doesn't even mention stacking height.  That by itself doesn't support that it's a huge concern.

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20070521/NEWS/305219993/tire-storage-dos-donts-dont-just-stack-em-up-and-forget-about-them

- if the stack is too high the stack can fall over and the tires may thus be damaged (!)

"The most common practice is to lay the tires flat, stacked up to four high. This keeps the tower from becoming too tall and unstable, and allows for even pressure to be exerted on all parts of the tire."
Sounds like nonsense.  "Even pressure on all parts of the tire"?  How is that possible?

Here's the official Michelin advice, which describes an even higher degree of care:
"Do not stack tyres in piles over long periods. Try to avoid crushing your tyres under heavy objects. When handling tyres, it is recommend that you use protective gloves and clothing. Tyres may be stacked on top of each other in piles no higher than 1.2 metres (4ft), preferably on pallets. Reverse the order of the tyres every four weeks. When tyres are mounted on rims, store them inflated in a vertical position or in a single row on shelves. For longer-term storage, place tyres vertically on racks raised at least 10cm (4") above floor level. Slightly rotate them once a month to avoid distortion. If a fitted tyre is not used for a longer period of time, check the pressure regularly and maintain it at level recommended by the manufacturer."

It's difficult to see car tires as fragile when you see how well ones improperly disposed of, last in the environment.  Lots of sites list storage on bare concrete as a moisture concern.  Tires that wash ashore from the ocean don't seem to have been harmed by moisture.  I suppose in Vancouver the damage to mounted tires from moisture must be balanced by the lack of sun exposure.

As to forming flat spots, a tire's own weight is about 1/25th of the weight it would bear holding up a typical car.  Since modern tires flat-spot little or at all, it's hard to imagine a tire will flat-spot under its own weight.

Well, I didn't know your  Google was broken, but then when you even ignore the results from your own search because it "sounds like nonsense", well, I don't know what to say.  You must be the expert.

I noticed you also don't agree with the tire engineer on this forum that said stacking them 8 high was a bad idea.  Are you also a tire designer or engineer?

In that first link you provided about commercial tires, "stack'em as high as you can lift them" referred to tires on rims.   "Unmounted, standard truck tires should be stacked horizontally to a maximum of six to eight tires or three to four wide-base tires."   is what they said about unmounted tires.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 10:57:43 pm »

Well, I didn't know your  Google was broken, but then when you even ignore the results from your own search because it "sounds like nonsense", well, I don't know what to say.  You must be the expert.

I noticed you also don't agree with the tire engineer on this forum that said stacking them 8 high was a bad idea.  Are you also a tire designer or engineer?

In that first link you provided about commercial tires, "stack'em as high as you can lift them" referred to tires on rims.   "Unmounted, standard truck tires should be stacked horizontally to a maximum of six to eight tires or three to four wide-base tires."   is what they said about unmounted tires.

If "even pressure to be exerted on all parts of the tire" doesn't sound like nonsense to you, there's nothing I can do about that.  So what do you think that means?

Are you saying capriracer is a tire engineer?  Unless I'm mistaken that person is the only one who advised against stacking 8 high on this topic. 

I note that the op did not specify whether the tires were mounted or not.  Perhaps you're psychic.  And never stack 2x4's more than 8 deep.

Offline capriracer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-2
    • View Profile
    • www.barrystiretech.com
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 10:49:20 am »
  ..... Are you saying capriracer is a tire engineer?  ......

Allow me to confirm that I am a retired tire engineer.  In my previous life, my job (among many other tasks) was to answer questions such as this.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 11:00:11 am »
 :rofl:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 11:15:39 am »
Capri Racer can let his rubber hit the road...as long!! as it's a Lotus Capri ;D ..I would trust him as long as his sipes last :light: :bounce: