Author Topic: The Comprehensive Vehicle Deficiency Thread  (Read 17465 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: The Comprehensive Vehicle Deficiency Thread
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2015, 09:13:26 am »
2010 Fusion 145k

- ECM reflash under warranty
 - throttle body controller under warranty
 - general maintenance
 - passenger side rear flasher bulb replaced twice

2008 Honda S2000 16k
 - nothing

2013 Ford F150 122k work truck
 - general maintenance
 - lots of broken exterior plastic pieces, dents and scratches
 - windshield replaced twice

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2015, 10:38:58 am »
Ford has huge issues with painting aluminum, this bubbling has been plaguing them for eons. I remember Ford Expeditions coming back 1-2 yrs old to the dealership with the back gate and hoods peeling. This was way back in 98-99, today I see much newer Expeditions/Navigators with the same problem so obviously they never fixed the issue.

How'd they get the paint to stick on the new F150's I wonder?

My wife's old 2005 Expedition has the issue very badly. Looked awful for such an expensive (when new) vehicle.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2015, 01:03:20 pm »
2008 Nissan Versa, 134,000 Km

-No warranty repairs, just the usual fluid changes, brakes, tires, etc., etc., etc.
-2 burnt-out tail light bulbs
-Bent suspension component from hitting a pothole, fixed at the dealer. All the other shops were more expensive.
-Muffler broke off due to an unmarked pavement drop-off in a construction zone, again fixed at the dealer for less money than any other shop in town.
- I'm having a weird intermittent electrical issue since replacing the battery with the airbag light flashing occasionally. I found a way to read the error code and reset the light, but every time it happens the error code is different. Even the mechanic at the dealer is stumped.
-A few minor door-dings but nothing you can see from more than two feet away. Also a few small gouges in the plastic trunk panels.
-Other than that, nothing. No squeaks or rattles even on the coldest winter day.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2015, 10:20:59 am »
Interestingly enough, this weekend, the Forester's volume stopped working.  The radio would turn on, the navi still worked, as did bluetooth - all except no sound.

I pulled out both fuses for the amplifier, and both were totally fine.  I put the same fuses back in, restarted the car, and everything worked just fine thereafter - and we drove to Toronto and back.

Hooray for no need for a dealer visit :)  You should all be so proud of my DIYing :)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2015, 10:27:43 am »
Hooray for no need for a dealer visit :)  You should all be so proud of my DIYing :)

Ha, ha, ha... good job No-san!!!  Next up you'll be ready to check the oil   :rofl:

Some silly gremlin though that would remedy itself with just a re-boot... oh wait, we're talking electronics here... makes sense!  :rofl2:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2015, 10:46:53 am »
Interestingly enough, this weekend, the Forester's volume stopped working.  The radio would turn on, the navi still worked, as did bluetooth - all except no sound.

I pulled out both fuses for the amplifier, and both were totally fine.  I put the same fuses back in, restarted the car, and everything worked just fine thereafter - and we drove to Toronto and back.

:rofl: :rofl:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2015, 10:59:25 am »
The Lady was happy, but didn't really show the excitement I was hoping for (I'm a bit of a needy b!tch for that from her -  ;D).  So, I made sure to remind her just how handy I can be every 30 minutes.  She eventually gave in and gave me a big kiss for being her hero.

Mission accomplished.  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2015, 11:01:44 am »
The Lady was happy, but didn't really show the excitement I was hoping for (I'm a bit of a needy b!tch for that from her -  ;D).  So, I made sure to remind her just how handy I can be every 30 minutes.  She eventually gave in and gave me a big kiss for being her hero.

Mission accomplished.  ;D

Well then...job done!!  ;D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2015, 04:55:19 pm »

Everybody has to start somewhere!  :thumbup:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2015, 05:07:13 pm »
2013 Fiat 500

34,000km

- paint started peeling at 8k on bumper grill - two weeks of fighting with dealership and it was fixed under warranty.
- suspension has become very "loose?" almost bottoms out / wallows on dips
- steering components feel like they may all fall apart.  lots of knocking happening when moving the steering wheel to the left or right
   dealer has "inspected" and stated "there's nothing wrong"
- car has random false starts (more often in cold weather)
- when going from park to drive (foot on brakes) randomly revs will edge up and you can feel the car wanting to launch forward.
- many interior dash board panels do not meet up together enforcing absolute poor craftmanship.
- when sitting at lights, idling, engine emits random buzzing, gurgling type sound.  Wife calls it "underwater purring"

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2015, 02:13:06 pm »
From oldest to newest in the Abes Fleet:

1983 Honda GL650-  Needed a battery and stator when I bought it 5 years ago, for $300.00

1988 RamCharger- Exhaust was to quiet, so new Cat delete 3" flowmaster exhaust.  Vroom.  Oh, and the defroster switch is now buggered, fan won't blow on defrost, only Vent and AC.  Oh and the AC could do with a recharge.... R12...

1999 Miata.  Can't get the keys out of my daughters hands, unless the gas tank is nearly empty, then dad can drive it....  Defectively small fuel tank.

2002 Hyundai Elantra GT:  Had it since new, 14 years, first 12 years were flawless....  162000km now, and the list is long,

• passenger front window wont roll down
    front right wheel bearing (2nd time)
    Fan switch has to be wiggled to function
    Both rear tires have slow leak punctures
    Clutch is slipping
    Parking brake cable snapped.
    Dash has a crack right down the middle.

2012 Equinox 2LT-  Fine right now, but back up camera failure, and catastrophic oil consumption, requiring a full tear down under warranty, new pistons, rings, fuel pump..... and it's so gutless it can't get out of it's own way on the highway.

2014 Kia Rio -Zip

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2015, 03:04:14 pm »

1983 Honda GL650-  Needed a battery and stator when I bought it 5 years ago, for $300.00

1988 RamCharger- Exhaust was to quiet, so new Cat delete 3" flowmaster exhaust.  Vroom.  Oh, and the defroster switch is now buggered, fan won't blow on defrost, only Vent and AC.  Oh and the AC could do with a recharge.... R12...

1999 Miata.  Can't get the keys out of my daughters hands, unless the gas tank is nearly empty, then dad can drive it....  Defectively small fuel tank.

2002 Hyundai Elantra GT:  Had it since new, 14 years, first 12 years were flawless....  162000km now, and the list is long,

Clutch is slipping

2012 Equinox 2LT-  Fine right now, but back up camera failure, and catastrophic oil consumption, requiring a full tear down under warranty, new pistons, rings, fuel pump..... and it's so gutless it can't get out of it's own way on the highway.

2014 Kia Rio -Zip

88 Ramcharger.  :thumbup: Pic Please

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2015, 09:24:27 pm »

Clutch is slipping

2014 Kia Rio -Zip

88 Ramcharger.  :thumbup: Pic Please

Pics are buried somewhere in the what I did to my car thread, but here's a few

Daughter removing wheel

Wheel before

After

minty interior

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:31:46 pm by neil »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2015, 12:10:33 am »
Awesome Ram Charger Neil.  Different times!  :drv2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2015, 12:20:17 am »

It's nice...nice cleanup on the wheels!

The fuel bill while towing must make you cry though!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2015, 07:43:39 am »
Seeing as I never have a vehicle past 15,000 km, I don't really ever encounter issues...  :rofl2:

I have had the odd small thing. The Genesis Coupe's shift knob has a little screw inside holding two pieces together. It can sometimes back itself out, and there's no easy way to get to it. Because it's a mechanical gearbox linkage the damn thing will vibrate and annoy you. Only option is to replace the shift knob. I'd go aftermarket given the choice.

Aside from that, though, problem free (as any car should be under 15k).
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2015, 08:25:40 am »
2013 Verano Turbo;
no problems

2014 Hyundai Elantra GT;
It has one of these panorama roofs, great for the open feel and light, but on windy days there is so much wind noise, especially in cross winds. No leaks anywhere, including when going through a car wash. Dealer can't find anything. Wife loves the car, I think its 173 HP isn't enough, mileage isn't great either.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2015, 08:55:34 am »
Seeing as I never have a vehicle past 15,000 km, I don't really ever encounter issues...  :rofl2:

I have had the odd small thing. The Genesis Coupe's shift knob has a little screw inside holding two pieces together. It can sometimes back itself out, and there's no easy way to get to it. Because it's a mechanical gearbox linkage the damn thing will vibrate and annoy you. Only option is to replace the shift knob. I'd go aftermarket given the choice.

Aside from that, though, problem free (as any car should be under 15k).

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/15/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2015, 12:47:04 pm »

It's nice...nice cleanup on the wheels!

The fuel bill while towing must make you cry though!

It is about the same towing on the highway as I get empty around town...  I don't take it far, hour and a half to Douglas on the flat lands.   $.85 per litre makes a big difference now over the Buck twenty I was paying last summer.  Part of the bargain with the wife while finding a cool project vehicle was it had to be useful, and being able to tow now and again fit the bill perfectly. 

Speaking of deficiencies, one thing you really feel getting into a vintage ride after years in a modern truck is the lack of safety features.....  The big back windows make riding back there like being on a sightseeing bus.....  but you know you are dead if you roll :)  I also love the power windows, they are so fast,  they go up and down in a snap.   Modern car windows are so slow, again for safety.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:50:24 pm by neil »

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2015, 06:58:44 pm »
2014 Subaru Crosstrek
- zero problems in just under 2 years ownership

2016 Mazda MX-5
- totally deficient as it is currently sitting in various parts bins somewhere in Japan   :P