Author Topic: Jaguar to offer XE sedan with stickshift in North America  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Jaguar to offer XE sedan with stickshift in North America
« on: November 17, 2015, 03:08:07 am »
The Brits keep the flame alive
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Jaguar to offer XE sedan with stickshift in North America
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 09:21:21 am »
That's nice - but I still hate paying more for an automatic transmission.  It feels like a bait-and-switch for the advertised lowest price of the vehicle "starting from", and then you learn that an automatic is >$1,300 more (usually closer to $2,000).  It just seems insincere...but it's not just Jag...it's pretty much all manufacturers (except BMW and Caddy, it seems).

Offline Silverbird

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 A4 Avant, 2008 VW Rabbit
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 09:40:57 am »
I think I prefer this pricing more than the "stick is a no cost option"

Since the manufacturing costs are higher for an auto, my mind translates that into I've gotta pay more for the stick... what a rip.

But hey, I'm not going to complain too much as long as stick shifts are still offered.

Going back to the Jag, is there any word on stick shift availability for the other engines?  the 3.0T and diesel (assuming it hasn't been nixed due to the Diesel-gate image problems)

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 10:02:04 am »
thought the only 4 cylinder for the XE in NA is a diesel, the ingenium engine...when was it noticed that there will be a 2.0 turbo??? probably the same as the one used in the evoque?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 10:02:19 am »
That's nice - but I still hate paying more for an automatic transmission.  It feels like a bait-and-switch for the advertised lowest price of the vehicle "starting from", and then you learn that an automatic is >$1,300 more (usually closer to $2,000).  It just seems insincere...but it's not just Jag...it's pretty much all manufacturers (except BMW and Caddy, it seems).

How is it insincere to charge extra for something that is more expensive? That doesn't make any sense.

By your logic most base pricing is "insincere" because it doesn't represent what the typical buyer wants.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 10:03:11 am »
thought the only 4 cylinder for the XE in NA is a diesel, the ingenium engine...when was it noticed that there will be a 2.0 turbo??? probably the same as the one used in the evoque?

Pretty sure it was always known that they would offer the 2.0 turbo at some point. It will be the volume engine after all.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 10:03:57 am »

Since the manufacturing costs are higher for an auto, my mind translates that into I've gotta pay more for the stick... what a rip.

How is it insincere to charge extra for something that is more expensive? That doesn't make any sense.

By your logic most base pricing is "insincere" because it doesn't represent what the typical buyer wants.
Economies of scale make the stick more expensive to produce, actually...not to mention the cost of a separate assembly line.

The day of the stick being cheaper than the automatic is actually far behind us to the point that it's only fair to make the transmission no-cost options.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 10:07:59 am »

Economies of scale make the stick more expensive to produce, actually...not to mention the cost of a separate assembly line.

The day of the stick being cheaper than the automatic is actually far behind us to the point that it's only fair to make the transmission no-cost options.

Manual transmission cars are not built on separate assembly lines. And while I'm sure there are cases where a manual may be more expensive to product I highly doubt that is universally true - especially on cars with higher manual take rates and/or those that are sold in markets where manual transmission cars are still popular.

And as always, pricing is set by the perceived value, not necessarily by the cost of production.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 10:12:06 am »
End up the day. Things have changed and whatever, I'd pay more for a manual and I'd be thrilled it was offered!

Agreed.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 11:01:46 am »
i know jag is going to produce a new ingenium 2L turbo gas engine alongside the 2L diesel but it's not in production yet.  last year i asked the jag rep and he said the diesel and v6 will come out first with no mention of a manual transmission.  has jag said when the 2L gas is scheduled to arrive?  and which cars are coming with the manual?  with AWD?

AWD is standard on all Canadian XEs. At this point I believe only the 2.0 gas engine will have a manual.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 11:14:22 am »
Just looked at the article again and it should be pointed out that BMW has discontinued the RWD 320i and 328i (and 428i) models and thus they are now automatic only. A manual is only available in the 340i and 435i coupe.

Offline Stilllovetrucks

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-19
    • View Profile
  • Cars: NOW: '07 F150 xlt, PREVIOUS: '99 S70, '97 Impreza, '92 Dakota, '98 Forester, '92 & '99 Cherokees, '80 200sx, '87 Nissan pickup XE, '66 F-85
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 05:45:53 pm »
Thought it was a picture of an S60.......................... ???
Lovin the TRUCK !!!