Author Topic: No Mazda2 For You!  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
No Mazda2 For You!
« on: November 16, 2015, 10:28:18 pm »

Mazda just dropped a bomb by announcing the removal of the Mazda2 from their Canadian lineup.
Read More...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
No Mazda2 For You!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 11:34:01 pm »
That's ok Mazda.  Just bring us the MX5 with the 1.5L and price it at the top of the line Mazda2 (around $20k) and all will be forigven.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
Re: No Mazda2 For You!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 07:03:15 am »
This problem is easy to solve. Go down to your local Toyota dealer to pick up a spankin' new Yaris sedan and
on the way home stop by at the junk yard. Pull  the badge off the closest  wrecked Mazda you can find.

Attach the badge to your 'Yaris and your craving is satisfied.

Offline keithb

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 07:24:55 am »
Might open the door for Toyota to stick its badge on the car and market it here as they've done with sedan. At least one can hope.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 07:45:25 am »
That's ok Mazda.  Just bring us the MX5 with the 1.5L and price it at the top of the line Mazda2 (around $20k) and all will be forigven.

Make that 19,995$  :)

Wind-up windows, stick only, steel rims - blank canvas.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 08:19:53 am »
Thats really too bad.  Was looking forward to possibly leasing a Mazda2 Sport.  One of the better looking subcompacts..

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 08:21:46 am »
now give us a CX-3 with a clutch

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 08:38:58 am »
now give us a CX-3 with a clutch

yeah, only $6-7k difference.... from the pricing of a Mazda2. 

Offline RoadRageous

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +16/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 04:59:37 pm »
This problem is easy to solve. Go down to your local Toyota dealer to pick up a spankin' new Yaris sedan and
on the way home stop by at the junk yard. Pull  the badge off the closest  wrecked Mazda you can find.

Yeah, except for the sheet metal, skyactive drivetrain, and "zoom zoom" err, driving matters, tuning.

Can't say I blame them, but I think they're missing an opprotunity to get first-time buyers into the brand.

Offline Kinetis

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: BMW 330, Nissan 200SX
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 06:12:41 pm »
Coincidence that Mazda announces this right before the Scion iR, city car, debuts at the LA auto show? Hmm..

Offline esiemens

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '04 Sienna, '06 Mazda5 GT MT, '92 Civic Hatchback
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 11:45:36 pm »

Yeah, except for the sheet metal, skyactive drivetrain, and "zoom zoom" err, driving matters, tuning.

Can't say I blame them, but I think they're missing an opprotunity to get first-time buyers into the brand.

Actually, the only thing that isn't a Mazda2 is the front fascia and the badging. Was wanting a Scion iA (US), but instead came to Canada as a Yaris Sedan. Both are just rebadged Mazda2 sedans, and the only diff between them is in the US the iA can come fully loaded with a stick, whereas here in Canada the Yaris Sedan only comes with a stick in the base model, leaving the 'Premium' model coming only with an auto  (A Mazda auto, but still really disappointed about that one)

I was looking at the Yaris, but prefer hatchbacks, so was going to wait for the Mazda2 to be released first...but that looks to no longer be an option....

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 09:52:35 am »
There's always Honda fit, most popular subcompact AFAIK.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 10:40:19 am »

In Canada the Accent outsells it more than 2 to 1.  In the US, the Versa outsells almost 3 to 1.  But, in my IMO, out of the subcompacts available to us, the Fit is the best...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 10:48:04 am »

In Canada the Accent outsells it more than 2 to 1.  In the US, the Versa outsells almost 3 to 1.  But, in my IMO, out of the subcompacts available to us, the Fit is the best...

I never really got the relatively poor showing of the Fit in its class. But one day a co-worker mentioned that she didn't like it because "it looked like a little minivan". She might have been on to something.

Of course cheap financing and low prices of the competitors also likely has an impact.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 10:57:03 am »
Of course cheap financing and low prices of the competitors also likely has an impact.
^^ that was always my criticism.  To be $1,000 more than the competition in the frugal side of the market (i.e. cheapest cost of entries) is the wrong way to go.  Financing/MSRP are more important than anything else in the <$20,000 market.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 11:00:25 am »
The Fit is certainly a little dumpy looking not that any in the class are beauty queens. It has always been more of a premium cheap car if that makes any sense.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 11:20:41 am »

Actually, the only thing that isn't a Mazda2 is the front fascia and the badging. Was wanting a Scion iA (US), but instead came to Canada as a Yaris Sedan. Both are just rebadged Mazda2 sedans, and the only diff between them is in the US the iA can come fully loaded with a stick, whereas here in Canada the Yaris Sedan only comes with a stick in the base model, leaving the 'Premium' model coming only with an auto  (A Mazda auto, but still really disappointed about that one)

I was looking at the Yaris, but prefer hatchbacks, so was going to wait for the Mazda2 to be released first...but that looks to no longer be an option....

Suspension, steering and transmission tuning all actually differ quite a bit between the Mazda2 and the Toyota versions. The Scion iA/Yaris Sedan are still fairly fun to drive, but they could be so much more as an actual Mazda2.

Offline RoadRageous

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +16/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 01:38:53 pm »

You are correct about the sheetmetal and drive train. Toyota only changed the fascias. If that means the pretty nice Mazda interior is there, then good move Toyota.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 02:50:16 pm »
^^ that was always my criticism.  To be $1,000 more than the competition in the frugal side of the market (i.e. cheapest cost of entries) is the wrong way to go.  Financing/MSRP are more important than anything else in the <$20,000 market.

Not just the MSRP.  But the great leasing programs from Nissan, KIA & Hyundai.  Looked at mid trim Accent auto, with tax, it was $235 a month for 24 months.  Less than $6000 to lease a car for 2 years.  Pretty tempting commuter vehicle...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 06:35:19 pm »

Not just the MSRP.  But the great leasing programs from Nissan, KIA & Hyundai.  Looked at mid trim Accent auto, with tax, it was $235 a month for 24 months.  Less than $6000 to lease a car for 2 years.  Pretty tempting commuter vehicle...

Wow, that is pretty tempting at that price.  I remember years ago when Ford & Chrysler had crazy lease deals.  My dad leased a 1998 Windstar for $6500 for 2 years, 18k kms/ year.  Only catch was you had to pay the whole amount up front.