Author Topic: Heres Comes the Range Rover Evoque Convertible  (Read 11514 times)

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
Re: Heres Comes the Range Rover Evoque Convertible
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 11:46:13 am »
I don't get the hate.
There is a lot of honesty here (as opposed to many Wranglers you see).
Where they go "Look at me! I'm a big tough off-roader warrior man grrr!  :drv2: *but secretly I've never left the pavement* "the Evoque convertible says "Look at me! I like sitting up high and looking pretty and I can't wait to take the girls on a mall excursion! It's Cougar Time!  :-*"

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 11:54:46 am »
I don't get the hate.
Where they go "Look at me! I'm a big tough off-roader warrior man grrr!  :drv2: *but secretly I've never left the pavement* "the Evoque convertible says "Look at me! I like sitting up high and looking pretty and I can't wait to take the girls on a mall excursion! It's Cougar Time!  :-*"

Great point, put another way, you don't need a Harley to express your appreciation of freedom and "open road" motoring. The Evoque can do it in spades, while retaining the ability to seat four, carry some things, and function as a four season vehicle. If I could afford one, I'd have one in a heartbeat.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 01:29:20 pm »
They can build whatever they want, but they're never get my money with that thing.  I'm sure there will be a few who will want a cute topless... Evoque.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 01:50:15 pm »
Kind of reminds me of this :

Seen a few examples here but I believe only sold in California. Not a big seller.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 02:06:35 pm »
I figured it would be the only time I actually ever see a Murano Convertible in the wild.
*sigh*, go to Palm Springs...I saw 6 of them all in a single day.  It ruined my vacation.

I was driving down Weston Rd today beside a car transport truck carrying 3 Range Rovers.  It was amazing how flat and armoured the underside was of the Range Rover Sport was, and how Rav4-like the underside of the Evoque was (with dangling bits everywhere).

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 02:17:18 pm »
I don't get the hate.

Totally agree.

90% of Wrangler buyers aren't doing any sort of macho offroad activities, while likely 100% of Evoque cabrio buyers ARE doing cougar excursions to their local Pottery Barn.

I wouldn't ever buy an Evoque (cabrio or otherwise).  But the few who do are probably being more honest about their lifestyle than the average Wrangler with spray-on-mud.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 02:26:32 pm »
I don't get the hate.

Totally agree.

90% of Wrangler buyers aren't doing any sort of macho offroad activities, while likely 100% of Evoque cabrio buyers ARE doing cougar excursions to their local Pottery Barn.

I wouldn't ever buy an Evoque (cabrio or otherwise).  But the few who do are probably being more honest about their lifestyle than the average Wrangler with spray-on-mud.

Agreed.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 02:58:02 pm »
I didn't ask for this thing - did you ask for this thing??

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 03:17:15 pm »
I don't get the hate.

Totally agree.

Agreed.

+1 very well said. It's an honest vehicle, far more tolerable than the lift-kitted Wrangler that never sees dirt.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 04:42:06 pm »
It's rugged,rough and raunchy......says Entertainment Tonight presenters and you can see the STARS

with the top down as they stumble soused and drugged out in Beverly Hills...Aces to LAND ROVER..

didn't that company put a vehicle on the MOON :-X
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2015, 04:47:25 pm »
I don't get the hate.

Totally agree.

Most Lambos and Ferraris are never going to the track either. But they could. In the same vein, the Wrangler could do some serious off-roading.

This does nothing that couldn't be done better by something like a 4 series drop top.   

Oh and:

"In a world where only 15% of SUV owners ever go off road, Jeep says 60% of Wrangler owners do; for Rubicon models, its 80%. Those percentages are the industry's highest, says Kevin Metz, Wrangler brand manager. (Next highest, he says, is the Hummer H3, at 30%.)" ConsumerGuide Automotive

^ Edit: Dead link

This is from 2013:

"The last time we did research, 85 percent of Wrangler owners reported going off-road," said Jim Repp, vehicle development manager for the Wrangler.

That percentage, he added, is for both the traditional two-door Wrangler and the stretched, four-door Wrangler Unlimited. For the regular two-door model, the off-road percentage rises to 93 - which is about the reverse of the total SUV population.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-07-15/news/40571513_1_jeep-wrangler-suv-grand-cherokee
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:52:03 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2015, 04:59:50 pm »

This does nothing that couldn't be done better by something like a 4 series drop top.   

You don't sit up high in a 4-series, and that is something Evoque drivers want.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 05:02:58 pm by lebowski »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2015, 05:16:05 pm »
i think the wrangler number is dropping... partially due to less places to wheel though... plus, a huge increase in sales numbers will mean some fakers for sure... hell, i'm a bit of a faker (though i did have some fun last month going to an off-road little area that my local off-road club calls their playground...)

cars are already such an exaggerated caricature of ourselves. this car is fine, and will sell lots down south... just not meant for up here...

and i am sorry.... but i actually kind of liked the look of the evoke!!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2015, 05:19:11 pm »

Disagree.   You ride up high in the Evoque with a stronger illusion of safety.   Which is the same reason many of these Pottery Barn shoppers choose CUVs over wagons.   This combines the glory of a 4 series drop top and their precious CUV!

(And again, I agree it's ridiculous)

Oh and:

"In a world where only 15% of SUV owners ever go off road, Jeep says 60% of Wrangler owners do; for Rubicon models, its 80%. Those percentages are the industry's highest, says Kevin Metz, Wrangler brand manager. (Next highest, he says, is the Hummer H3, at 30%.)" ConsumerGuide Automotive

This is from 2013:

"The last time we did research, 85 percent of Wrangler owners reported going off-road," said Jim Repp, vehicle development manager for the Wrangler.

That percentage, he added, is for both the traditional two-door Wrangler and the stretched, four-door Wrangler Unlimited. For the regular two-door model, the off-road percentage rises to 93 - which is about the reverse of the total SUV population.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-07-15/news/40571513_1_jeep-wrangler-suv-grand-cherokee

The Wrangler brand managers are full of horsesh!t and are just re-enforcing the brand image that sells Wranglers.   There is no chance 50% (let alone 93%!) of Wranglers are doing anything more severe than a gravel cottage lane way.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1200
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2015, 06:35:28 pm »
 :hurl:

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2015, 10:20:25 am »

Oh and:

This is from 2013:

C'mon SirO, you're way too bright to be accepting a product management team's BS at face value!  As Evil_twin noted, those numbers only serve to benefit Jeep.  A "statistic" that the underlying methodology cannot readily be validated, coming from a non-objective source...how could it possibly be incorrect?  ::)

The only time I ever truly believed the product development BS was when BMW planners said that 80% of 1-series owners thought their vehicle was FWD.  I believed them, because why else would they intentionally want to destroy the credibility of the "ultimate driving machine" driver?  Oh wait, it was just a way to justify the 1-series switch to a FWD platform....  OK, so I don't believe any statistics from product planners, ever!
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/23/the-craziest-damn-thing-youll-hear-today-80-of-bmw-1-series-o/

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2015, 10:37:50 am »
The old K5 Blazers were Boss though.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2015, 10:41:55 am »

Oh and:

This is from 2013:

C'mon SirO, you're way too bright to be accepting a product management team's BS at face value!  As Evil_twin noted, those numbers only serve to benefit Jeep.  A "statistic" that the underlying methodology cannot readily be validated, coming from a non-objective source...how could it possibly be incorrect?  ::)

The only time I ever truly believed the product development BS was when BMW planners said that 80% of 1-series owners thought their vehicle was FWD.  I believed them, because why else would they intentionally want to destroy the credibility of the "ultimate driving machine" driver?  Oh wait, it was just a way to justify the 1-series switch to a FWD platform....  OK, so I don't believe any statistics from product planners, ever!
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/23/the-craziest-damn-thing-youll-hear-today-80-of-bmw-1-series-o/

That's fair enough. But I think it still remains fair to say that a relatively high number of Wranglers will be taken off-road, much higher than typical CUVs in its price range certainly.

A CRV isn't going to be on the cover of fourwheeler.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:45:33 am by Sir Osis of Liver »

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2015, 10:50:01 am »

No sir. I most certainly did not!

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2015, 10:53:55 am »

No sir. I most certainly did not!

Don't lie, you're secretly ordering one of these once the lease on your X6 is up!!  ;D