Author Topic: Toyota adds hybrid option to RAV4 crossover  (Read 17555 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Toyota adds hybrid option to RAV4 crossover
« on: November 06, 2015, 02:02:54 pm »
Restyled crossovers gets its first-ever hybrid option
Read More...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota adds hybrid option to RAV4 crossover
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 02:13:12 pm »
Ford was ahead of their time with the Escape Hybrid - it was such a stupid decision to drop that powertrain out of the Escape - IMHO

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 02:28:51 pm »
This article states the Rav4 Hybrid will use the same powertrain design as in the Prius, but will have awd.  The rear wheels will be powered by an electric motor.  Various articles about the Rav4 Hybrid have variously stated that it has either two or three electric motors.  Toyota's standard hybrid setup has, I believe, two electric motors in the transmission.  Adding one at the rear axle makes three.  This article says two.  Could someone clear this up?

The mileage numbers are unimpressive.  Perhaps real-world reports will be better.  The Escape Hybrid, using an older version of this hybrid technology, with a less streamlined body, and lacking the ability to regenerate braking forces from the rear wheels, does better than this in real-world reports.  I find it disappointing that the new Rav4 isn't significantly more efficient, let alone apparently less efficient.  In summer conditions, my '09 Escape Hybrid with AWD averages 7l/100km.  40mpg Imperial. 

Yet the Escape Hybrid with awd is also surprisingly capable for light off-roading.  It uses a mechanical connection to a driveshaft to power the rear wheels.  I'm curious to see if the rear electric motor of the Rav4 suffers from overheating and cuts out when you most need it.

I've heard Ford will be restoring the Escape Hybrid in a year or two.  Ford touted the current Escape as making the Hybrid obsolete due to similar mileage.  That was nonsense.  And the C-Min was also not a replacement as it could not be equipped with awd.

It looks like the Rav4 Hybrid will cost thousands less than more-or-less equivalent Escape Hybrids did, however.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 02:37:57 pm by X-Traction »
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 02:57:33 pm »
When does it hit the open market ?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 03:15:51 pm »
You can build one in the Toy website right bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 03:50:43 pm »
I can't say about this newest hybrid, but I've driven a Gen 2 Highlander Hybrid and was completely underwhelmed by the AWD system.  We often take my HL and my friend's HL-H, and I can sail up steep un-plowed roads and his HL struggles - sometimes not making it up.

The culprit was the TCS - no wheelspin allowed at all.  I understand that the configuration of the electric motor for the rear drive isn't suited to spinning do the TRACS clamps down immediately.

So what happened was the fronts would lose traction and when it sent the power rearward, the rears would also spin, and then the TRACS would just shut it all down flat.  The first time I was driving it and it happened I thought something terrible had gone wrong.

In the city it seems to work well enough - and the city driving economy of the HL is exceptional.  I found on the highway the hybrid returned pretty much identical economy to my non-hybrid.  Seems that the real advantages were in all urban operation.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 05:24:26 pm »
So, 5k more than the gas XLE AWD. Sounds reasonable to me. I hope it comes with standard heated seats  ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 05:29:07 pm »
So, 5k more than the gas XLE AWD. Sounds reasonable to me. I hope it comes with standard heated seats  ;)
Heated. Seated included
http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/rav4-hybrid/specifications/interior

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 05:32:28 pm »
Heated. Seated included

Nice! I'm leaving for work, will post more grumbling later  :)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 07:02:25 pm »
Heated. Seated included

Leaving for work ? I thought you work for a roofing/ window  company , it would a little dark for that  ???

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 07:56:42 pm »
This article states the Rav4 Hybrid will use the same powertrain design as in the Prius, but will have awd.  The rear wheels will be powered by an electric motor.  Various articles about the Rav4 Hybrid have variously stated that it has either two or three electric motors.  Toyota's standard hybrid setup has, I believe, two electric motors in the transmission.  Adding one at the rear axle makes three.  This article says two.  Could someone clear this up?

This Rav Hybrid has the Camry Hybrid setup together with the electric motor on the read axle for a total of three.  The positive is that it's  significantly faster in the passing department.  The negative is the price including the finance and leasing rates.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 08:24:50 pm »
Price appears to be almost the same as non hybrids on the limited

Mark

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 09:13:09 pm »
Heated. Seated included

Leaving for work ? I thought you work for a roofing/ window  company , it would a little dark for that  ???
Window. Evening is when most ppl are home.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 09:37:07 pm »
Rear: Double Wishbone Type, Coil Springs, Stabilizer Bar   :D

I don't see an air quality sensor in any trim or package. It's the thing that switches the HVAC air intake from exterior to cabin, when you follow a dieselgated v-dub and such  :P  XM radio would be nice in every trim as well, but it can be fixed with an external receiver. No ventilated seats either, but then it's not a Lexus. I'd get the base hybrid trim considering pricing vs equipment level. If it were available 2 years ago, I'd prolly trade the FJ for it.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 05:57:55 am »
You would have compare the top of Rav with Lexus nx300h,
$57,000 for nx300h   :o, compare to $41,000 for the RAV4

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 12:04:16 pm »
I like the new RAV 4, but I wish they still offered the V6 engine.  I'd take the V6 over the hybrid any day.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 12:05:01 pm »
I like the new RAV 4, but I wish they still offered the V6 engine.  I'd take the V6 over the hybrid any day.

Too bad the take rate was so low - the RAV with the V-6 was a sweet machine.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 07:08:38 pm »

Too bad the take rate was so low - the RAV with the V-6 was a sweet machine.

Good old times, when mainstream family movers were fast and fun. BTW that V6 had no DI nonsense and FE numbers were within 1L from the 4cyl model.
Speaking of hybrids, Toyota could build a 4cyl hybrid Rav faster then the old V6. All it would take is approx. 50% more powerful electric motors and a higher current battery, maybe even of the same capacity. But they won't since FE is the name of the game nowadays.
P.s. the same Ni-MH battery would do if paralleled with a supercap.
P.s. 2: Rav4 Hybrid GT-R  :D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:16:44 pm by EV Dan »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2015, 09:58:58 pm »
Gas cost of 5 year with gas price $4 a gallon

Mark

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 12:25:13 am »

This Rav Hybrid has the Camry Hybrid setup together with the electric motor on the read axle for a total of three.  The positive is that it's  significantly faster in the passing department.  The negative is the price including the finance and leasing rates.

To confirm your response, the article refers to "dual" electric motors, one of which is in the rear axle.  The Rav4 Hybrid uses a version of Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive, which has two electric motors in the eCVT.  So that makes three electric motors overall in the Rav4 Hybrid, as it seems all of them, at least at first, will be AWD.

One of the more prominent articles describing the Escape Hybrid claims its AWD version has 3 electric motors.  It never did.