Author Topic: Long-Term Test Update 5: 2016 Mazda CX-3  (Read 7730 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Long-Term Test Update 5: 2016 Mazda CX-3
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 10:40:35 am »
8000km is not unusual - many Toyotas still use that interval for Canada - evidently we're "extreme service conditions" which is probably true given the number of cold weather starts.

I've been using AMSOIL oil and filters in our cars for some years now, and with the HL and Corolla I had oil analysis done at 10K and it was like new.  But, old habits die hard, so I'm still changing at 10K intervals despite the full synth and premium filters.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 10:38:02 am »
checked out one of these (GS FWD) to see how it compared to my Soul, nice vehicle but terrible back seat room (not surprising I guess when its built on the Mazda 2 platform), when I put the driver's seat in my position for driving and then sat behind it, and it felt felt very confining back there also due to the back roof profile 

Two other things that did not impress me, first was the lack of an armrest (my wife's complaint on ours as my Soul only has one for the driver, which has now been corrected with the G2 version which has a storage bin with an armrest), and even if you get the extra cost accessory there is no bin and second no hood insulator, seems to cheapen the vehicle when you open up the hood (but nice engine cover though) with all the hood support framing exposed and what a very long hood support.  It wouldn't take much cost to finish it off with a cover.   The HR-V EX, which I have also checked out, does not have these problems and would take that vehicle over this (but it has a view drawbacks too).

The underfloor storage in the cargo area is very shallow and only has enough room to store the hard cargo cover, so not much use unless you leave the cover back home. 

Interested in seeing how these two models stack up against the 2016 Soul SX, which I have yet to check out in detail.  Not too far apart in MSRP, but the freight on the Mazda is the highest
2016 Soul SX - $23,995 (6 spd AT)
2016 HR-V EX FWD - $24,490 (CVT)
2016 CX-3 GS FWD - $22,695 (6 spd AT)

oil changes:
Soul:  severe usage - 6000 or 6 months, normal 12,000 or 12 months
HR-V:  go off maintenance minder, but maximum of 12 months after the display is reset
CX-3:  8,000 or 4 months
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:50:06 am by conwelpic »

Offline stargazer68

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 10:46:34 pm »
8000km is not unusual - many Toyotas still use that interval for Canada - evidently we're "extreme service conditions" which is probably true given the number of cold weather starts.

"Extreme Service" is not long highway runs, it is short urban trips, summer or winter, where rpms change widely and often, and engine temps may not reach, or maintain, full operating temperature. Idling at traffic lights (and in timmies' lines) qualify as severe, too. ICEs are not at their best at low RPMs. Longish trips at highway speeds gets rid of condensation and light hydrocarbons that dilute the lubricant. Cabs and police vehicles are, or should be, given frequent oil changes to avoid the buildup of harmful chemicals that  occur in low-speed usage.