Author Topic: First Drive: 2016 Volkswagen Passat  (Read 9103 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2016 Volkswagen Passat
« on: November 02, 2015, 06:30:27 am »

2016 Passat brings tech updates, but missing TDI is a gaping wound in its lineup.
Read More...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: First Drive: 2016 Volkswagen Passat
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 09:00:25 am »
The base engine in the Fusion is the 1.5 L Ecoboost (181hp/185ft-lbs). The Camry uses the normally aspirated 2.5 (178hp/170ft-lbs). The Accord uses the 2.4L (185hp/181ft-lbs). These engines will make up from 80 to 90% of their sales.

The 170hp/184ft-lbs in the Passat is right in there. Running it on 93 octane apparently bumps output to 191hp and 203ft-lbs based on APR's testing.
http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_18tsi_gen3_trans.html
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 09:22:23 am »
Those lower rear lights look really weird. Makes the rear end not a clean as before.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 09:23:09 am »
Is the steering wheel still off center to the driver?

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 10:00:50 am »
The narrower headlights, smaller fog lights, hood lines and smaller rear lights make it look more contemporary and there are some nice touches added to the interior, especially the steering wheel.  However, there is no noticeable difference in the profile, where deeper character lines would have made an improvement.  It doesn't look much like a major refresh to me.  Think Camry's major refresh!

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 10:31:53 am »
The writer's comment, "Competent, But Not Compelling", pretty well sums up this car. It's lost what made it special. Bland looks and no TDI option. No thanks for me - better choices in the marketplace.

Offline Silverbird

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 A4 Avant, 2008 VW Rabbit
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 10:58:32 am »
The writer's comment, "Competent, But Not Compelling", pretty well sums up this car. It's lost what made it special. Bland looks and no TDI option. No thanks for me - better choices in the marketplace.

Also getting rid of the Manual transmission on all but the stripper model, really takes it out of contention.  That was the only thing that kept it in contention in my mind, along with the Accord.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 11:19:35 am »
At least they still offer a stick at all. In the U.S. they got rid of it completely.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 11:54:51 am »
The base model Passat comes with everything I personally would want anyway. Dual zone auto climate, heated seats, Bluetooth, auto headlights, etc.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 11:58:40 am »
The base model Passat comes with everything I personally would want anyway. Dual zone auto climate, heated seats, Bluetooth, auto headlights, etc.

I'm very happy with mine so far, and I'm hardly a VW fanboi. It has all the equipment I want, and none that I don't. The manual works very well with the 1.8L.

I should add, the only issue so far is a fuel leak around the fuel rail. It apparently wasn't enough for fuel to pool, but enough for vapour to get out. Fitting needed to be tighter apparently. We'll see how it holds up longer term.  :foil:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:27:46 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 08:21:12 pm »
for whatever reason the Passat looks outdated. The conservative design didn't age very well in my opinion...Toyota did a much better job at refreshing the Camry, I was expecting VW was going to deliver the same based on their promises.

on a side note:
Why did VW decide to remove the financing options from their website? it just shows the built price for their vehicles...IMHO this is just stupid!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 08:22:58 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 10:44:46 pm »
Why did VW decide to remove the financing options from their website? it just shows the built price for their vehicles...IMHO this is just stupid!

Much deeper than that.  VW US market share is approx. 1.9% BEFORE Diesel Gate!

http://www.businessinsider.com/volkswagen-has-massive-sales-problems-in-america-2015-4

NOW THIS ...

VW, Porsche, Audi 3.0-liter diesels also have 'defeat devices,' EPA says

Automotive News
November 2, 2015 - 1:17 pm ET -- UPDATED: 11/2/15 6:06 pm ET - adds details

WASHINGTON -- Volkswagen’s emissions scandal deepened on Monday when the U.S. EPA said several additional models from the automaker, including Audi and Porsche nameplates, contained illegal software that masked higher emissions than allowed by U.S. regulations.

The agency said emissions “defeat devices” were used on the 2014 VW Touareg, 2016 Audi A6 Quattro, A7 Quattro, A8, A8L, Q5, as well as the 2015 Porsche Cayenne powered by the automaker’s 3.0-liter diesel engine. Previously, only models using VW’s 2.0-liter diesel were involved.

The disclosure broadens the scope of the emissions scandal rocking VW. The group’s 3.0-liter diesel was developed by Audi, while the 2.0-liter diesel already found to use defeat devices was developed by VW. The EPA’s announcement also formally implicates Porsche in the scandal for the first time, more than a month after former Porsche boss Matthias Mueller was tapped as CEO of the VW Group following the resignation of former chief Martin Winterkorn.

In a statement from its headquarters in Wolfsburg, Germany, parent company Volkswagen AG denied it had installed software to mask its emissions. It said it was informed by the EPA that its V6 diesel engines had a software function that “had not been adequately described” to the agency in VW’s applications for certification that its vehicles met U.S. emissions standards.

“Volkswagen AG wishes to emphasize that no software has been installed in the 3-liter V6 diesel power units to alter emissions characteristics in a forbidden manner,” the company said in a statement. “Volkswagen will cooperate fully with the EPA clarify this matter in its entirety.”

In its own statement, Porsche Cars North America said the company was “surprised” to learn of the alleged violations.

“Until this notice, all of our information was that the Porsche Cayenne Diesel is fully compliant,” the statement said. “Porsche Cars North America will cooperate fully with all relevant authorities.”

The EPA’s new Notice of Violation covers about 10,000 vehicles from the 2014 and 2015 model years. The EPA also said an unknown number of 2016 model year vehicles are involved.

"The EPA's investigation into this matter is continuing," the notice said. "The EPA may find additional violations as the investigation continues."

New violations

In the notice, the EPA said VW manufactured and installed software in the electronic control module of the affected 3.0-liter diesel models that allowed it to pass U.S. emissions tests in a lab but emit nitrogen oxide emissions at levels higher than legally permitted in other situations.

It also said the automaker failed to disclose certain software functions that affected emissions performance as required by law, and that such software is considered to be a defeat device when it is designed to circumvent emissions tests.

According to the EPA, software on the 3.0-liter diesel models could sense when a vehicle was undergoing formal U.S. emissions testing, and in turn would switch on a “temperature conditioning” engine mode. In this mode, settings for ignition timing, exhaust gas recirculation rate and common-rail fuel pressure were set to yield high exhaust temperatures and low Nitrogen Oxide emissions, the EPA said. The high exhaust temperatures would then heat the vehicle’s selective catalytic reduction system, improving its ability to reduce tailpipe NOx emissions, according to the EPA’s notice of violation.

That software had a timer that would end the low-NOx “temperature conditioning” mode one second after completing the “initial phases” of a U.S. emissions testing procedure. The engine would then switch to a “normal mode” where the emissions control system was less effective, the EPA said.

The EPA also said that when the vehicles were started in conditions different than that federal test procedure, the vehicle skipped the low-NOx mode and started under the normal, higher-NOx mode, where tailpipe NOx emissions were up to nine-times greater than the legally-permitted levels, the EPA said.

“VW knew or should have known that the software described above bypasses, defeats or renders inoperative” systems used to comply with U.S. emissions standards, the EPA said. “The is apparent given the design of these defeat devices.”

The EPA also said the software at issue contained Auxiliary Emission Control Devices that were not disclosed to the agency as required by law. In general, such software is legal if its functions can be observed during testing and it is properly disclosed to the agency.

Joint testing

In a conference call with reporters, EPA officials said the “defeat device” software found on the 3.0-liter diesel engines was discovered through the agency’s joint testing initiative with the California Air Resources Board to seek out such defeat devices on diesel vehicles industrywide.

That probe has so far only discovered defeat devices on the VW, Porsche and Audi models identified by the agency to date, Janet McCabe, acting assistant administrator from the EPA’s Office of Air & Radiation, said on the call. The EPA’s Sept. 18 violation covered 482,000 VW Group vehicles with 2.0-liter diesel engines, including the Jetta, Golf, Passat, and Audi A3.

While the agency, along with CARB, plans to test all light-duty diesel vehicles on sale now for defeat devices, it’s not certain whether any automakers have been cleared to date.

Monday's developments prompted angry reactions from U.S. lawmakers.

VW of America CEO Michael Horn told a U.S. House panel last month he believed it was the work of a “couple” of engineers that led to the defeat devices in the 2.0-liter diesels, rather than a corporate decision.

“The latest revelations raise the question, where does VW’s road of deceit end? The EPA expanding its investigation prompts questions regarding the prevalence of the emissions cheating and how it went undetected for so long,” said a bi-partisan group of lawmakers from the House Energy and Commerce Committee panel that held the hearing, including full committee chair, Rep. Fred Upton, R-Mich.

“Our bipartisan investigation continues -- it’s time for Volkswagen to fully come clean.”

U.S. Sens Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., and Edward J. Markey, D-Mass., said in a joint statement that VW should be "held accountable for illegally using defeat devices to cheat consumers and emissions controls."

"The (Obama) administration should reverse any CAFE or other benefits VW might have enjoyed as a result of illegal behavior. We commend EPA for holding VW accountable for their actions and for protecting the air we breathe from pollution.”

The expanded lists of nameplates involved in the scandal also could spark additional litigation At least one major U.S. plaintiffs' law firm on Monday issued a statement soliciting additional claimants. VW faces an estimated 325 consumer lawsuits in U.S. courts over the matter, according to Bloomberg estimates.

Don't be shocked if VW declares Chapter 11 and exits the US/Canada market.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 11:20:31 pm »
^^^^ I read that like 10min ago! the Dieselgate will take VW down for sure...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
First Drive: 2016 Volkswagen Passat
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 06:44:44 am »
Considering VW has a factory in the US, I highly doubt they will be forced into a Chapter 11 situation.  They directly employ 2000 people plus who knows how many more indirectly.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 07:11:40 am »
Leave VW alone and close down the EPA.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 08:49:44 am »
It'll likely end up being the cost of repairs and maybe a $2B fine.

They've got somewhere around $31B cash in hand, so they'll make it through this.

If for whatever reason things go pear shaped, the German government will step in.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 08:54:38 am »

Much deeper than that.  VW US market share is approx. 1.9% BEFORE Diesel Gate!

That is quite the nonsensical segue.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 07:26:32 pm »
That is quite the nonsensical segue

VW Canada's financing and residuals are in chaos.  Perfectly connected to Diesel Gate. 

Paris to ban Diesels by 2020. 

It's only nonsensical to a VW owner.  :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:32:44 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 10:25:16 pm »
That is quite the nonsensical segue

VW Canada's financing and residuals are in chaos.  Perfectly connected to Diesel Gate. 

Paris to ban Diesels by 2020. 

It's only nonsensical to a VW owner.  :)

So my local dealer won't be able to quote me residuals or interest rates?

Offline SXT

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Mazda 6
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 12:39:46 pm »
The base engine in the Fusion is the 1.5 L Ecoboost (181hp/185ft-lbs).

The 170hp/184ft-lbs in the Passat is right in there. Running it on 93 octane apparently bumps output to 191hp and 203ft-lbs based on APR's testing.

Do you notice a jump in hp/torque when using 93 octane?
That is a big jump, most cars that use regular instead of premium lose only 5-10 HP and similar torque numbers which can't be felt.

However, Mustang 2.3 L turbo has a big downgrade in HP when burning 87.
Read on torquenews it's 270 HP, 40HP is significant.  Not sure why it won't allow me to post the link.