Author Topic: First Drive: 2016 Honda Civic Sedan  (Read 81342 times)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2016 Honda Civic Sedan
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2015, 07:13:58 pm »
I have to say, this looks really good! Honda and Toyota have upped the compact segment by quite a bit in my opinion - with the exception of the Mazda3, everything else is looking outdated in comparison. The Detroit 3 better be getting their updated compacts ready for early 2017 or they will lose significant market share - IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2016 Honda Civic Sedan
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2015, 07:37:10 pm »
With its  family sedan size and Germanized coupe silhouette, this car will be the bread and butter for Honda. What I'm concern is that with this overgrown Civic, Honda will cannibalize Accord sales...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2015, 07:43:37 pm »
No CD....you think they could have put one in. My wife would cross the car off her list for that.
To be fair, your wife is in a massively small minority that still uses CDs.  Load up a USB stick for her with the capacity of 5,000 CDs for a trivial cost and all of a sudden, CDs are completely obsolete.

I remember in the 1997 Cavalier that we paid something like $800 to 'upgrade' so that it could have a CD player - and it broke 3 times (under warranty - when it broke a fourth time after about 6 years' of ownership, we stopped fixing it).

He he, yep, a stick is the only music source I use in my car.......but you don't know my wife!  :o

I am sure it gets less and less common.  But some people with CD players already in there car, that aren't Bluetooth ready, or have USB, or AUX in still use CDs.  I sometimes use CDs.  Especially for kids music.  Considering the Odyssey at the time wasn't ready for newer media.  My parents still use CD's.  As do my wife's parents.  And my Aunt, who has a 13 year old Civic.. It will be an adjustment. 

The last thing I need is to get phone calls, from the older generation.  How to rip their CD's on to a flash stick, or to a phone..

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2015, 07:49:00 pm »
The 2015 was plenty wide and comfortable so the (130mm) 5" is needless and something I'm sure a lot of people won't like.  Those would be compact car buyers.  Accord and Camry buyers will be pleased as punch. 

The 2015 Civic is fairly low and taking 20mm of this makes it distinctly low.  A certain demographic will find this difficult to tolerate and migrate to a taller vehicle.

All in all, a great upgrade but the theme of the article nailed it - is Honda selling Accords or Civics?  Now in the compact car segment, the Fit is the only car Honda has available.  A great car but if you want a compact sedan that is easy to get in and out of and manoeuver and park in tight traffic, there is no small sedan in Honda's lineup.

I know the Mazda 3 and Corolla have gotten bigger and the 2016 Civic seems like a big step forward but maybe it has left some of its original appeal at the curb.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2015, 08:07:21 pm »
Just give me a USB / sd slot for music

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2015, 08:21:40 pm »
I only have a CD player in my Odyssey and it's pretty annoying having to burn CDs, change CDs, dealing with scratched CDs, etc. My Sienna had a cassette so I could at least plug in a Bluetooth adapter.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2015, 08:25:08 pm »
So the new Civic is the size of an Accord from the late 90's...

1995 Civic / Accord

Length: 173 inches   184 inches
Width: 66.9 inches      70.1 inches
Height: 51.7 inches   55.1 inches

2005 Civic

Length: 175.4 inches   189.5 inches
Width: 67.5 inches   71.5 inches
Height: 56.7 inches   57.1 inches

2015 Civic

Length: 179.4 inches   191.4 inches
Width: 69 inches   72.8 inches
Height: 56.5 inches   57.7 inches

2016 Civic

Length: 182.3 inches   192.5 inches
Width: 70.8 inches   72.8 inches
Height: 55.7 inches   57.7 inches

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2015, 08:41:16 pm »
The Acura TSX is arguably a good handling midsize sedan. In fact, after I drove one, I wonder why I didn't get a used TSX instead of a Mazda 3.

2004 TSX:
Length: 183.3 in
Width: 69.4 in
Height: 57.3 in

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2015, 09:19:11 pm »
The Acura TSX is arguably a good handling midsize sedan. In fact, after I drove one, I wonder why I didn't get a used TSX instead of a Mazda 3.

2004 TSX:
Because the timing chain tensioner failure will happen on it and it's a pile of labour to fix.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2015, 09:32:16 pm »

2004 TSX:
Because the timing chain tensioner failure will happen on it and it's a pile of labour to fix.

It could be a pile to fix.  But fixing the tensioner before isn't bad.  Engine doesn't need to come out or anything.  And it's usually only afflicts modified engines.  (usually).
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2015, 10:22:28 pm »
No CD....you think they could have put one in. My wife would cross the car off her list for that.
To be fair, your wife is in a massively small minority that still uses CDs.  Load up a USB stick for her with the capacity of 5,000 CDs for a trivial cost and all of a sudden, CDs are completely obsolete.

I remember in the 1997 Cavalier that we paid something like $800 to 'upgrade' so that it could have a CD player - and it broke 3 times (under warranty - when it broke a fourth time after about 6 years' of ownership, we stopped fixing it).

He he, yep, a stick is the only music source I use in my car.......but you don't know my wife!  :o

I am sure it gets less and less common.  But some people with CD players already in there car, that aren't Bluetooth ready, or have USB, or AUX in still use CDs.  I sometimes use CDs.  Especially for kids music.  Considering the Odyssey at the time wasn't ready for newer media.  My parents still use CD's.  As do my wife's parents.  And my Aunt, who has a 13 year old Civic.. It will be an adjustment. 

The last thing I need is to get phone calls, from the older generation.  How to rip their CD's on to a flash stick, or to a phone..

Yeah this "people just gotta adjust" argument doesn't hold water at all. Just chest thumping, "I know the latest" talk, or manufacturer's employees promoting their product. The proof is, music CDs are on sale pretty much everywhere. Today. Anyone who doesn't believe that, check the links;

www.amazon.ca/

http://www.walmart.ca/en/movies-music-books/music/N-1187

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/music/20554.aspx?path=b7ab64a099b5ac3f70c33eaf5c233224en01

What percentage of upcoming Civic buyers know how to convert their future CD purchases and all their past CDs to a USB stick? What's the cost for that (equipment + their time)? Horribly inefficient, little net gain. Why some Civic buyers, maybe lots, don't even have a computer capable of doing it, or at the very least, know how to use it. Some people just have smart phones, some don't even have those. The only purpose for USB stick music for a car is narrowing the songs to the ones the person really likes, as well as converting video music to play in the car.   

No, what we have here folks is a Manufacturer trying to save $ 15.00 in equipment and electronics costs and streamline interior design at the same time. What do you want to bet there will be an expensive dealer add on "option" (for added new profit margins) where before it was standard equipment - I call it sleazy marketing 101.

Unfortunately this kind of greed sometimes bites back. People may actually realize that its their money and they aren't a slave of the manufacturer. What a concept! So, lost sales and market share result when they go elsewhere.   

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2015, 10:36:32 pm »
I'd argue the demographic that Honda want buying the car won't have a use for CDs. Oldsters and their CDs aren't it.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2015, 11:00:02 pm »

Yeah this "people just gotta adjust" argument doesn't hold water at all. Just chest thumping, "I know the latest" talk, or manufacturer's employees promoting their product. The proof is, music CDs are on sale pretty much everywhere. Today. Anyone who doesn't believe that, check the links;

www.amazon.ca/

http://www.walmart.ca/en/movies-music-books/music/N-1187

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/music/20554.aspx?path=b7ab64a099b5ac3f70c33eaf5c233224en01

What percentage of upcoming Civic buyers know how to convert their future CD purchases and all their past CDs to a USB stick? What's the cost for that (equipment + their time)? Horribly inefficient, little net gain. Why some Civic buyers, maybe lots, don't even have a computer capable of doing it, or at the very least, know how to use it. Some people just have smart phones, some don't even have those. The only purpose for USB stick music for a car is narrowing the songs to the ones the person really likes, as well as converting video music to play in the car.   

No, what we have here folks is a Manufacturer trying to save $ 15.00 in equipment and electronics costs and streamline interior design at the same time. What do you want to bet there will be an expensive dealer add on "option" (for added new profit margins) where before it was standard equipment - I call it sleazy marketing 101.

Unfortunately this kind of greed sometimes bites back. People may actually realize that its their money and they aren't a slave of the manufacturer. What a concept! So, lost sales and market share result when they go elsewhere.   
If you own a computer, it's just some software...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15577/how-to-rip-an-audio-cd-to-flac-with-foobar2000/

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2015, 11:04:10 pm »

If you don't have a computer, you need to buy one.  And if you have several hundred CDs, you need to buy plenty of disc.  Plus all the time....

Thanks...but no thanks.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2015, 11:16:40 pm »
No question ... nice job Honda.  A few too many models, but that's on the business end of it. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2015, 11:37:53 pm »

If you don't have a computer, you need to buy one.  And if you have several hundred CDs, you need to buy plenty of disc.  Plus all the time....

Thanks...but no thanks.
I have several hundred CDs that I converted years ago to MP3s.  Easier to carry on a USB stick.  Hard drive space is cheap.

Do people still buy CDs?  I know I don't when I can now buy an individual song versus a whole album with maybe only 30% of the songs that I like.  Plus it's so much more convenient to pay and get it instantly in the convenience of my home.

I also have hundreds of vinyl albums which I enjoy in my home.

Is anyone upset that 8-tracks and tape decks have disappeared?  How about type-writers?  I know of one person who was so upset when he couldn't get spares for his type-writer.  I mean come on!  He then started using a computer, but like a type-writer.  Then he discovered the save function.  Mind=Blown.

Really, it's time people get with the times or become obsolete with the past.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:40:36 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2015, 11:43:52 pm »

Do people still buy CDs?

I do. And so do others.  140 million last year.  But I also listen to streaming because it comes with my Amazon Prime. 

I really don't think it's a big deal or unreasonable to have a stereo in the car that supports CDs, streaming and USB...especially with the number of CDs that are still sold.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2016 Honda Civic Sedan
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2015, 11:48:00 pm »

I'd argue the demographic that Honda want buying the car won't have a use for CDs. Oldsters and their CDs aren't it.

I have a CD/DVD unit in my cars...never used it. USB all the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2015, 11:50:02 pm »
I dont need no stinkin CD player...I have an engine racing to redline to listen to, thank you very much...

My Alfa has a crap/broken stereo...and I dont think I will ever get around to fixing it :)

Seriously though, interesting move when the usual demographic for Honda are still "yesterday tech" devotees
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2015, 12:02:23 am »
I dont need no stinkin CD player...I have an engine racing to redline to listen to, thank you very much...

My Alfa has a crap/broken stereo...and I dont think I will ever get around to fixing it :)

Seriously though, interesting move when the usual demographic for Honda are still "yesterday tech" devotees

What?  Something crap or broken on an Alfa?  I don't believe it.   :rofl2: