Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Cruze  (Read 5092 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Cruze
« on: October 26, 2015, 06:30:58 am »

Outgoing Cruze Turbo Diesel appeals on mileage, performance and ride quality.
Read More...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Cruze
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 08:39:24 am »
that's a pretty positive review, must be a good car...kudos to Chevy for bringing it here.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 11:00:59 am »
I'm blown away at this article - not the best subject to read about, but Pritch, you basically made it argument-proof.

First reaction to "Cruze diesel":

...but you brought up the VW thing and then pointed out that this one continues to be for sale.  Yes, its interior refinement is suspect, but you note that the 2016 is on its way.  You note that it has silly good gas mileage, and give us good comparison figures.

Hell, this past weekend to Guelph, I averaged 6.8L/100km in the 2010 Corolla (traffic), and 5.6L/100km on the way home last night (no traffic) - this route is closer to 3/4 highway.

In any event, there is a good case for diesels, and the Cruze's unit is well thought-out and does in fact use SCR.  Nice read - thanks!

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 09:51:46 pm »
I got a '14 Eco model and it too gets great mileage. Mines even an auto that somehow gets better mileage sometimes the faster I go. I commute from central Niigata to Hamilton daily and avg high 5's round trip. And it's much cheaper than the diesel model since those come pretty well loaded and have different incentives vs. the gas models. Overall we're pretty happy. Just wished for a larger rear seat. Close to 60k already and no issues.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 12:01:36 am »
This would be a tempting replacement for the aging POS...0% for 84 months, $3000 or so rebate on the table (at least on the local dealers website)...if I could get even $10g for mine (can always dream), it could bring the bi-weekly in at around $100/mo after taxes. Maybe a bit more, depending if you can find the least loaded model possible.  Savings only of about $100-120/mo on fuel though (but then I didn't figure in what the difference in diesel vs gas is).  But then there's that pee fluid, how much does that cost? And how often do you need to fill it?  Would love to get 1000 km from a tank instead of 550, and on a tank that's 25-30% or so smaller. 

Insurance is a wash, within $40 or so of the older car I drive now! What!? I think it was actually less in the end. Makes no sense. 

Problem is space. And the old car is paid for, and a class/size up...but soon repair bills will probably start tallying to more than the monthly minus the fuel savings.  I hate conundrums.  I should just not think about it but it's a disease.  Maybe a gas job would be better....or that lovely blue Corolla with the 17"s instead.  ::)  Nice thing is if you wait too long...then you've waited too long. Keep driving the old one until you absolutely can't. Then buy a used Cruze, might come out ahead then. Or at least know if they're any good after 3-5 yrs.

You're forgetting oil changes.  Diesels typically have significantly more expensive oil changes than their gas counterparts...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 07:20:34 am »
This would be a tempting replacement for the aging POS...0% for 84 months, $3000 or so rebate on the table (at least on the local dealers website)...if I could get even $10g for mine (can always dream), it could bring the bi-weekly in at around $100/mo after taxes. Maybe a bit more, depending if you can find the least loaded model possible.  Savings only of about $100-120/mo on fuel though (but then I didn't figure in what the difference in diesel vs gas is).  But then there's that pee fluid, how much does that cost? And how often do you need to fill it?  Would love to get 1000 km from a tank instead of 550, and on a tank that's 25-30% or so smaller. 

Insurance is a wash, within $40 or so of the older car I drive now! What!? I think it was actually less in the end. Makes no sense. 

Problem is space. And the old car is paid for, and a class/size up...but soon repair bills will probably start tallying to more than the monthly minus the fuel savings.  I hate conundrums.  I should just not think about it but it's a disease.  Maybe a gas job would be better....or that lovely blue Corolla with the 17"s instead.  ::)  Nice thing is if you wait too long...then you've waited too long. Keep driving the old one until you absolutely can't. Then buy a used Cruze, might come out ahead then. Or at least know if they're any good after 3-5 yrs.

You're forgetting oil changes.  Diesels typically have significantly more expensive oil changes than their gas counterparts...
This is an   Article I would like to see , maintenance cost difference between diesel and gas
Ecodiesel oil change is $250 , a hemi would about $60

Offline lostcomma

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 11:47:47 pm »
Good review. The cruze may not win the camparo tests from the big magazines but it does have it's strong points and you nailed them. I do own one of the first to built (gas) and have little or no issues with the car. If I was to be in the market for this class of car, I would probably lust after something different, simply because the numbers are so intriging, but the problem is that in reality cars are more than specs. I might lust but the balance that the cruze has would be tough to find in another car and I am not sure that I could part with them. The ride on my rs is sporty yet not harsh, its quiet, no bucket of bolts, the seats are good for me for about a 14 hour drive. The trunk is 15 cubes larger cars have less. Get pretty good mph, I averaged 37mpg/ 7ish/per 100 with lot of in town driving with generous use of the turbo. Everybody comments about the fabric on the dash, then they push with their thumb to test for not sure what and then,  I tell them not to do that as it might become soft and shishy like those cars.
I did have an elantra for a rental once, I missed the cruze. Although I love the look of the elantra coupe, I don't like the looks of the sedan. It was just not as comfortable or quiet on the highway and I didn't like the interior styling. Other wise than that, it performed like I would expect a car in this very competitive class very well. Cars are so much better than they used to be.

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 08:59:10 am »
That is respectable mpg for the torque you have. Some Cruze owners with 1.4T see in the upper 4's all highway. Cruze 2.0 diesel owners can see upper 3's or about 60 mpg. But you'll have a long day in the saddle at the speed limit to see it.

If less than 150 lb-ft of torque is not to your liking, tuning the 1.4T to 250 lb-ft has been the norm. And with no negative effect on fuel economy in normal driving.