Author Topic: AJAC's Testfest starts tomorrow and here are our Canadian Car of the Year predictions  (Read 12736 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Liberal or conservative, the process will be democratic
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
No-san's predictions:

Small Car
Honda Civic.

The Jetta's new engine is a real peach, but VW will have a fresh reputation issue to deal with, and beyond that, the interior of the Jetta is...well...still low-rent.  A very nice car, but the changes to the Civic make it a whole new ballgame - let's also not forget that it, too, gets a whole new turbocharged engine.

Family Car
Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen (1.8 TSI)

The Volt is a great car, and would win a green car award hands down, but as a family car it lets down a bit in terms of space and utility.  The nail in the coffin is that this is a "family" category - not the Volt's strong point, in my opinion.  While the Volt will 'work' as one, the wagon's cargo space, reasonable performance (knocking out the mommy-mobile feeling), great outward visibility, and easy to live with nature all make it a winner in terms of the category.

The Sonata gets a notable mention for having a full trunk with 60/40 splitback and larger dimensions, but the higher price of entry is tough for younger families to eat.  Wagon for the win.

Sports/Performance (under $50,000)
This is between the Golf R and the MX-5 for me.  The Veloster is cute and quirky, but it's certainly not the definition that the "sports/performance" moniker commands.  The Camaro is just a beastly amount of power, but it can't hold a dime to the R or Miata's performance.  Brute strength is not the category for me, and I therefore give my full props to the Golf R.  However, given that it's about sports/performance on a 'budget', I'd actually say the Miata is going to win this one - and there's my vote.

Sports/Performance (over $50,000)
Having read Motor Trend's issue regarding most of these cars, I think it's a fairly easy determination as to which will not be in the running.  The ATS-V will not beat out the Corvette, nor the Lexus RC.  Between the Z06, if it's functioning (::)), and the C63, it's sort of a tough call.  I'd put my wager on the C63 taking the cake though.  The big question here is what will the Shelby will do.  On the track, it'll be an absolutely killing compared to the others here, but what about other factors?  Off Mosport, will the Shelby continue to impress?  I think not.  My vote remains on the C63.  The 'vette is very, very good...but I hear the C63 has really upped the ante.

Prestige/Performance (over $75,000)
Same issue here after the MT article - but here, the GT4 comes into play.  I'm wondering how the scoring will be weighted, though.  It's prestige and performance - so there has to be some of both, I'd think.  On that basis, the Benz and CTS-V go ahead of the GT4, and RCF falters a bit on outright performance now that a track day is included.

I'm putting my vote down for the Benz, though the CTS-V, I'm told, is quite the contender.  This will be a very, very difficult category for the judges - it may warrant double the time for testing ;)

SUV/CUV (under $35,000)
Sadly, and it's against my choice, but the HR-V is going win this one.  The Outlander still has a lot of issues to overcome, and the CX-3 is just too tight.  The 500X is really rough around the edges, and the Renegade is too 'niche' for its own good.

My personal vote goes to the CX-3, but objectively the HR-V will get the award.  Who knows, Outlander could shock us, but I think that about as likely as the Blue Jays winning the World Series this year...::)

SUV/CUV ($35,000-$60,000)
This one would be a fun contest.

The Tucson is great, but its transmission (surely the 1.6T will be featured here) is going to really put a dent in the car's scoring.  The new X1 is something to be seen, and the NX200t is a really important vehicle for Lexus.  Likewise, the Pilot and Edge are much improved, and the Sorento has its goodies, too.

I'm going to put my vote down for the NX200t here, though I'm likely to be wrong.  The X1 will be really interesting, and it may very well be the Pilot - I don't see the Edge winning out here, though.

SUV/CUV (over $60,000)
XC90, but the GLE will give it a good run for its money.  My vote is for the overly complex twin-charged engine ;D.  The GLE will likely be well-loved, but its pricing will likely weigh it out of competition (my thoughts, at least).

Pick-up
Voting for the underdog Taco, but 100% the Canyon's winning this one.

Testfest kicks off next Tuesday, October 26,
Does it start on Monday October 26, or Tuesday October 27?

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile

Testfest kicks off next Tuesday, October 26,
Does it start on Monday October 26, or Tuesday October 27?

Haha, ooops. It started today.
I used to work here.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
This test is always good for a chuckle.  Wonder what the most mismatched car-to-category will be this year?   :rofl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Wonder what the most mismatched car-to-category will be this year? 
Outlander, or Volt.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
I predict the testers are getting wet.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
I cannot believe that they are allowing the Renegade/Fiat CUV thing in seeing as how unreliable they are. I am rooting for the Camaro, Shelby GT305, CTS-V and C7 Z06, because V8 and 'Murica!!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I am rooting for the Camaro, Shelby GT305, CTS-V and C7 Z06, because V8 and 'Murica!!!
I'm surprised to hear you say that.  Coming from you, I expected to hear "4-banger turbos all the way!"

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
I am rooting for the Camaro, Shelby GT305, CTS-V and C7 Z06, because V8 and 'Murica!!!
I'm surprised to hear you say that.  Coming from you, I expected to hear "4-banger turbos all the way!"

Oh I like 4 banger turbos....in Subarus and crap like that  ;D

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
I predict the testers are getting wet.
:rofl2:
I'm sure the coffee will be free so it all works out in the end.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I hope that the track days are later in the week!

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150

That's not really how it works, so no. Some people did their track testing today.
I am wet.
The coffee was free, but horrible.
The most mismatched car this year is definitely the Volt - but it had to fit somewhere to be eligible for Green Car of the Year. This year's list is a lot less trollish than last year's.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile

That's not really how it works, so no. Some people did their track testing today.
I am wet.
The coffee was free, but horrible.
The most mismatched car this year is definitely the Volt - but it had to fit somewhere to be eligible for Green Car of the Year. This year's list is a lot less trollish than last year's.

I'd argue the smart fortwo is the most out of place. A tiny two-seater in a field of decent four-door compacts.

Also, it gets my vote for most useless defroster. At full blast, A/C on, it could barely keep the windshield and side glass clear of fog.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
^ Matches the rest of the POS car.... USELESS!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
This year's list is a lot less trollish than last year's.

....says AJAC every single year....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I'd argue the smart fortwo is the most out of place. A tiny two-seater in a field of decent four-door compacts.
...but the Jetta's kinda the only compact, whereas the rest are subcompacts, no?

In any event, I didn't really consider the fortwo since I don't consider it a real car :P  I kid.