Author Topic: Consumer Reports rates Lexus, Toyota and Audi most reliable auto brands  (Read 10970 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
FCA brands end up at the bottom of the pile
Read More...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Consumer Reports rates Lexus, Toyota and Audi most reliable auto brands
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 10:03:51 am »
The single biggest issue with CR is the inclusion of ergonomic or usability issues in their reliability survey. If someone thinks an HMI isn't responsive, or a transmission doesn't shift smoothly, it's something they should find out during the test drive.

By all means mention these issues in their road tests.

I'm only interested if things break.That's it. I'm quite capable of determining if I can live with a rough shifting car or odd controls.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 10:19:38 am by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 10:11:40 am »
The single biggest issue with CR if the inclusion of ergonomic or usability issues in their reliability survey. If someone thinks an HMI isn't responsive, or a transmission doesn't shift smoothly, it's something they should find out during the test drive.

I'm only interested if things break.That's it. I'm quite capable of determining if I can live with a rough shifting car or odd controls.

I'm with you 100%.....if I can't work the radio, Im the idiot who should have figured that out on the test drive!! I want to know if the headgaskets are as reliable as a 6L Ford diesel or the tranny as reliable as one from a mid 90s Chrysler, thats important, not something I can solve by getting an aftermarket double DIN stereo installed.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 10:12:07 am »
The single biggest issue with CR if the inclusion of ergonomic or usability issues in their reliability survey. If someone thinks an HMI isn't responsive, or a transmission doesn't shift smoothly, it's something they should find out during the test drive.

I agree.  If they include them, it should be weighted very low.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 11:00:03 am »
has Audi gotten better  ???  or are people more lenient because audis are pretty?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 11:11:10 am »
According to CR they do treat major mechanical issues ith more weighting. At least last time I read it in detail.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 11:24:21 am »
has Audi gotten better  ???  or are people more lenient because audis are pretty?
maybe Audi owners don't freak out when something goes wrong and take it as part of ownership experience.  :P  I'd be more likely to report something to CR if it broke down and the dealer would look for excuses not to fix it ("it's normal, they all do it"). If Audi cars remained the same in reliability but service has greatly improved then surely the brand will look better in surveys.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 12:51:37 pm »
how new are the cars again in these surveys? i should hope their aren't a HUGE number of major mechanical issues...

the transmissions though are worrisome. while yeah, some of it is just shifting and people not liking it, some of it is actual failure. we've replaced a few transmissions now. as a percentage, very very small, but just the fact that there have been any is not helpful....

same cars (cherokee mostly) have been having some electrical gremlins too... now with everything being digital and electronic (transmission, e-brake, steering, dash, etc.) really can create a troubleshooting problem.

while i don't put much weight into these articles/surveys, they still do offer a brief glimpse into things people might find troublesome. just one small tool in the toolbox of deciding on a new car...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 01:29:38 pm »
Seems people get the HMI commander that the Germans, Lexus, and Mazda use.  Could be part of the reason why they are near the top of the reliability ratings (with the ease of use factor).  Hope Mazda plans to use the 6 speed autos for awhile.  As it is clear they are still more reliable.   Pretty surprised to see Honda move down so much.  As no Honda uses the 9 speed automatic.  Only the Acura TLX, and 2016 MDX. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 01:40:14 pm »
Seems people get the HMI commander that the Germans, Lexus, and Mazda use.  Could be part of the reason why they are near the top of the reliability ratings (with the ease of use factor).  Hope Mazda plans to use the 6 speed autos for awhile.  As it is clear they are still more reliable.   Pretty surprised to see Honda move down so much.  As no Honda uses the 9 speed automatic.  Only the Acura TLX, and 2016 MDX.

With Honda, only the new 2016 Pilot Touring will use the 9speed.  I think Honda fell down because of more CVT usage (Accord, Civic) and some people don't like the feel of CVTs as alluded to in the article:

CR says Nissan’s mid-pack finish is owed to reported flaws with its continuously variable transmissions (CVT), and it’s a similar story for Honda, which this year slips four places, to eighth.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 02:29:21 pm »
The single biggest issue with CR is the inclusion of ergonomic or usability issues in their reliability survey. If someone thinks an HMI isn't responsive, or a transmission doesn't shift smoothly, it's something they should find out during the test drive.

This is a bit surprising coming from you. I thought you believed much more in the "the system needs to protect people from their own bad decisions / lack of intelligence / lack of ability" angle.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 03:12:54 pm »

With Honda, only the new 2016 Pilot Touring will use the 9speed.  I think Honda fell down because of more CVT usage (Accord, Civic) and some people don't like the feel of CVTs as alluded to in the article:

CR says Nissan’s mid-pack finish is owed to reported flaws with its continuously variable transmissions (CVT), and it’s a similar story for Honda, which this year slips four places, to eighth.

I didn't include the Pilot, because I don't think the data given was for the 2016 Pilot yet.  Also the article says "flaws with CVT", but I don't know of much reliability issues with Hondas CVT.  I know Nissan's CVT have had issues, and aren't as smooth.  Haven't tried a Honda CVT. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 03:53:54 pm »
Nissans CVT s aren't just coarse, they seem to have failure issues.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 03:58:17 pm »
Nissans CVT s aren't just coarse, they seem to have failure issues.

The 4 cylinders tend to be coarse because the engines are not all that smooth.  The V6s are pretty smooth.

Most of the failures that I know of tend to be with the 4 cylinder models and the unit they are using in the newer Pathfinder.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 04:09:14 pm »

This is a bit surprising coming from you. I thought you believed much more in the "the system needs to protect people from their own bad decisions / lack of intelligence / lack of ability" angle.

People should be free to make bad decisions, to a point. Having someone have to put up with harsh shifting or poor ergonomics isn't going to have devastating consequences.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 04:55:44 pm »
So far, my wife's 200 has been a very nice car indeed, but that transmission takes a lot of getting used to.

It doesn't shift like any automatic I've ever driven. I've found that it is quite smooth, but the number of shifts it goes through ends up feeling odd. Also, it REALLY hates it if you floor it. At that point, it WILL take its time shifting down. A youtube reviewer - Alex on Autos - has a great video explaining the peculiarities of this transmission.

As mentioned above, there have been some new transmissions going into cars, but I suspect that majority of complaints are from those getting their brains wrapped around the way the car works.

So far though, it has delivered some really good fuel economy numbers for us and we're really happy with it.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 04:56:36 pm »

i think those people are just scared to admit they can't figure it out.... "oh, you can't figure it out?... you must be new to the brand"...

those high end systems i find some of the worst... nothing seems to be where it should, but it sure looks and feels nice!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 05:00:57 pm »

I'm only interested if things break.

If you were truly interested in things breaking, you wouldn't have bought a VW.   :stick:   :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 05:34:45 pm »

I'm only interested if things break.

If you were truly interested in things breaking, you wouldn't have bought a VW.   :stick:   :rofl2:

No, he's interested in observing first hand what it is like when things break ;D

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 05:44:13 pm »
You're both right!  ;D