Author Topic: 2016 M4 GTS boosts power with water injection  (Read 10402 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
2016 M4 GTS boosts power with water injection
« on: October 20, 2015, 03:38:49 pm »
Racing tech trickles down to its first road car
Read More...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: 2016 M4 GTS boosts power with water injection
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 03:53:13 pm »
Water/meth injection has been a thing for a while. Corrosion is a huge issue so thats why it hasn't been popular for daily drivers. This just sounds troublesome for the average guy to try to maintain. Snow Performance has been doing this for years

http://www.snowperformance.net/Stage-3-Boost-Cooler-Water-Methanol-Injection-Kit-p/310.htm
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:06:44 pm »
I hear this thing may be coming to Canada...
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 04:13:05 pm »
meth injection has been a thing for a while.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 05:42:15 pm »
 ??? ::) then why is he choosing BEER ov'r METH...... ??? ..does Canuck have a NEW IMPROVED RECIPE

Scottish ALE with 50% added MALT from ISLAY.....that should slay the Sassenachs....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Carboy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 07:54:24 pm »

hmmmm........... a large container of water in stored in a car during a Canadian winter. What could possibly go wrong?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 08:05:12 pm »

hmmmm........... a large container of water in stored in a car during a Canadian winter. What could possibly go wrong?

It's usually mixed with methanol.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +30/-45
    • View Profile
  • Cars: I-Mark, 240sx, MR2 GTS
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 08:44:46 pm »
Just chip it. That'll get your extra 68 horsepower, no dicking around with water injection. They can keep that wing, too. Blugh.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 08:47:25 pm »
Water/meth injection has been a thing for a while. Corrosion is a huge issue so thats why it hasn't been popular for daily drivers. This just sounds troublesome for the average guy to try to maintain. Snow Performance has been doing this for years

http://www.snowperformance.net/Stage-3-Boost-Cooler-Water-Methanol-Injection-Kit-p/310.htm

Don't forget to stock up on Turbo-Rocket Fluid!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iieDedNEYuI

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 08:54:28 pm »

Yep.  And Snow Performance has the shittiest components I have ever seen.  I have had their fail safe module fail.  So much for being fail safe.  And looking at their design it is not inherently fail safe from a controls perspective. Methanol kills the pumps eventually too.  Had a pump fail on me too.  The other problem with 99% of the kits out there is they duty cycle the pump to control delivery, but it is very inconsistent from run to run.  As well, you cannot get even distribution to each cylinder if you are just spraying it into the intake tract.

The only way I would do water/methanol injection is if it's an Aquamist kit which has injectors that you duty cycle with a constant running pump to guarantee consistent delivery.  However, I would still want to plumb it into the intake manifold with individual feeds to each cylinder.

Honestly, I'd rather pay for more octane than screwing around with water/methanol injection.  Race fuel is cheaper than engines when your water/methanol system fails.

One nice thing with water/methanol injection is you never have to worry about carbon build up issues that is common with so many DI engines.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 08:57:08 pm »
Didn't the Saab 99 Turbo have water injection (in the late '70s)?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 09:01:27 pm »

Yep.  And Snow Performance has the shittiest components I have ever seen.  I have had their fail safe module fail.  So much for being fail safe.  And looking at their design it is not inherently fail safe from a controls perspective. Methanol kills the pumps eventually too.  Had a pump fail on me too.  The other problem with 99% of the kits out there is they duty cycle the pump to control delivery, but it is very inconsistent from run to run.  As well, you cannot get even distribution to each cylinder if you are just spraying it into the intake tract.

The only way I would do water/methanol injection is if it's an Aquamist kit which has injectors that you duty cycle with a constant running pump to guarantee consistent delivery.  However, I would still want to plumb it into the intake manifold with individual feeds to each cylinder.

Honestly, I'd rather pay for more octane than screwing around with water/methanol injection.  Race fuel is cheaper than engines when your water/methanol system fails.

One nice thing with water/methanol injection is you never have to worry about carbon build up issues that is common with so many DI engines.

In that case, you want E85 and be done with it.  HUUUGE gains.  And way, way cheaper than race fuel.

Alcohol Injections Systems make a really nice kit too.  http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/index.php?cPath=37

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 10:07:48 pm »

I totally agree with you, fuel over water.....if we had E85 you could really tune the crap out of cars.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 12:22:48 am »

Don't forget to stock up on Turbo-Rocket Fluid!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iieDedNEYuI

Excellent! It's the first thing that came to mind!  :fiver:

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 08:35:47 am »
I hear this thing may be coming to Canada...

Just like the first line of the article says...
I used to work here.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 09:21:23 am »

In that case, you want E85 and be done with it.  HUUUGE gains.  And way, way cheaper than race fuel.

Alcohol Injections Systems make a really nice kit too.  http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/index.php?cPath=37

Problem is, we don't have a single E85 pump in Alberta.  If it was more commonly available, I would have done it in a heartbeat.  The Haltech Platinum Pro in my car can take a flex fuel sensor input and compensation tables can be setup.

I saw the Alcohol Injection kits.  The base premise is the same as Snow's kits.  You can never get consistent delivery nor good response when you duty cycle the pump to change delivery rates.  Hence why Aquamist is the best and is a lot more $$$ to do.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 09:25:18 am by mixmanmash »

Offline Silverbird

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 A4 Avant, 2008 VW Rabbit
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 10:57:57 am »

I totally agree with you, fuel over water.....if we had E85 you could really tune the crap out of cars.

Agreed 100%, APR has a chip for the 2.0T in the A4, if you run E85, with no other changes, bumps to 280 hp/367 tq at the  wheels.
Unfortunately only for US flex fuel A4's, but it shows the amount of boost and fuel delivery that can be dialed in on E85.

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen2_long_b85.html

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 10:59:36 am »

Agreed 100%, APR has a chip for the 2.0T in the A4, if you run E85, with no other changes, bumps to 280 hp/367 tq at the  wheels.
Unfortunately only for US flex fuel A4's, but it shows the amount of boost and fuel delivery that can be dialed in on E85.

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen2_long_b85.html

Thats why I do not get all the stickers and badges on vehicles with the flex fuel crap....yeah, in the states, maybe, I have never heard or have seen an E85 pump in Alberta, BC, Sask or Manitoba.

Offline Silverbird

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 A4 Avant, 2008 VW Rabbit
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 12:42:44 pm »

Thats why I do not get all the stickers and badges on vehicles with the flex fuel crap....yeah, in the states, maybe, I have never heard or have seen an E85 pump in Alberta, BC, Sask or Manitoba.

Probably:
1) To let you know that you could refuel with E85 if you happen to visit where it is available
2) I believe OEMs get CAFE credits for selling flexfuel vehicles in the US, I'm not sure if they get any credit for Export sales.