Author Topic: Road Trip: 2015 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagon TDI  (Read 13093 times)

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
Re: Road Trip: 2015 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagon TDI
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 01:57:51 pm »

Well, I wrote this a while ago, before the TDIs were pulled and before the '16 cars were readily available. However, with a review like this, sometimes what'll happen is that in a year or so somebody will google "2015 Golf Wagon TDI" or something, as they're looking at a used one, and the criticisms of the infotainment will apply to that model year. Sorry if I'm harping on it, but it is pretty terrible. Have yet to see what the improved version's like.

Let me further add something semi-related to this car. I recently replaced my WRX, as it was getting a little long in the tooth and also the engine blew up (a minor inconvenience). I wanted: hatchback, power, manual, all-wheel-drive. Well, the Golf R would handle all that, right? A little pricey, but it's all there. However, I just didn't trust VW (this was, again, before the emissions kerfuffle). Sludge, coil-packs, carbon buildup in the heads: all car companies have problems, but I just didn't want to get stuck with something. I usually recommend that people lease VWs as they get costly outside the warranty period, and VW can be fussy about warranty claims. I usually prefer buying my cars and keeping them a little longer than that.

So, I ended up with an older STI hatch (Subaru has its own issues too, hello ringlands), just because of a gut feeling about the brand. I wonder how many people will simply avoid buying a VW because of brand reputation, and buy something easy like a CRV or a Camry or a Mazda3 instead.

Brendan, thanks for the explanation. Fair point - that does make sense.

Also, as a fellow fairly-long-in-the-tooth turbo Subie hatch/wagon owner, i found the above very insightful. Congrats on the awesome ride - looking forward to reading about your impressions.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 02:21:04 pm »
No-San

I get what you're saying.  We all love Subaru's and for some they are the right choice.  It's all about what is important to you.  Subaru's interiors are getting better and recent changes have addressed some of the problems people have complained about.  You definitely got a good deal on your subie.  I've always found Subaru are more stingy with their offers than most car makers, that helps in keeping resale values high though I guess.

I'll be the first to say that VW highline trim leveled vehicles are some of the worst value's out there and historically they only offer deals on the less desireable vehicles in their lineup.  If I could have saved myself some money and gotten a lower trim leveled Golf R with cloth, no Nav, and 17 inche rims I would have.  These things are not important to me, it's all about the drive.

I thought Canada was only going to be getting the jacked up Sportwagon Allroad version, which I would think you'd prefer with wanting more ground clearance.  Maybe I missed the announcement that Canada will be getting the regular Sportwagon with 4Motion.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 04:07:32 pm »
I thought Canada was only going to be getting the jacked up Sportwagon Allroad version, which I would think you'd prefer with wanting more ground clearance.  Maybe I missed the announcement that Canada will be getting the regular Sportwagon with 4Motion.
More likely that I'm misinformed.  I used to be very knowledgeable about stuff, then got very busy at work and just stopped caring.

The Alltrack likely is better for me - I prefer the body cladding :P

...but there's a strong point to be made here about Navi systems, leather, etc. being somewhat less attractive than they used to be, and I agree with you on that front.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 04:57:52 pm »

I heard we are getting both. There was even a post about it a while ago but I'm too lazy to find it. Of course, given everything that has happened with VW lately, who knows what we will even get.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 07:50:52 pm »
VW TDI engine cars are the only future diesels' collectables...

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 07:54:13 pm »
VW TDI engine cars are the only future diesels' collectables...

Funny.   :rofl2: :rofl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 06:57:00 am »

I heard we are getting both. There was even a post about it a while ago but I'm too lazy to find it. Of course, given everything that has happened with VW lately, who knows what we will even get.

I doubt we'll get both but I hope we do or only get the regular Sportwagon with 4Motion.  I just think there won't be enough sales to support both and I remember hearing that the Allroad or whatever they'll call it is coming for sure.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Road Trip: 2015 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagon TDI
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 08:37:37 am »

However, the Sportwagon was more than equal to the task in this regard. Because of the requirements of pickup point and timing, we actually ended up unloading a Tiguan into the little silver wagon, with some surprising results. While bigger and heftier feeling than any Golf, the Tiguan’s carrying capacity just quailed in the presence of the wagon’s cavernous trunk.

I wonder when the 4-motion Golf wagon shows up how it will affect the sales of the Tiguan.

With the new Tiguan on the way I'd say it won't effect it much at all.  If you want the maximum amount of cargo space, with best fuel economy, but feel you need AWD, you'll choose the wagon with 4Motion.

'On the way' aka 2017 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 08:43:12 am »

I doubt we'll get both but I hope we do or only get the regular Sportwagon with 4Motion.  I just think there won't be enough sales to support both and I remember hearing that the Allroad or whatever they'll call it is coming for sure.

Volkswagen Canada has already said we're getting both.

Offline soj

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 CSX, 1997 1.6 el, 1991 740 Turbo Wagon
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2015, 05:16:45 pm »
The whole VW diesel emission gaming fiasco does make one sit up and wonder.  As I understand it, the USEPA does undertake independent emissions testing as opposed to the EU where testing is outsourced to commercial third party service providers.  The inference in the articles I read was that there was far more ..nudge..nudge..wink..wink going on in Europe when it came to diesel emission testing.  Could this be the reason why the selection of diesel vehicles is so limited in NA? 

As I recollect, Mazda not so long ago announced a diesel Mazda 6 which ran into unspecified certification problems and then got pulled for the foreseeable future.  I also recollect that Acura at one point was going to bring in a diesel which also seems to have gone the way of the dodo bird.  Could it be that these manufacturers went partway down the path to discover they couldn't meet the NOx criteria without ................. cheating and then made the corporate decision to not go there.

Sorry, I never quite bought the story that North Americans didn't like diesels (all because of GM's initial disastrous foray) nor the claim that you couldn't find filling stations (when the entire heavy truck fleet runs on the stuff).