Author Topic: Ram 1500 EcoDiesel repeats as overall winner in 2016 Canadian Truck King Challenge  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Ram 1500 EcoDiesel repeats as overall winner
Read More...

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
I wasn't aware of this test before today, and I gotta say, looks very interesting!

The detailed fuel economy reports aren't up yet, but looking through previous results was an eye opener.

The tidbit I'm waiting for from the most recent test is the fuel economy comparison between the Ram 1500 diesel and Colorado diesel. While they were saddled with different trailer weights, the unladen and 1000lbs payload tests would be the same. I suspect that the Colorado would carry only a slight advantage but we'll have to see.

Of course, the winner here is really VM Motori, who produces both the diesel in the Ram and the GM trucks.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
GMC’s Canyon was chosen as overall runner-up, and winner in the mid-size pickup category, where it competed against the Chevrolet Colorado, and Toyota Tacoma.
:rofl:

Shame Toyota didn't make a Scion twin to the Tacoma or it may have been a more fair battlefield.  I suppose a Toyobaru could have been considered, too.  And then perhaps a Lexus Tacoma?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
See to me a GM with the 6.2 V8 is a hell of a lot more attractive than the Ecodiesel, but to each his own.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
Of course, the winner here is really VM Motori, who produces both the diesel in the Ram and the GM trucks.

Just as a note VM Motori is now 100% owned by FCA and no longer makes any Diesel motors for GM (Used to be a GM Fiat 50-50 joint venture).  The 2.8 Diesel that GM uses is manufactured in a GM facility in Thailand.  The new 2.8L motor in the Colorado/Canyon likely has some roots from the old VM Motori engine as GM would have retained the design rights for these motors. GM also has some roots with Izuzu in diesel motors and there was likely some influence from that as well.

Also a tidbit of information.  The 3.0 V6 diesel used in the Ram was originally designed for Cadillac but never used by GM.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:21:07 pm by Neromanceres »

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF

Just as a note VM Motori is now 100% owned by FCA and no longer makes any Diesel motors for GM (Used to be a GM Fiat 50-50 joint venture).  The 2.8 Diesel that GM uses is manufactured in a GM facility in Thailand.  The new 2.8L motor in the Colorado/Canyon likely has some roots from the old VM Motori engine as GM would have retained the design rights for these motors. GM also has some roots with Izuzu in diesel motors and there was likely some influence from that as well.

Also a tidbit of information.  The 3.0 V6 diesel used in the Ram was originally designed for Cadillac but never used by GM.

Cool - thanks for the information - I did know about the Cadillac roots for the Ecodiesel, but thought VM Motori was still making both motors. While I did think it was odd that FCA would sell motors to GM, odder things have happened. The Honda V6 in the Saturn Vue comes to mind...