Author Topic: First Drive: 2016 Mercedes-Benz Metris  (Read 18754 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2016 Mercedes-Benz Metris
« on: October 14, 2015, 06:32:21 am »

Not too big. Not too small. Quite nice.
Read More...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2016 Mercedes-Benz Metris
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 08:15:50 am »
So I get that the cargo van is a thing, but what's the value of this as a 7 passenger cargo van? Seems like a lot of money compared to a fleet of Odysseys.

Is it just bigger esp 3rd row?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 08:32:03 am »
So I get that the cargo van is a thing, but what's the value of this as a 7 passenger cargo van? Seems like a lot of money compared to a fleet of Odysseys.

That was going to be my question.  Is there more passanger/cargo space with this new Metris?  If not I don't see the point in buying this over the other mini-vans on the market, that offer a bit better value/features.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 09:10:36 am »

I bet it's got a bigger third row. Ingress/egress to the third row looks better than most minivans.  Like the article said, it is more targeted to commercial vehicle applications (hotel shuttle as an example).

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 09:12:22 am »
I carted 8 blokes to a rugby tournament on the weekend in one of these, article coming shortly. There is WAY more space in the back then in a conventional minivan and the cargo area was still enough for all our kit bags. Egress was easier too.

Airport shuttles and the like, or hospice shuttles are a good fit for this rig.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 09:15:43 am »
I could see buying a van like this over a traditional minivan especially if some sort of 4x4 or awd is available. This is more like the Aerostar or Astro of old, a square, utilitarian van that fits lots of people and cargo.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 09:32:05 am »
I could see buying a van like this over a traditional minivan especially if some sort of 4x4 or awd is available. This is more like the Aerostar or Astro of old, a square, utilitarian van that fits lots of people and cargo.

Yep.  Only if they offer AWD.  Would be also nice if they offer a diesel.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 09:35:20 am »

This will also tow a lot better than all the FWD vans. I wonder where Rupert is to say that anything past a Caravan is a burgeois frivolity lol

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 09:39:30 am »

This will also tow a lot better than all the FWD vans. I wonder where Rupert is to say that anything past a Caravan is a burgeois frivolity lol

Agreed.  Lol.  Plus almost 5000lb towing capacity.

Most people I have seen towing with a FWD minivan are really overloading that transmission.  Maybe a small tent trailer with 4-5 people in the van, but no way are you towing a larger tent trailer with 7-8 people in the van.  And then the same people complain of transmission problems.  lol.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 09:43:42 am »
I've seen a lot of minivans going down the highway hugely overloaded by well meaning parents, yeah, big tent trailer, bike rack, 5 or 6 passengers, car top carrier, cargo on top of the trailer.....then a lot of posts on here on why their tranny lasts 3 to 4 oil changes ;D

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 11:04:20 am »

What market are they aiming for? I'd say (other than trades people), those with expensive SUVs, more cargo capacity, those wanting a higher brand name than the likes of Dodge are all potential customers. Given a top of the line Ford Explorer is past $50K mark, the Benz would be a consideration. The question that is unclear from the article (and I've not looked to see if there's an answer anywhere else) is whether the passenger seats are easily removable, or can sheet goods simply slide underneath (I think the Odyssey does that).

I certainly would like to see a larger diesel engine and AWD. I would assume this is rear-drive? Personally, I'd pick this over a Transit for the price differential.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 11:18:44 am »
The cargo vans we drove had one sliding door on the passenger side along with the optional 270-degree rear doors. But beware, the sliding door can hit the barn-style rear door when it is fully opened. There is a sticker on the door jam warning of this peril.
If MB is aware of the potential peril, why not address it beyond a mere sticker?  Would a bumper really be so hard to install?  This seems like a silly oversight to an otherwise exceptional niche product.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 11:29:15 am »

What market are they aiming for? I'd say (other than trades people), those with expensive SUVs, more cargo capacity, those wanting a higher brand name than the likes of Dodge are all potential customers. Given a top of the line Ford Explorer is past $50K mark, the Benz would be a consideration. The question that is unclear from the article (and I've not looked to see if there's an answer anywhere else) is whether the passenger seats are easily removable, or can sheet goods simply slide underneath (I think the Odyssey does that).

I certainly would like to see a larger diesel engine and AWD. I would assume this is rear-drive? Personally, I'd pick this over a Transit for the price differential.

I agree, even for a First Drive, I expect there to be some talk about how the seats fold and remove.  I know Jacobs article is coming soon.  Also very surprised that AWD isn't offered from the beginning.  I understand it's a niche market, but all the other vans that MB makes offer it, and I am sure the European market already has it.  I am sure I could handle this RWD in the winter, but my wife (and many others) have never driven RWD, and it is different.  If you drive a RWD vehicle like you do a FWD, you will easily ditch it when there is a lot of snow on the ground.  This vehicle does intrigue me though.  As I do like the tow capacity (beats any FWD van, and matches many 3rd row SUV's).  $1700 extra for an electric sliding door is a little much though.  Should be part of the luxury group, along with the leatherette. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 11:32:26 am »

Umm, didn't the article mention that the passenger version is aimed at the shuttle industry?

BTW, only the older Odyssey allowed the sheets to slide underneath.

The Transit is larger than the Metris and more in line with the Sprinter.  If you mean Transit Connect, then the Metris is larger.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 11:44:45 am »
The 1999-04 Odyssey in particular. This is probably important to the contractors who may consider the cargo version of this van but I have only carried an 8'x4' sheet of drywall once, in my old Mazda 5, diagonally and sticking out up to 30" out the back.

The passenger area looks spacious and comfortable enough and the cargo area looks big:

Of course, you get 2500lb payload vs. 1100lb in most minivans, and 4900lb towing capacity. I would definitely consider this van. I myself prefer the Euro vans over the North American market minivans. 

Oh, even though the auto climate control is only dual zone, it's nice to see it arranged in a front/rear configuration rather than a driver side/passenger side configuration:

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 12:39:25 pm »
I'm interested in these things for another reason.  My plan for a few-years from now (not that many .. when the kids are old enough to stay home alone and I'm retired) is for my wife and I to go on the classic cross-canada all-summer-long road-trip, camping along the way.  Instead of trying to by a used (ancient) VW van - I was thinking it might be possible to buy a small delivery-van and convert it.  I know this is popular in Europe with lots of kits available for the Ford Transit Connect. 

So, I'll be interested to see how this one .. with a little more oomph in the engine dept than most, holds up after a couple of years, when I'll be wanting to purchase a used-something-or-other.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 01:32:47 pm »
http://sprinterlife.com/our-home

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a good used Sprinter cargo van for cheap that I can build out.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 01:46:53 pm »
http://sprinterlife.com/our-home

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a good used Sprinter cargo van for cheap that I can build out.
Yeah, I think I'm doing life wrong when I see people doing that.  I could stop working now, buy out that van, and likely live for the next 20 years out of that thing.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 02:02:21 pm »
I don't get the configuration considering this thing is commercial and meant for longer mileage.

Independent RWD, yet it's design to carry heavier loads and further non diesel turbo ? Non diesel turbo's aren't known for longevity as the diesel variant considering the gasoline turbo RPM vs diesel variant.

Too many red flags for me if I was a fleet manager making buying decisions.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 02:15:47 pm »
The premise that the Sprinter was higher quality than the old school E-250 or Savanna/Express is interesting given the track record. They rusted and had myriad electrical and mechanical issues. They were more expensive though.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken