Author Topic: First Drive: 2016 Volkswagen Golf R  (Read 22417 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: First Drive: 2016 Volkswagen Golf R
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 10:15:44 am »
My only complaint with the Golf R is those wheels.   I wish VW Canada would offer wheel selection of other markets.   Specifically, these ones:

I would be selling the stockers and replacing with some nice aftermarkets.

This is a common complaint.  There are a lot of people choosing after market rims.  I'm okay with the wheels they come with because they're not crazy ugly (like some of the older GTI's), they are fairly light for 19's (I think i've read around 24 pounds per without tire), and for me fairly easy to clean.  There are loads of options in the after market and there's demand for the stock rims.

I kind of wish we would have gotten 18's instead of 19's as the ride would be a bit better and replacement rubber would be slightly cheaper. 

I've been playing around with the idea of plastidipping the stock rims myself, I've seen pictures of them painted in other colors that improve the appearance a bit.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 10:40:34 am »
My only complaint with the Golf R is those wheels.   I wish VW Canada would offer wheel selection of other markets.   Specifically, these ones:

This is a common complaint.  There are a lot of people choosing after market rims.  I'm okay with the wheels they come with because they're not crazy ugly (like some of the older GTI's), they are fairly light for 19's (I think i've read around 24 pounds per without tire), and for me fairly easy to clean.  There are loads of options in the after market and there's demand for the stock rims.

I kind of wish we would have gotten 18's instead of 19's as the ride would be a bit better and replacement rubber would be slightly cheaper. 

I've been playing around with the idea of plastidipping the stock rims myself, I've seen pictures of them painted in other colors that improve the appearance a bit.

I think 18s would looks just fine on the Golf R (it's not a huge car).   Sell the stockers and buy a nice light set of 18" OZ's or something.   I recall another forum member swapping out the standard 18" wheels on his GTI for 17" OZ wheels.

Car wheels in general are starting to get a little comically big to my eyes.   (e.g. 20" wheels as standard on some sports cars)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 10:45:30 am »

I think 18s would looks just fine on the Golf R (it's not a huge car).   Sell the stockers and buy a nice light set of 18" OZ's or something.   I recall another forum member swapping out the standard 18" wheels on his GTI for 17" OZ wheels.

Car wheels in general are starting to get a little comically big to my eyes.   (e.g. 20" wheels as standard on some sports cars)
Too much of a hassle.  I also kind of believe (probably not correct in this thinking) that stock alloys are built a bit stronger than a lot of after market rims.  I don't want to deal with bent/cracked rims.  I did opt for a tire and rim warranty coverage for 5 years because I've heard these rims cost roughly $750 a piece to replace, add a tire and you're over $1,000.  I think it was $550 well spent for the piece of mind (plus the coverage applies to my VW winter rims and tires).

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 10:59:03 am »
Too much of a hassle.  I also kind of believe (probably not correct in this thinking) that stock alloys are built a bit stronger than a lot of after market rims.  I don't want to deal with bent/cracked rims.  I did opt for a tire and rim warranty coverage for 5 years because I've heard these rims cost roughly $750 a piece to replace, add a tire and you're over $1,000.  I think it was $550 well spent for the piece of mind (plus the coverage applies to my VW winter rims and tires).

:rofl2:

VW pricing rims like Porsche I see?   Those prices are ridiculous.  You can source BBS' top rims for cheaper than that.  If VW charges that much, you SHOULD sell them.  Ask $500/rim, 33% off!!

Anyway, I hear you.  Nothing wrong with sticking with the stockers and saving yourself the trouble.   It's a sweet ride as is.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 11:15:26 am »

Somewhat true.  Just don't buy cheap wheels (I.e. Rota).  If you buy a decent make like OZ, BBS, Enkei, you'll be fine.  One of the ultimate manufacturers is Rays, buy you pay dearly for their wheels (branded under Volk, Gram Lights, etc).

The key is some manufacturers claim their wheels are forged, but they use a forged blank which is machined.  This is crap as the grain of the metal may not be in the right orientation to give proper strength.  Rays wheels are forged into the shape.

Offline life851

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 09 Cobalt SS/TC
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 11:46:28 am »
...That small fractional slice where the limits of the GTI are exceeded but those of the R still hold are not likely to be something I frequently (if ever) experience and definitely not on public roads.

Not knocking the R - I think it's cool as hell and I don't doubt its owners are, or will be, well pleased.

For me, stepping up from the GTI would not be about the car at the limits, but more about the extra power, torque and control (AWD) available on a day to day basis.  (At least, that's how I'd justify it to my wife.) Yes, one could rev the GTI a bit longer or drop down two gears instead of one, but you could probably make the same argument for the TSI vs. GTI. Just saying that the difference isn't necessarily just about the tenths of a second at the track.

Now, how about a Golf R vs STI comparison...

The GTI is a wonderful car..."with the performance pack" Real LSD...
I do track too, but coming from a FWD Car.. with a Real LSD and.. 290hp/320ftlbs..
you are limited with a FWD setup.. unless you go all out and have a strictly "track car"

I decided time for an upgrade... Drove the Focus ST, WRX, GTI...
All great cars..
ST is a great car, wasn't a fan of the interior.. It's leagues better than my cobalt.. I just didn't feel like it was an upgrade + elsd...
WRX excellent car, felt like my cobalt "budget inside" to many screens too looked tacky.. but excellent grip, nice engine.. :censor: brakes
GTI amazing engine and ride... excellent pedal feel "Didn't get a chance to actually try the brakes out hard enough"

At the end of the day... it came down to all still FWD, expect WRX.. but that was underpowered...
I'm sick of coming home, not being able to get up my drive way "so AWD is a must"
I don't live in the City..

But if your in the market for a new car, and you have a 30k budget get the WRX..

So the next stage... Focus RS, Subaru WRX STI and Golf R

Didn't care for the Golf R..
Sti Old engine...
Wanted the Focus RS.. now that's a beauty... until they announced the CDN pricing.. I just laughed... sure all pay 47K for a Ford Ecobox.. meanwhile I could get the m235i X-drive for 1k more.. or the CLA45 AMG for 3k more LOL

Should have been slotted between the Sti and Golf R, like in the states...I don't care for sunroofs, car covers, Pilot Sports Cup 2.. "Since I'm going to track it, I'm going to have another set of rims and tires anyways"

So then I was left with the STI, great car.. wasn't to pleased it had a 100 year old engine.. great brakes "needs better pads though", great drivetrain "REAL mechanical grip", horrible mileage, seats are blah...
Was about to put a deposit on one... But started to look at the options... wait no boy racer spoiler?! Unless I spend 2k for the next model... wait?! 6 speakers in a 37k car... unless I spend another 2k?! for a H/K system.. which is decent
US Base model.. has spoiler/led low beams.. can also get the option of h/k and keyless entry

So I took a step back... might as well check out the Golf R... got a price YIKES!!! Granted you get more options than the STI.. but that's in the 3k premium.. and a 5.9% Lease Rate doesn't help..
It was approx. $140/Month extra...
Thought it over for a few days, and said car is not worth $140 extra per month...
Even though, I get an Audi interior, Bi-Xenon Lights with Steering and Height Adjustments "would be nice, because the quickest way to the gym from my house is a backroad.. that's all curves and zero lights".. Great sound system.. and the new 2016's can play FLAC files!! I know you won't hear the difference in the car, but it would be nice not having to convert to mp3's..
Hatch would be handy, so would keyless entry and a built in nav...

So right before I was about to go pickup the STI.. VW Diesel crap happened... I emailed my sales rep at vw.. and said hey I know all this crap Is going on.. and there is a stop/sale on all diesels etc..

I said and any change, in the rates.. he said nothing... but I'm sure we can work with you.. as 35% of our business is diesels... a day later I get a call from the manager..
Price is now only $65 more per month than the STI!!!
Considering, I drive about 80-100km's a day.. I will make that up in gas mileage alone! Compared to the STI

It was a no brainer.. so I ordered a Silver Golf R 6-Speed "No tech"
Like others have mentioned, don't care for all that safety jazz lol
DSG is great.. but not for me... and the clutch is so light anyways.. so the odd time I'm stuck in traffic driving out of the city.... I can mange.. since I'm doing it with my 10lb clutch now anways lol

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 11:54:35 am »

:rofl2:

VW pricing rims like Porsche I see?   Those prices are ridiculous.  You can source BBS' top rims for cheaper than that.  If VW charges that much, you SHOULD sell them.  Ask $500/rim, 33% off!!

Anyway, I hear you.  Nothing wrong with sticking with the stockers and saving yourself the trouble.   It's a sweet ride as is.

Aftermarket rims on a late model car almost always does significant damage to its trade-in value. No problem if you know you'll keep it forever. The problem is that people like to buy their own mods. In my experience, aftermarket rims on late model vehicles makes them less attractive to buyers. If asked, I would always advise keeping the factory wheels if the car is less than five years old.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2015, 12:09:07 pm »
Aftermarket rims on a late model car almost always does significant damage to its trade-in value. No problem if you know you'll keep it forever. The problem is that people like to buy their own mods. In my experience, aftermarket rims on late model vehicles makes them less attractive to buyers. If asked, I would always advise keeping the factory wheels if the car is less than five years old.

I'm always skeptical when I see a used car that doesn't include the stock wheels for sale.

Offline life851

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 09 Cobalt SS/TC
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2015, 12:17:00 pm »
No big deal. There's always a big market and you can sell your used aftermarket rims when you sell your car. Just keep the stockers.

If I bought a Golf R the first thing I'd do after tints would be to put winters on the stock rims and buy some black OZ ultraleggeras.

I'm doing 17's for Winters..225/45/17.. maybe a bit narrower...
Got to get a set of summers will be 245/40/18 "as long as the 245 sits flush with fender" I don't like that stupid wide tire look, if not will get 235/40/18... on lightweight wheels.. and sticky rub.. either RE71R Bridgestone or RS3 Hankooks.. or maybe something else when next season stars..
Going to keep the Ugly 19's... for Road Trips.. and depending on traction.. spring/fall..
At least when I give the car back in 4 years the 19's will be an excellent condition still, so I won't have to worry about tread  :D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 12:19:51 pm »
To me, the R is a no-brainer over the GTI, but I am disappointed that there's no moonroof in the R...I didn't know that until Johnny pointed it out.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 12:28:37 pm »
life851 - did you happen to get an insurance quote?  The reason I ask is there was a major difference in premium for my Golf R and the WRX STi, we're talking $100 per month difference.

Also the Ford RS's price here in Canada included the winter tires and rims, so you should have factored that into your decision (not sure if you can get a insurance quote).

I took a trip a couple of weekends ago on a 3 hour highway/secondary road (averaged at least 100 km/hr) and the round trip fuel economy was 7.3l/100 km.  Not sure what an STi would get but I'm guessing it would have probably been a couple liters more per 100 kms.  My mostly city driving average is around 8.7l/100 km so that's not too bad either.

The Golf R might not be for everyone, it's not as hard core as the STi, won't be as fast as the Focus RS more than likely, but there's a lot of value when you factor in all expenses.  Plus it's a much better place to be in everyday driving.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 12:39:32 pm »

It was a no brainer.. so I ordered a Silver Golf R 6-Speed "No tech"

Congrats on the awesome deal. I enjoyed reading your purchase story - between discounted Golf R's and $7k off Passat CC's, seems like there's never been a better time to buy a [non-diesel] VW.

To me, the R is a no-brainer over the GTI, but I am disappointed that there's no moonroof in the R...I didn't know that until Johnny pointed it out.

Me too - was very surprised to read the Golf R didn't offer it standard.

Re: wheel sizes - aesthetics aside, i'm firmly in the camp that any diameter above 18-inches on a non-SUV is just silly. Aesthetics are one thing - we're all vain - but correct if i'm wrong, beyond 18 inches there doesn't seem to be any performance benefit without an equal or greater drawback, especially when you consider that even a Porsche 991 Cup Car, to pick one example, runs on 18's.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:45:43 pm by lebowski »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2015, 12:42:46 pm »

I think the 2017 model will be coming with a sunroof.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 12:43:17 pm »
No big deal. There's always a big market and you can sell your used aftermarket rims when you sell your car. Just keep the stockers.

If I bought a Golf R the first thing I'd do after tints would be to put winters on the stock rims and buy some black OZ ultraleggeras.

Agree with the ultraleggeras.   But wouldn't 19" winters be pretty ridiculous on a Golf?   I'd rock 17s in winter on such a compact car.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 12:50:09 pm »

Agree with the ultraleggeras.   But wouldn't 19" winters be pretty ridiculous on a Golf?   I'd rock 17s in winter on such a compact car.

Mine are 17's, which is as small as you can go (not all 17's will fit either as the brakes are rather large).  If you're going with 19" winter tires, you're automatically going for LOW profile because there really isn't much room between tires and wheel wells.  I'll post some pictures of my winter tires and rims in a few weeks (I'll be getting them put on begining of November).

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2015, 12:55:58 pm »

I think the 2017 model will be coming with a sunroof.

This might be true.  There are Golf R's with sunroofs in other countries.  From my understanding our R's are being built beside the Golf E (electric Golf) and stealing those bodies.  Canadians were one of/if not the first country to get 2016 Golf R's so I don't mind them sacrificing a option I don't care about to get them to us a bit early.  Apparently the first 1,200 Golf R's were pre-sold here and some dealers are stating they can't take orders until 2016.  So there's some major demand.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2015, 01:17:52 pm »
My understanding is that if/when Golf R production moves to Mexico, we'll get a sunroof.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2015, 01:27:57 pm »
My understanding is that if/when Golf R production moves to Mexico, we'll get a sunroof.
That's my understanding as well.  Call me old school but I prefer my German brand car made in Germany.  I know Mexico is completely capable of putting together this vehicle and there are loads of parts being made all over the world, but I like being able to smuggly say mine was made in Germany.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 01:30:20 pm »
Hmm. VW dealers willing to deal on a new R? And it might be my last chance to get one without a sunroof?

Might have to swing by my local dealer to have a chat. But I'd still have a 2010 GTI to get rid of. Resale has probably taken a hit, too, which would offset any savings to be had on a new one.  :-\

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 01:41:17 pm »
That's my understanding as well.  Call me old school but I prefer my German brand car made in Germany.  I know Mexico is completely capable of putting together this vehicle and there are loads of parts being made all over the world, but I like being able to smuggly say mine was made in Germany.

Meh, personally I couldn't care less.