Author Topic: First Drive: 2016 Volkswagen Golf R  (Read 22422 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2016 Volkswagen Golf R
« on: October 08, 2015, 07:16:07 am »

VW ups its weekend track-warrior game.
Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: First Drive: 2016 Volkswagen Golf R
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 07:51:00 am »
"Volkswagen’s “driver profile selection” provides four drive modes (comfort, normal, sport, and race) that work on the throttle and transmission"

There's no sport mode, it's comfort, normal, race, and individual. 

Another reason why some will choose the GTI over the R is the lack of sunroof option on the R and to a lesser extent maybe the unlocked center arm rest.

Not a fan of this car in red.  It just seems too GTI to me.  The Silver washes out the R accents (I guess good if you want the most "sleeper" appearance), and with the Black you lose the contrasting mirrors, rear trim pieces on back window, and the shark fin antenna on roof.  So for me it's basically the two white options or the signature blue.

Personally I thought the extra cost over the GTI performance pack is well worth it, if only for the added HP and AWD.  I like that it's a bit less boy racer looking than the GTI and I'm one of the few who like not having a sunroof.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 08:07:17 am »
This is a terrific ride for sure.  For me, the question would be how much more fun is it to drive than the GTI - which I found to be pretty much of a blast.  Assuming I never get on a track (safe assumption, since I never have) I kind of have my doubts that I would perceive a value benefit in the step up to the R.  Now, if cost is no object then by all means - put the top dog in your driveway.  But the GTI has plenty enough power for you to jeopardize your license on city streets, and nimble enough handling to place a grin on your face the whole time.  That small fractional slice where the limits of the GTI are exceeded but those of the R still hold are not likely to be something I frequently (if ever) experience and definitely not on public roads.

Not knocking the R - I think it's cool as hell and I don't doubt its owners are, or will be, well pleased.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 08:11:02 am »
This is a terrific ride for sure.  For me, the question would be how much more fun is it to drive than the GTI - which I found to be pretty much of a blast.  Assuming I never get on a track (safe assumption, since I never have) I kind of have my doubts that I would perceive a value benefit in the step up to the R. Now, if cost is no object then by all means - put the top dog in your driveway.  But the GTI has plenty enough power for you to jeopardize your license on city streets, and nimble enough handling to place a grin on your face the whole time.  That small fractional slice where the limits of the GTI are exceeded but those of the R still hold are not likely to be something I frequently (if ever) experience and definitely not on public roads.

Not knocking the R - I think it's cool as hell and I don't doubt its owners are, or will be, well pleased.

For me it would be for the AWD. With my GTI its so easy to break traction and I do very often and that is on dry roads. Once the roads get wet and cold it only gets worse.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 08:44:02 am »
one odd thing i noticed in the photos, is the 2nd last picture in the top group of photos shows the 6 speed manual transmission shifter handle...just to the right of the shift is the bottom part of the centre stack, and it shows 4MOTION in it, however it is inverted (like someone lifted the trim, flipped it around, and stuck it back on)...i thought perhaps it was just a camera thing, but there is text elsewhere on buttons that is normal.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 08:51:58 am »
one odd thing i noticed in the photos, is the 2nd last picture in the top group of photos shows the 6 speed manual transmission shifter handle...just to the right of the shift is the bottom part of the centre stack, and it shows 4MOTION in it, however it is inverted (like someone lifted the trim, flipped it around, and stuck it back on)...i thought perhaps it was just a camera thing, but there is text elsewhere on buttons that is normal.

I think its a reflection.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 08:55:04 am »
Yes it's a reflection.  Some of the more hard core Golf R/R32 owners are complaining that there is red in the 4Motion badge.  To them everything should be either blue or silver (I guess on previous models that was the case).  Just noticed the picture above doesn't have red in the 4Motion badge, I think that might be from the R400 concept car.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:07:36 am by JohnnyMac »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 08:59:20 am »
Isn't nav standard on the R as well?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 09:04:56 am »
Yes Nav is standard.  Oh and the article mentions Android Auto and Apple Carplay, it also has Mirror link for those who have Blackberries and windows phones.  At least I think that's why that's there.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 09:35:27 am »
If navigation is standard then what's this nav in the Technology package?
Railton
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technology Package
$2,015.00
Adaptive Cruise Control
Blind spot detection plus heading control
Camera and/or distance sensor (driver assistance system)
Front Assist incl. city automatic emergency braking for ACC low
High radio (Gen2)
Navigation system - High
Park distance control, front and rear
Preparation for cell phone with WLAN (BT interface)
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 09:38:49 am »
...That small fractional slice where the limits of the GTI are exceeded but those of the R still hold are not likely to be something I frequently (if ever) experience and definitely not on public roads.

For me, stepping up from the GTI would not be about the car at the limits, but more about the extra power, torque and control (AWD) available on a day to day basis.  (At least, that's how I'd justify it to my wife.) Yes, one could rev the GTI a bit longer or drop down two gears instead of one, but you could probably make the same argument for the TSI vs. GTI. Just saying that the difference isn't necessarily just about the tenths of a second at the track.

Now, how about a Golf R vs STI comparison...
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 09:38:50 am »
Yes Nav is standard.  Oh and the article mentions Android Auto and Apple Carplay, it also has Mirror link for those who have Blackberries and windows phones.  At least I think that's why that's there.
Mirrorlink can be used with some Android phones to fully mirror the screen.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 10:00:43 am »
My only complaint with the Golf R is those wheels.   I wish VW Canada would offer wheel selection of other markets.   Specifically, these ones:

I would be selling the stockers and replacing with some nice aftermarkets. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 10:02:34 am »
This is true, but it's a crap program so why would you choose it over the Android Auto?  Hence why I assume it's for Blackberry and windows phones.

Offline CountOfGamble

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 10:04:18 am »
Railton
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technology Package
$2,015.00
Adaptive Cruise Control
High radio (Gen2)
Navigation system - High

6.5" Nav standard on the car. 8" Nav with WIFI and Google Maps optional in the Tech Package.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 10:05:12 am »
Railton
Technology Package
$2,015.00
Adaptive Cruise Control
High radio (Gen2)
Navigation system - High
The difference between the tech package and base model is the size of the screen and the interface might be slightly different (with slightly improved graphics for the maps on the tech package).  Personally I didn't go for the tech package simply because I didn't really want the added safety features (I find them a bit annoying, let me drive the damn car), and I'm cheap.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 10:07:07 am »
Railton
Technology Package
$2,015.00
Adaptive Cruise Control
High radio (Gen2)
Navigation system - High

6.5" Nav standard on the car. 8" Nav with WIFI and Google Maps optional in the Tech Package.
You can get Google maps with your phone through Apple Carplay or Android Auto (and probably mirror link too).  Not sure about the WIFI, that might only be a USA thing.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 10:08:23 am »
The difference between the tech package and base model is the size of the screen and the interface might be slightly different (with slightly improved graphics for the maps on the tech package).  Personally I didn't go for the tech package simply because I didn't really want the added safety features (I find them a bit annoying, let me drive the damn car), and I'm cheap.

Good choice.  I wouldn't want those "features" for free.   

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 10:09:54 am »
...That small fractional slice where the limits of the GTI are exceeded but those of the R still hold are not likely to be something I frequently (if ever) experience and definitely not on public roads.

For me, stepping up from the GTI would not be about the car at the limits, but more about the extra power, torque and control (AWD) available on a day to day basis.  (At least, that's how I'd justify it to my wife.) Yes, one could rev the GTI a bit longer or drop down two gears instead of one, but you could probably make the same argument for the TSI vs. GTI. Just saying that the difference isn't necessarily just about the tenths of a second at the track.

Now, how about a Golf R vs STI comparison...

I think an average person can feel the performance difference in everyday driving and definitely when the weather gets bad (which is close to 6 months here in the maritimes).  I totally get why some don't see the value or would choose the GTI.  It's an excellent vehicle and definitely enough performance to get the fizz on a back road.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:41:08 am by JohnnyMac »

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 10:10:46 am »
This is true, but it's a crap program so why would you choose it over the Android Auto?  Hence why I assume it's for Blackberry and windows phones.
I'm sure it will improve with time.  It offers more functionality than Android Auto or Apple Carplay as you aren't restricted as to what apps you can use.