Author Topic: Mitsubishi ends Lancer Evolution production with 'Final Edition' model  (Read 6249 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Special trim is no bargain
Read More...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Mitsubishi ends Lancer Evolution production with 'Final Edition' model
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 05:14:51 pm »
A sad end for a once great car.

Give me an Evo VI TME any day.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 03:08:28 pm »
Five-speed manual transmission  :rofl: Just in case anyone thought this was a "revised" model. More like a final kick of the can and parts bin blow out.

I had Recaro seats, Eibach springs and BBS rims back in my 1987 16V VW Sirocco.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:17:28 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 03:09:11 pm »
A sad end for a once great car.

Give me an Evo VI TME any day.

I agree 100%....obnoxious stickers and all!!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 03:16:16 pm »
  ^^
^^^^
"Based on the GSR Premium trim, the Final Edition will come with all of that car’s goodies–Brembo brakes, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, 18-inch BBS wheels, large (understatement of the year) rear spoiler, power sunroof, Recaro seats in leather/suede, 710-watt stereo, automatic xenon headlights, intelligent keyless entry, and rain-sensing wipers–plus a serial number plate on the console, a “Final Edition” animation in the trip computer display, and special badging."

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 03:50:10 pm »
  ^
 ^^
^^^
I've also read that they were getting 18-inch Enkei wheels on an other site, not BBS.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 04:52:26 pm »
Sad day indeed.

I don't think I've EVER seen a Canadian market Evolution before? Or if I had, it would have been a 50:1 STI:EVO ratio. 

Northernridge

I'm not feeling it. There are so many awesome performance cars now of every stripe...including hot small AWD cars (Golf R, STi, Focus R) that it's hard to care about the Evo disappearing.

The Evolution didn't get any so it's gone. Bye bye.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 06:05:17 pm »
Well, at least we won't hear too many more complaints about AYC pump failures in the future.  And a lot of those failures Mitsu wouldn't cover under warranty.

As far as I am concerned, these were cool cars, but way to fragile.  I'd buy a STi any day of the week over this car.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 06:11:31 pm »
Well, at least we won't hear too many more complaints about AYC pump failures in the future.  And a lot of those failures Mitsu wouldn't cover under warranty.

As far as I am concerned, these were cool cars, but way to fragile.  I'd buy a STi any day of the week over this car.

I'd still rather the Mits.  STis seems to blow up engines.  When I was shopping prior to the 911, of about 10 STis we looked at, about 5 of them had "new engines replacewd under warranty".  I'd rather replace the AYC than an engine.  FWIW, there's a simple AYC fix that relocates it to the trunk.  That's what I'd do.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 07:05:27 pm »

I'd still rather the Mits.  STis seems to blow up engines.  When I was shopping prior to the 911, of about 10 STis we looked at, about 5 of them had "new engines replacewd under warranty".  I'd rather replace the AYC than an engine.  FWIW, there's a simple AYC fix that relocates it to the trunk.  That's what I'd do.
Good point.  I forgot about the STi engines blowing up.

Oh well, there is always the Golf R and Focus RS.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 07:09:59 pm »

Scratch the Golf because of FGC Syndrome.  And the Focus RS sure is expensive!!!

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 07:42:08 pm »

Scratch the Golf because of FGC Syndrome.  And the Focus RS sure is expensive!!!
It is pricey, but similar to the Evo in price.  Oh well, here's hoping for a Mazdaspeed 3 with AWD.  While the Civic Type-R sounds awesome, the lack of AWD doesn't appeal to me.

Offline RaHorakhty

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Matrix
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 03:31:48 pm »
It's a sweet ride, I'm sure, but that's a lot of dough. For $51k (base MSRP) you can get a 300 hp 2015 BMW 335i (rwd), which I would have to go with if I was buying a $50 thousand sport sedan. Heck, if I really wanted the all wheel drive, I'm sure I could go up another $3k to get the xDrive. But, that's assuming BMW Canada still has 2015s, they're selling the 2016s already, but they cost more.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 05:42:47 pm »
There are a few 2015 335i models still in stock, but the 2016 340i hit the dealerships a few weeks ago.

The thing about the Evo is that it is just huge overkill for most drivers, who don't need a road-legal rally car. These cars date from when having 300+ hp in a reasonably affordable four-door sedan was pretty much revolutionary. Now almost every manufacturer has a car for a similar price with as much or more power but massively more refinement, equipment, etc. The Evo would destroy every one of them on a gravel rally course, but 99.9% of potential buyers don't care.

It's a sweet ride, I'm sure, but that's a lot of dough. For $51k (base MSRP) you can get a 300 hp 2015 BMW 335i (rwd), which I would have to go with if I was buying a $50 thousand sport sedan. Heck, if I really wanted the all wheel drive, I'm sure I could go up another $3k to get the xDrive. But, that's assuming BMW Canada still has 2015s, they're selling the 2016s already, but they cost more.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 06:21:51 pm »
Finally EVOLUTION has ceased.....<phew> I was developing BUG EYES and a DONKEY
W**G........i'll keep the later............. :run:
Time is to stop everything happening at once