Author Topic: TESLA Model Y  (Read 62749 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
Re: TESLA Model Y
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2020, 06:50:21 pm »
Sorry to derail this thread by going off subject but Model Y price just got lowered in Canada to $69,900.  If it was selling like hotcakes I doubt Tesla would lower the price now?

Sorry for the interruption, let’s go back to Mustangs, beer, pies and bikes.  ;D
Probably trying to lose more money. :)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2020, 09:43:10 pm »
Sorry to derail this thread by going off subject but Model Y price just got lowered in Canada to $69,900.  If it was selling like hotcakes I doubt Tesla would lower the price now?

Sorry for the interruption, let’s go back to Mustangs, beer, pies and bikes.  ;D

You forgot power tools and tanks.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2020, 08:36:58 am »

You forgot power tools and tanks.

Is Model Y & Mustang Mach-e in the same Twit acceptable?  ;D
https://twitter.com/Simotaneously/status/1281763964741984257?s=20
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:38:47 am by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1197
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2020, 01:25:10 pm »
They seem to be pretty close in size.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +314/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2020, 01:59:29 pm »
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/07/11/tesla-model-y-price-drops-cost-of-ownership-vs-lexus-rx/

Price drop puts Model Y in competitive position on 5 year cost of ownership.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2020, 11:45:40 pm »
From the article... Did you write it SE?

"They go back to Lexus because they’re familiar with Lexus. They have a notion in their heads about Lexus being a great brand that they acquired years ago, without the taste of Tesla to put it in context. Now, as for anyone who goes and test drives a Tesla Model Y and a Lexus RX and chooses a Lexus RX — that person, if they exist, baffles me."

ROFL.

They choose the Lexus because it's truly a luxury vehicle whereas the Model Y is not. The Lexus has impeccable build quality and materials, a scrumptious interior and segment leading reliability. The Tesla does not. So price being equal...why not go for the more luxurious, quality vehicle?

Also, the fine print. Based on average price gallon of gas of $3. That hasn't been the price of gas since Q4 2014. So that's a big assumption. And results in a difference of roughly $2000 over 5 years if using current/recent averages (give or take). Electricity assumed at 13 cents kwh. Current pricing is 13.28 average cost USA. Not a huge difference..but different nonetheless. And $6900 US for maintenance? That's $1380 per year.  That's nearly $10k CDN or $2k per year! Based on what? 

I'd say a closer look at the methodology is required.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 12:10:12 am by rrocket »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2020, 07:31:26 am »
Really that much  :o
In my 9 year old truck , 2 oil changes a year , $150 , a complete set of brakes $1500, some Air filters , and had the front bearings done $800 , and tires $1100

In the 7 year old RX 350 , it been has been  oil changes, air filter and tires

They must been using the dealers schedule , they did a inspection , that will be $500 please  :rofl2:

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2020, 08:52:49 am »
I didnt read the article in detail because the comparison to RX is ridiculous. Compare RX to Model X.

Maybe NX or UX.

Also comparison of model 3 to IS is fair but not ES.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2020, 12:17:20 pm »
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-consumer-reports-review/

“It’s like it took all the good things about the Model 3, it kept them…but it took some of the bad things…and made them better… It’s an improved Model 3, if you think about it that way.”

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2020, 07:13:33 pm »
Tesla Model Y heat pump design is incredibly flexible:

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=49398&flag=1

as noted at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/4738313/

08.06.01 Electric cabin heater
The heater unit incorporating a variable speed electric fan is located in the front of the chassis tub with ducting directing the blown air to defrosting, face level and floor level vents in the passenger compartment.

The heater element is of the heat pump, drawing HV electrical energy from the battery pack High Voltage.

Tesla Model Y’s heat pump reduces the energy required by the HVAC system in both heating and cooling scenarios. The energy required to heat the cabin varies by weather and occupant comfort needs, but on-average consumes approximately 10% of the total energy available for driving. However, even moderately cold weather (0°C), consumption can increase to 25% or more. A heat pump consumes a small amount of electrical energy to thermodynamically “upgrade” low-temperature (less useful) thermal energy to higher-temperature (more useful) thermal energy, making it suitable for occupant comfort. That is, for a given electrical power input, a heat pump will return 1 to 5x in useful heating power; an electrical cabin heater provides 1:1 in heating power, and therefore is far less efficient.

Typically, this is accomplished using conventional refrigeration system components, e.g., compressors, valves, heat exchangers and so on, configured or connected together in a specific way. Tesla’s heat pump uses conventional components with unconventional flexibility or cycle configuration. A heat pump must generally have a low-temperature source from which to draw energy. Tesla’s system enables the heat pump source to be either the power-train coolant loop, e.g., low-temperature waste heat produced naturally by the vehicle while driving, ambient air, the battery thermal mass, the cabin thermal mass, or combinations thereof. Another advantage of this architecture is the ability to reject heat into the battery pack via a liquid-cooled condenser for a limited amount of time during cabin cooling scenarios when the temperature of the battery is modest. Therefore, for most startups with AC on, the relatively cool, well- coupled, large thermal mass serves to lower discharge pressure and therefore reduces compressor input power relative to a conventional air-cooled condenser setup.

Modern automotive heat pump systems using an HFC/HFO refrigerant suffer from low heating capacity in extremely cold ambient conditions, e.g., minus 10°C and below. Therefore, these conventional systems retain an expensive high-voltage cabin heater to cover heating deficits whenever the heat pump capacity is insufficient. Tesla’s heat pump system also provides ways to remove a cabin air high voltage PTC heater completely by using the compressor as an electrical heater in specific scenarios. In fact, the electrical power draw capability of the compressor significantly exceeds a typical HV cabin PTC heater capability. This last point is accomplished via Tesla’s unique architecture – the cycle is configured in such a way to provide a controlled environment for the compressor, regardless of ambient conditions, and ultimately unlocks the full electrical input power. Therefore, Tesla’s thermal system can sometimes operate like a heat pump (heat efficiently) and sometimes like an electrical heater when heat pump capacity is not sufficient for comfort – using the same compressor.

^ very interesting, on extremely hot days, Tesla heat pump enables very quick response (cold air sooner) for air conditioning via using relatively cooler battery thermal mass at startup, and then switches to outside air afterwards.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2020, 08:19:44 pm »
As an HVAC technologist, that system tickles my feathers. Batteries seem to need cooling, that's perfect waste heat for the cabin. I imagine there's a limit to prevent the batteries from being overcooled.

The problem with heat pumps is that the coils freeze over. I know Mitsubishi Electric and others have developed technologies to make the heat pumps work down to -25 but I think it involves injecting heat into the system which is electricity at a straight 1:1 ratio, but you're still achieving an average COP of roughly 2 at those extreme temperatures. The best COP in heating mode I've seen is 3.93, but that's when it's not too cold outside.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2020, 09:12:38 pm »
The problem with heat pumps is that the coils freeze over

Yes, and the article explained

Tesla’s heat pump system also provides ways to remove a cabin air high voltage PTC heater completely by using the compressor as an electrical heater in specific scenarios. In fact, the electrical power draw capability of the compressor significantly exceeds a typical HV cabin PTC heater capability. This last point is accomplished via Tesla’s unique architecture – the cycle is configured in such a way to provide a controlled environment for the compressor, regardless of ambient conditions, and ultimately unlocks the full electrical input power.

^ Tesla uses the compressor motor in a special mode that produces waste thermal heat, this operates with the same efficiency as an external resistive heater, but without the need to have two different systems.   Ingenious.

My home heat pump system (waiting for post-COVID for install) provides heat to -15C and then is no longer useful, so the colder days will be supplemented by gas, which is a typical design, whereas Tesla have gone next level in simplicity.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #132 on: July 19, 2020, 09:25:15 pm »
You need to look at Mitusbishi Hyper Heat or Samsung Max Heat splits.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2020, 10:40:41 am »
You need to look at Mitusbishi Hyper Heat or Samsung Max Heat splits.

Spring 2019, I picked the Panasonic Nordic XE ductless mini split combo based on its heating (HSPF) efficiency and its low operating temp (-26C) & its indoor operating (fan) low noise level.
Sure, at very cold temperature, the electric baseboards have to turn on in basement & first level, as complement to the heat pump.
https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=96881.msg1453942#msg1453942
https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=101003.msg1432772#msg1432772

Uneasy to tell the real efficiency below -8.3C / 17F reading the pdf brochure 
COP W/W : 4.26 (5.93 ~ 3.20)
https://www.descair.ca/~/media/Files/Descair/espace%20concessionnaire/Panasonic-docs/nordic_xe_EN.pdf?la=en
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 11:00:05 am by me_2 »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2020, 05:28:57 pm »
https://electrek.co/2020/07/22/tesla-pictures-model-y-production-line-gigafactory-shanghai/

pictures from inside the buildings where it is deploying the new Model Y production lines

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2020, 05:14:16 pm »
How will Tesla rivals top this?
Model Y crossover teardown shows just how high the bar has been set for EV innovation

https://leandesign.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/08.03.20-AN-Digital.pdf

Other EVs use heat pumps, but Munro said
the introduction of the Octovalve makes the
Model Y’s heating, ventilation and air-conditioning system different from anything he’s
ever seen in a car and looks more like something from the aerospace industry.
“It’s going to be a long, long time,” Munro
said, “before somebody catches up to it.”

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 09, 2020, 06:26:41 pm »
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-y-owners-have-found-home-depot-:censor:-used-to-1844999285

I find this odd to the extreme!!

There are cheap plastic parts made for precisely this!  We use them here at work to hold steel blocks many times the weight of a Tesla battery pack!

WTF??

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 09, 2020, 08:17:44 pm »
Always keep an eye on your competition...

https://electrek.co/2020/09/08/vw-ceo-tesla-model-y-reference-car/
"VW CEO Hebert Diess revealed that after having Elon Musk test drive the ID.3, he himself test-drove the Tesla Model Y, which he says is a “reference” car for the German automaker."

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2020, 08:59:26 pm »
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-y-owners-have-found-home-depot-:censor:-used-to-1844999285

I find this odd to the extreme!!

There are cheap plastic parts made for precisely this!  We use them here at work to hold steel blocks many times the weight of a Tesla battery pack!

WTF??

Thats bonkers.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 09, 2020, 09:00:42 pm »
tesla-model-y-owners-have-found-home-depot-:censor:-used-to-1844999285

LOL.
Original thread:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/found-this-little-gem-on-my-55k-model-y.205922/

Quote from fellow owner:
jb401 said: ↑
Media traction on this post is insane! It's Tesla hate bait.
Look - IDGAF if the whole effing thing is made of MDF particle board. Best car I ever owned: hold my three kids, my dog and all their sh*t. Rips when you hit the right pedal, stops very hard, corners...ok and looks decent. This car is a deal for $60k and will be unstoppable below that.

Quote from owner who found this :
Completely agree, particularly when the car is properly assembled.

And finally the awesome Quote from owner who found this :

Ha! The Tesla shorts would see it try to buy up all the corner molding.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 09:05:31 pm by Smart Electric »