Author Topic: UAW members turn down Fiat Chrysler tentative agreement, move a step closer to strike position  (Read 17632 times)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
If the minimum wage goes up from $11.00 to $15.00 (36% increase), should the people already making $15.00 get a raise to $20.40 (36% increase)? Or do they just become minimum wage earners?
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
If the minimum wage goes up from $11.00 to $15.00 (36% increase), should the people already making $15.00 get a raise to $20.40 (36% increase)? Or do they just become minimum wage earners?

VERY good question, although I think we both know the answer to that question.  It might be mandated that min wage is increased, but no increase to those already making above it.  Great point Cord. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata

Does it matter if they don't?  "Minimum wage earners" - sounds like you're giving it a negative connotation.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile

Does it matter if they don't?  "Minimum wage earners" - sounds like you're giving it a negative connotation.

Only if you're a politically correct ballwasher...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Of course it could matter. If you received raises because of good job performance to move up to $15 from the starting point of $11, it's not hard to imagine some bitter feelings if suddenly everybody makes what you make.

Only you can determine what "minimum wage earners" sounds like. I meant it as a clear factual statement - those that earn the lowest possible wage.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
^ Agreed.  Good way to demoralize the staff that earned it in the first place. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:58:14 pm by CanuckS2K »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Minimum wages have never had an rules about raising other wages accordingly.  So, it's up to individual companies.  When we raised the wage in the past, what happened to the people that weren't earning minimum wage and now were?  What happened to the people earning above minimum wage?

Minimum wages have been raised recently in some places in the US.  What has been the consequences?  Earthquakes and the sky falling?

I will agree though that I feel it's not the most effective policy for alleviating poverty.  The poorest people usually aren't working.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Minimum wages have never had an rules about raising other wages accordingly.  So, it's up to individual companies.  When we raised the wage in the past, what happened to the people that weren't earning minimum wage and now were?  What happened to the people earning above minimum wage?

Well, of course there are no rules about it. But it is a foreseeable consequence. And one that is never admitted to by those that promote raising minimum wages by large increments. I have read a lot about how minimum wage only really affects a small portion of the work force so the increased cost will be minimal. But what about the added costs to companies when every wage strata now wants a raise to maintain relative wages? The dollar costs or the morale costs? Never even mentioned as a possibility.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:43:19 pm by Cord »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
There's a lot of data showing that raising the minimum wage stimulates the economy. Over a longer timeframe wages end up adjusted upwards for everyone.

But it can't happen without ditching free trade with countries with extremely low wages, no environmental or labour laws.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
There's a lot of data showing that raising the minimum wage stimulates the economy. Over a longer timeframe wages end up adjusted upwards for everyone.

But it can't happen without ditching free trade with countries with extremely low wages, no environmental or labour laws.

Which, in a world that includes the WTO and things like TPP is unlikely to happen. Even if Canada tried to roll back agreements now, we'd likely get smacked down at the WTO.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary

Which, in a world that includes the WTO and things like TPP is unlikely to happen. Even if Canada tried to roll back agreements now, we'd likely get smacked down at the WTO.

The WTO is in a bit of a mess at the moment anyway. It wouldn't take much to cause it to fray completely. It's been basically hijacked by objectivists. Probably time to detonate it.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
raising minimum wage definitely stimulates the economy... all of a sudden a bunch of people who now would make 15/hr will come to me to finance a laramie ram 1500 for 8 years and nothing down... and now, they'll get approved, since they live at the parents and have no rent....

super! at least i'll make more and not do goofy crap with it.

that type of finance "growth" is just like a pyramid scheme... eventually it topples. plus, if everyone's wages (not just minimum) jump, so will prices... no real growth happens.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Northernridge

My view is simply that anyone working full-time deserves to have the basics covered. I'd be happy to see their income elevated, adjusted for regional differences, to achieve this. Despite my generally conservative position on economic issues, I think it's shameful to have poverty levels that we do in a developed country like Canada. We can afford, if we choose, to ensure that no one has to freeze their ass off out in the cold while going hungry in this country. Probably would cost us less than healthcare, policing, incarceration, etc. that we're paying now. Think hand-up not hand-out...except for the most destitute.

As for people who are making thirty-something grand a year who'd have their noses out of joint if low income earners received a salary boost, I say try harder for goodness sake, is that the best you've got? Quit whining! ...conservative, remember?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
FCA to strike Wednesday..
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2015, 06:00:17 pm »
UAW Fiat-Chrysler workers vow to strike on Wednesday.

Will be interesting to see which of the two titans blinks first...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
between those two?.... man... i picture something like this..... "der..... "