Author Topic: UAW members turn down Fiat Chrysler tentative agreement, move a step closer to strike position  (Read 17663 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Back to the bargaining table
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Unions need to die.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Ok, so everyone wave bye bye to Chrysler..... :hello:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Damn...I was sure C'apn Marchionne was gonna form a triumvirate with GM,

Ford and 
his PICTURE....just like the three pronged Maserati thang OR is that the Devil of the deep blue sea..
...NEPTUNE  the devils wing man...some thing feeshy is goin' on @ FIAT headquarters  Jeep yer antenna tuna'ed
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300

Exactly....repeat after me Marchionne.....gracias, dos cerveza por favor, donde este el banyo  ;D

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
Good for the UAW members for sending a clear message to FCA and especially to the floundering leadership of their own union.

Marchionne himself is on the record saying that paying two workers different wages for doing exactly the same job is unethical.

The UAW and FCA were obviously ignoring his comments when they agreed to perpetuate the Two Tier wage system for 4 more years. UAW members have just reminded
them that they expect fair and equal pay that reflects the huge profits workers generate for FCA shareholders.

Auto sales are booming in the USA and Canada. Corporate profits are at record levels yet some posters still believe workers should get screwed and cheer at the thought of even more
good jobs lost to a nearly lawless narco-state.

Sad.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
I'm on the fence here with this one regarding the pay system.   However, if I was an autoworker my first goal would  be to give the company as little reasons to move the plant elsewhere as I can.

Good for the UAW members for sending a clear message to FCA and especially to the floundering leadership of their own union.

Marchionne himself is on the record saying that paying two workers different wages for doing exactly the same job is unethical.

The UAW and FCA were obviously ignoring his comments when they agreed to perpetuate the Two Tier wage system for 4 more years. UAW members have just reminded
them that they expect fair and equal pay that reflects the huge profits workers generate for FCA shareholders.

Auto sales are booming in the USA and Canada. Corporate profits are at record levels yet some posters still believe workers should get screwed and cheer at the thought of even more

Sad.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:44:43 pm by Runsinlight »

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
While this sort of action by the union doesn't help matters, it isn't just labour costs that are pushing automakers to Mexico. I'm sure energy prices don't help either.

Still- especially as it relates to the auto sector - I wish unions and automakers would find better ways to come to agreements in a way that both the automaker and worker can benefit. Canada, Ontario in particular, has the some of the  best educated and trained workers in the OECD. Trouble is, the automotive world is the very definition of globalization. Having the best workers isn't enough to keep all those jobs here.

As for the record profits - those are needed now to help pay for all the R&D to build cars and trucks to meet ever more stringent safety, emissions, and efficiency needs.

This is the part of the auto industry that I find depressing. At least my car was assembled in Ontario...

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
Given the Union supported the plan (as I understood it), it's the members that are being short sighted I think. 

• $18.00 an hour with gradual increases as a newbie autoworker and the opportunity for a long career with benefits, versus
  • relatively near-immediate equalization hourly rate and the likelihood you'll be unemployed in 24 months

As long as the corporate profitability-sharing question is addressed in a bonus structure (assuming there is one)....it seems balanced.

On the surface, it would appear the Union's approach seemed balanced...the members are looking for blood and (unfortunately) can't seem to comprehend there will only be one party bleeding in the end.
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile

Sad.

It's not that we think they should be screwed. It's we think with unrealistic demands for what is unskilled labor will eventually price themselves out of the market...right into the open arms of some other country.

Keep asking for professional or skilled trade wages for unskilled labor and some auto company will pull the plug some day.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

Sad.

It's not that we think they should be screwed. It's we think with unrealistic demands for what is unskilled labor will eventually price themselves out of the market...right into the open arms of some other country.

Keep asking for professional or skilled trade wages for unskilled labor and some auto company will pull the plug some day.

Exactly, why is this difficult to understand?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary

Sad.

Skilled/unskilled doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. There are very few sectors when automation or cheaper labour can't be found. People who think otherwise are just whistling past the graveyard.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Sad.

Skilled/unskilled doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. There are very few sectors when automation or cheaper labour can't be found. People who think otherwise are just whistling past the graveyard.
It absolutely does matter. Should a janitor at your business make the same as a PEng. who had to go to school for 4 years? Certainly not.  Why not? Because not everybody can do the PEng job as it takes special skills and education, but anybody can do the janitor job. Same with auto assemblers.

And because of this global economy, sad to say, they are competing against 3rd world countries. Now if I was the union, I certainly wouldn't be giving them reason to even contemplate moving. The math has been done already. If the Windsor minivan plant moves to Mexico, they stand to save a minimum of $500 million in labor costs per year. PER YEAR. For one plant. That number can't be ignored forever. The automaker is not a social "make work" program. They are in it for maximum profit and nothing more.

In your utopia (or a communist country) everyone gets paid the same regardless of job. But that's not reality here...however much you want to whine or dream about it.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
And who said they should make the same?

Start at a floor and work up. The stupidity is starting at the top and compressing wages down.

And when it comes to janitorial work, that has to be done locally. Engineering? My last company already has Indian offices that they are moving work to. They charge out the same, but the Indian engineers make Indian wages the company pockets the difference. The clients are oblivious because the PMs are good old Canadian boys.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
And once again people cheering for Canadian workers to earn less.  That's GREAT for the economy.

::)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
IIRC it is nearer 6 years for PEng.  4 year degree than working in a suitable job 'under the supervision of a PEng' for 2 years.   We had a guy came to work for us with a degree in engineering and I discovered that our division of the company had no PEng on staff... not surprising as we not in any way an engineering company.  The guy ended up leaving fairly soon.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
And once again people cheering for Canadian workers to earn less.  That's GREAT for the economy.

On the opposite end, manufacturing plants moving out of Canada to other Countries where labour is cheaper isn't great for the Canadian economy either. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Once the TPP is signed, it's game over anyway.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

On the opposite end, manufacturing plants moving out of Canada to other Countries where labour is cheaper isn't great for the Canadian economy either.

I don't see anyone cheering.  I see people here seeing the writing on the wall with unions pricing themselves out of existence.

I wish CAW members could make $100 an hour.  But they can't and still be competitive with other countries/plants.