Author Topic: First Drive: 2017 Audi A4  (Read 26333 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2017 Audi A4
« on: September 29, 2015, 06:31:32 am »

Quattro bellissimo.
Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: First Drive: 2017 Audi A4
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 09:04:13 am »
"Unfortunately, it’s unlikely the V6 TDI package will make it to North America, instead seeing the 2.0 TFSI accompanied only by a four-cylinder TDI diesel variant delivering 190 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque."

We might be waiting quite a while for this new 2.0L TDI engine as it would be related to the Dieselgate currently happening with VW.

Looks like a pretty good package Audi has put together.  Sure it doesn't look all that much different than the current generation but the added tech, loss of weight, and better interior quietness are all big steps forward.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 09:34:24 am »
"Unfortunately, it’s unlikely the V6 TDI package will make it to North America, instead seeing the 2.0 TFSI accompanied only by a four-cylinder TDI diesel variant delivering 190 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque."

We might be waiting quite a while for this new 2.0L TDI engine as it would be related to the Dieselgate currently happening with VW.

Looks like a pretty good package Audi has put together.  Sure it doesn't look all that much different than the current generation but the added tech, loss of weight, and better interior quietness are all big steps forward.

That looks like a completely different engine without looking at details but who knows.  Quite the jump up from 150hp/236ft-lbs to 190/295, but who knows. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:38:15 am »

That looks like a completely different engine without looking at details but who knows.  Quite the jump up from 150hp/236ft-lbs to 190/295, but who knows.

Oh for sure it's a completely different engine, but I'm sure it'll be tested extensively to make sure it complies with EPA standards before even thinking about selling it.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 09:50:45 am »
First off, as always:
Great article, Jeff!  Lucky boy, getting flown out to Italy to drive Audis.  Tough world you live in.

The good news is that yes, it certainly is, attacking the mostly rain-slick (and very narrow) pavement through the dense woods and cliff faces with good grip from the 245/35/19 Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2 summer rubber. The A4’s flat cornering attitude and impressive overall handling capabilities give a driver considerable confidence even when pressing hard.
Interesting that ze Germans are now using Hankooks!  What was once a niche, start-up player has now taken over the contract from Continental.  That's impressive for Hankook, I'd say, and an interesting move by Audi (I think...).

We also drove a bright red S-Line trim car with the 3.0L TDI engine and eight-speed Tiptronic automatic. With more power than the blue car (272 hp) and buckets of more torque (443 lb-ft), the acceleration of this car is impressive, pulling smoothly and linearly all the way to its modest redline. Audi claims this diesel to be a half second quicker to 100 km/h than the 2.0 TFSI engine (5.3 seconds versus 5.8).
Unfortunately, it’s unlikely the V6 TDI package will make it to North America, instead seeing the 2.0 TFSI accompanied only by a four-cylinder TDI diesel variant delivering 190 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. Likewise, on this side of the Atlantic we’ll also be deprived the great looking A4 Avant wagon to be launched simultaneously with the sedan, instead relegating those seeking more cargo capacity to settle for the butch-ified Allroad edition. Five additional engine options will be available overseas, with and without Quattro all-wheel drive.
Yup...I expected diesel comments to shine before I could get here - and shame we don't get that V6 TDI - are those numbers ever compelling!!  I suspect the 2.0D will come to do battle with the Jag XE, and what must, at some point, be a MB C250D, and of course, the 328d.  I'd still opt for the diesels over the gassers, but it all depends on what the price premium is for them.  Where the diesels are the base engines, I'd be as happy as snowman in a bespoke suit to drive a 190hp/295lb-ft 2.0D A4.

But as amazing as this is, I'd have to give that Jag XE a major look - the XE and the A4 would be my front-runners in this class.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 09:56:10 am »
"One of the most innovative ones here is Audi’s Adaptive Cruise Control with Traffic Jam Assist. This system not only manages speed in stop-and-go traffic, but is fully capable of steering the car in those conditions as well. Audi’s engineers fully admit this is the cusp of autonomously driving cars, but regulatory bodies still force manufacturers to build in settings requiring driver steering inputs every several seconds."

The one and only time I would like an autonomously driving car is in bumper to bumper traffic. Low to no speed stop and go is not what I consider driving, so I welcome the option. Low speed is also low risk.
To bad regulatory bodies and not comfortable with this yet.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 10:12:32 am »
Question:  I know the S4 isn't coming with a manual option in Canada, will any of the A4's?

But as amazing as this is, I'd have to give that Jag XE a major look - the XE and the A4 would be my front-runners in this class.

I (sort of) agree.   I'd likely default to a 3 series if it's the only stick option.  But ignoring that, I like the XE and A4 too.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 10:17:07 am »
Question:  I know the S4 isn't coming with a manual option in Canada, will any of the A4's?

I'd settle for a good Dual clutch and if the one they'd put in an Audi is as good as the VW DSGs or...wishing here... the Porsche one in the Macan  I might prefer that to a manual as I get old and creaky.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 10:23:22 am »
sorry, way too boring for me - bland as vanilla and it is HUGE for a midsize car - car makers must stop slowly growing their cars...

I am biased of course, but my pick in this class would be the driver's choice: Alfa Romeo Giulia. Lighter, better handling, better engines [rumoured still of course] and can still be had with a STICK and AWD. Sold.

Audi, in the name of becoming #1 and pleasing the Chinese...you have lost your way...

The B7 A4 still looks great compared to this IMHO.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 10:25:51 am »

I'd settle for a good Dual clutch and if the one they'd put in an Audi is as good as the VW DSGs or...wishing here... the Porsche one in the Macan  I might prefer that to a manual as I get old and creaky.

No manuals referenced in any of the press materials provided, nor mentioned at all on the drive event.

The dual clutch was *okay*.  The 8-speed Tiptronic was very, very good (think 8 spd ZF that BMW uses).
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 10:41:37 am »

No manuals referenced in any of the press materials provided, nor mentioned at all on the drive event.

The dual clutch was *okay*.  The 8-speed Tiptronic was very, very good (think 8 spd ZF that BMW uses).

My Q5 has that 8 speed auto and yes it is good but I'd trade for a dual clutch if I could.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 10:53:19 am »
sorry, way too boring for me - bland as vanilla and it is HUGE for a midsize car - car makers must stop slowly growing their cars...

I am biased of course, but my pick in this class would be the driver's choice: Alfa Romeo Giulia. Lighter, better handling, better engines [rumoured still of course] and can still be had with a STICK and AWD. Sold.

Audi, in the name of becoming #1 and pleasing the Chinese...you have lost your way...

The Giulia does look cool - but still need details on what will actually be offered in the lesser models.   Stick + AWD would be a surprising (though welcome combination).

However it's hard to compare the Alfa apples-to-apples with the established choices and larger dealer networks.   I'd be driving to Oakville to get it serviced.  Not ideal.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 10:55:20 am »
Which transmissions are paired to each engine?  I don't think I caught that in the article other than these two:
2.0T with 7-speed DCT;
3.0L V6 TDI with 8-speed autobox;

...but what of the:
2.0T detuned?
2.0D?

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 10:55:29 am »
No word on the detuned 2.0T and its fuel efficiency?
Me thinks that would be a best seller for Audi in Canada and THE commuter favourite among ze Germans.

No-To beat me to it  :)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 10:58:59 am »

The Giulia does look cool - but still need details on what will actually be offered in the lesser models.   Stick + AWD would be a surprising (though welcome combination).

However it's hard to compare the Alfa apples-to-apples with the established choices and larger dealer networks.   I'd be driving to Oakville to get it serviced.  Not ideal.
I would imagine you could get it serviced at Fiat dealerships too...if that helps. But yes I agree that is a concern that Alfa should remedy quickly.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 11:08:47 am »
We looked at Audis a few months ago. Wifey wanted to get back into a wagon or sedan  so we checked out the Allroad and the A4. With the driver seat set for my 6'2" frame(lots of leg in that ;D) the back seat room was marginal at best. The A4 trunk looked like it would struggle with 4 sets of ski equipment and luggage for a short weekend trip. It sounds like this may have been addressed with the new one although the trunk still looks narrow.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 11:30:09 am »
We looked at Audis a few months ago. Wifey wanted to get back into a wagon or sedan  so we checked out the Allroad and the A4. With the driver seat set for my 6'2" frame(lots of leg in that ;D) the back seat room was marginal at best. The A4 trunk looked like it would struggle with 4 sets of ski equipment and luggage for a short weekend trip. It sounds like this may have been addressed with the new one although the trunk still looks narrow.
honestly, with your size and cargo requirements, might I suggest you look a size class up? A6, 5 Series, Impala, etc. What you are asking for from a midsize sedan should not realistically be asked of it. The class as a whole is too small.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 11:37:45 am »
honestly, with your size and cargo requirements, might I suggest you look a size class up? A6, 5 Series, Impala, etc. What you are asking for from a midsize sedan should not realistically be asked of it. The class as a whole is too small.

A midsize sedan should be able to haul a family of 4. No kid seats just sprouting teenagers.  ;D

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 11:51:33 am »
The A4 ain't midsize.   It's compact.   A6/5/etc are midsize.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 11:51:54 am »

A midsize sedan should be able to haul a family of 4. No kid seats just sprouting teenagers.  ;D

and you are saying it cant do that? I find that hard to believe considering its dimensions. My 07 Saab 9-3 is hardly huge, but it can haul around 4 just fine with a trunk full of stuff. It is no S Class, but then again it shouldnt be. So can my 20 year old Alfa 155, which is a tiny car in comparison.

If you think the new A4 is too small for 4 people and some luggage, again, might I suggest the A6 or A8? Those both are much bigger.