Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Kia Soul EV  (Read 5077 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Kia Soul EV
« on: September 25, 2015, 06:39:44 am »

Is it possible to swap an electric drivetrain into an established gas-powered model and end up with an even better vehicle?
Read More...

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1231
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Kia Soul EV
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 06:53:11 am »
You compare the price of the Soul EV to the base Soul but it's equipment level is similar to the SX.  ??? The SX is $29,500, trow in the gov. incentive and the almost nil running cost and the EV becomes a great deal.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:55:07 am by Guy »

Offline ArtW

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 09:32:29 am »
$34995 + $200 +$1715 +$115 = $37025 which is different from $40025 by $3k. What's missing?
Sales taxed don't make for the difference neither HST nor Alberta's GST only.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 11:20:23 am »
It's the Lux version. it's $3K over the price of the "base" EV.

Huge marketing miss by Kia on the base version btw. Unlike the US model, the Canadian base doesn't have the ChaDemo plug for fast charging at 400V DC stations. So the dealers can't supply to the demand for the Lux (in Quebec anyway), and base versions are piling up in the dealer yards.

Sorry to say this is a poorly researched article, finding charging stations is very easy using the plugshare app. You even get a notification as you get close to a charging station.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 10:00:43 am »

Huge marketing miss by Kia on the base version btw. Unlike the US model, the Canadian base doesn't have the ChaDemo plug for fast charging at 400V DC stations. So the dealers can't supply to the demand for the Lux (in Quebec anyway), and base versions are piling up in the dealer yards.

Sorry to say this is a poorly researched article, finding charging stations is very easy using the plugshare app. You even get a notification as you get close to a charging station.

Good info from an actual EV owner. Thanks. My feeling is that 150 km. range is perfectly adequate. An advantage is that it won't tempt you into dicey highway ventures, as would the Tesla, undoubtedly resulting in wasted time and money looking for charging and waiting for same. This is pretty well the perfect EV in consideration of the state of technology in 2015. The landscape will change, but if you are  one of the privileged to be living in an area of the country that actually promotes clean energy initiatives through EV purchase incentives, then even the high cost of this vehicle is mitigated. Love to have one. Would be so cool now, perhaps less so in 10 years as EV becomes mainstream. Or maybe I'll just buy a TDI to save fuel :)

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 11:54:03 pm »

Good info from an actual EV owner. Thanks. My feeling is that 150 km. range is perfectly adequate. An advantage is that it won't tempt you into dicey highway ventures, as would the Tesla, undoubtedly resulting in wasted time and money looking for charging and waiting for same. This is pretty well the perfect EV in consideration of the state of technology in 2015. The landscape will change, but if you are  one of the privileged to be living in an area of the country that actually promotes clean energy initiatives through EV purchase incentives, then even the high cost of this vehicle is mitigated. Love to have one. Would be so cool now, perhaps less so in 10 years as EV becomes mainstream. Or maybe I'll just buy a TDI to save fuel :)

You won't need a government incentive to make the TDI's price attractive. VW took care of that very nicely...
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 11:16:39 pm »
Or maybe I'll just buy a TDI to save fuel

Not after VW modify their emissions controls to comply with US EPA standards.  The cars on the road will be reduced in power and smoothness compared to the existing dirty diesels they are, belching out 40x the smog producing chemicals compared to the standard.  The catalytic converters will be running much harder and potentially require maintenance sooner.  Lose lose.

Then compare that to the lack of emissions devices in my Smart ED and Tesla...no emissions = no need to defeat.  Full power any time any speed...no delay, no fumes.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 05:42:36 am »

Then compare that to the lack of emissions devices in my Smart ED and Tesla...no emissions = no need to defeat.  Full power any time any speed...no delay, no fumes.

Off topic but Smart Electric, how do you compare the NHV levels of the Tesla and Smartie?  I found the noise levels in the Smart to be impressively low and a complete surprise.  The blocking of outside noise sources was really impressive.

The Tesla was also quiet - not quite bank vault-like - but that was no surprise.  But you drive these two back to back so please comment on their relative quietness.

Thanks!

Cheers,
John M.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 03:05:06 pm »
In the city, most of the noise is from the cars next to you. 

The Smart ED has it's own noise generator that makes a really neat futuristic "wheee" when driving under 40 km/h.
The Tesla is near silent.  We have low rolling resistance summer tires on right now.

At mid-speeds of 60-80 km/h, the Smart ED is quiet, with a hint of wind noise.  Tesla again is more quiet than the Smart.

At highway speeds 100+ km/h, the Smart ED is as loud as any other compact car, similar to my old Ford Focus.

The Tesla is very quiet at high speed, more quiet than our former Mercedes GLK, especially when it's windy out, the Tesla is not troubled by cross winds. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 03:26:44 pm »
I took this car out for a really long loop...

...around 10 parking spots in the underground lot.  From my 'extensive' test, I thought it was a huge winner based on smoothness and comfort.  It was, admittedly, a limited test, however.  ;D

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 05:09:14 pm »
I took this car out for a really long loop...

...around 10 parking spots in the underground lot.  From my 'extensive' test, I thought it was a huge winner based on smoothness and comfort.  It was, admittedly, a limited test, however.  ;D

I think you took a longer ride that the guy who wrote the article.. :rofl2:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 05:29:55 pm »
I think you took a longer ride that the guy who wrote the article.. :rofl2:
Nah - he drove it to the parking garage...so...yeah, his ride was definitely longer.

Look, it's a tough vehicle to review.  It's been thoroughly stated that the Soul has a gas model and a full EV, so how does the EV drive?  How's its range?  What are the shortcomings?  It's all in there in a thorough review.  If there's something specific you'd like to see, be constructive and let the author know :)

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 06:33:44 pm »
Ok, let's see.

- What model did you actually test? Base, Lux, Lux with roof?
- Does it have the ChaDemo fast charger connection? (This is a huge issue with Kia prospect buyers; with fast chargers being put in function every week in QC)
- Why do you mention the CAA and Provincial gvnt app to find charging stations while multiple other Apps are 100's times more functional?
- What's the range in summer, in winter? I see no mention of the range in the article. (he does mention something about 100 km, I know someone who did over 200 in a Soul EV)
- Does the car have a feature that direct A/C or heating to the driver only to save energy? (Hint: it does, a nice feature of the Soul)
- Heated seat? Heated steering Wheel? cooled and ventilated seats?
- Recharge time on L2, L3 charger?
- Why compare pricing of a well equipped Soul EV to the strippo gas version?
- Why not mention the incentives that lower the price significantly?
- What do you think of the OEM tires on the car?

Need more??

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 06:40:46 pm by Guy »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 10:39:24 am »
Need more??
It's not for my benefit - I was merely suggesting that you could be more constructive with your criticism.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 09:38:32 pm »
Could not believe it, there is a Kia Soul EV in my office parking lot!  Black with red roof.  VERY sharp looking EV.   Such a rare beast...wish Kia actually wanted to sell it, it's a pretty compelling commuter vehicle.