Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited 1.6T AWD  (Read 11387 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited 1.6T AWD
« on: September 24, 2015, 07:29:31 am »

Looking like a smaller Santa Fe, the all-new Tucson offers a new turbo engine, more passenger room, improved quality and a premium price.
Read More...

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited 1.6T AWD
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 09:10:33 am »

Looking like a smaller Santa Fe, the all-new Tucson offers a new turbo engine, more passenger room, improved quality and a premium price.
Read More...

They have done a great job updating the Tucson.  I just think the pricing is too ambitious.  CX-5 would be my pick among the category.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 09:14:18 am »
Well it looks good.  But why was it necessary to go bigger?  Can't really find a reason to get this over other competitors.  Less fuel efficient, weights more because they made it bigger, has less cargo capacity, not cheaper than the competition.  Hyundai now needs a CUV to compete with the HRV, CX-3, etc...

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 09:19:32 am »
Heavier, poor fuel economy by any measure, no manual, reduced towing capacity, inflated price - sounds like Hyundai has plateaued and is no longer offering compelling reasons to purchase their products (at least this one). Looks attractive, though, and doesn't seem to have a typical blindspot.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 09:26:08 am »
Hyundai now needs a CUV to compete with the HRV, CX-3, etc...

That's why. They're making space.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 09:29:06 am »

Not sure when it's due, but they better hurry up.  Always seem to be playing catching up.  Rarely leading in anything.  They should have done the smaller CUV first.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 10:18:47 am »

I disagree.  Hyundai has rightly noticed that folks tend to like 'bang for buck' (i.e. value).  That's why the Equinox continues to sell despite being a total turd - it's larger inside than its competitors.  The Santa Fe Sport is slightly larger than the rest of the 'compact' class (Rav4, etc).  There won't be a mini Tucson - if you want smaller, get the Elantra GT <--- at least that's my guess.  It follows from Hyundai's previous habit of making its offerings slightly larger than the rest.  At 176.2" long, it's still a good 3-5" shorter than the CRV, Forester, Rav4, etc (all of which hover just above the 180" mark).  It's still a remarkable 10" shorter than the Santa Fe, and only <1" longer than the Subaru Crosstrek.  That it's ~10" longer than the Renegade or JellybeanTrax speaks only to how short and stubby that one is.

Hyundai’s marketing gurus must have decided that the family resemblance would help them sell more vehicles. But, I suggest, at the cost of its individuality. Does anybody care? That remains to be seen.
I also disagree with this - I think Hyundai found a design that was well-taken by the buying public in the Santa Fe and decided to make it the 'new' corporate face.  Individuality between models from any one manufacturer is not necessarily a better move; making a car that looks good in any event is.

The new Tucson is more responsive on take-off, when changing lanes in city traffic, when accelerating onto the freeway and when speeding up to change lanes on the freeway.
You sure about that one, Greg?  The rest of the line I agree with...but you do say:
Replacing the Tucson’s traditional six-speed automatic transmission is a new seven-speed dual clutch transmission. It changes gears very quickly and smoothly but as with other dual-clutch trannies we’ve tried, there is some hesitation in first gear.

Despite gaining over 120 kg in curb weight, the 2016 Tucson AWD with the 1.6T engine is 0.3 seconds quicker in a 0 to 100 km/h sprint: 8.8 seconds vs 9.1 seconds.
Wow, that weight gain really did make its mark - the 1.6T doesn't feel that slow, but my goodness is that slow for the 'upgraded' engine.  I wonder what 80-120 is like...

In the driver’s seat, visibility to the front and sides is clear but over-the-shoulder visibility is limited by a small third side window.
Surprisingly, I actually didn't mind the outward visibility in this thing.  It's no Subaru, but it wasn't bad at all - definitely better than I was expecting.

Granted, the new Hyundai Tucson Limited looks, feels and drives like a premium SUV, but is it worth more than the best-selling favourites?
That's what I've found - Hyundai is trying to move upmarket, along with Mazda.  In a market driven by pricing, it's a bold move that I'm not so sure will pay off with the same dividends as Hyundai has been enjoying in the past (at least, not without massive discounting).

...with that being said, I saw a 2016 Tucson Ultimate 1.6T AWD (there's a badge for all of that on the rear) today on my drive to work.  It's a stunning-looking vehicle, and the interior is grand.

...but with the odd DCT, the slow 0-60 times, the relatively thirsty engine, and pricing that remains about $3k too high in most trims, I'm not sure this thing will sell as expected.  With $3k in dealer discounts, however, this thing will fly off the lots.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 10:23:52 am »
Not feeling the Price as tested: $38,544 on this top variant.

Better vehicle than some established competitors but not enough to justify this price point in this contested small \ med CUV market.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 10:49:00 am »

Better vehicle than some established competitors but not enough to justify this price point in this contested small \ med CUV market.
FYI, this tester was the 1.6T Limited.  On top of that, there is the 1.6T Ultimate, stickering in at nearly $42,000.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 10:55:37 am »
I find this thing quite pricey when compared against the competition.  Throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the Rogue, you're looking at what?  $30K? 

$38K for a Tuscon is putting it into the territory of the Murano SV, Highlander and super fully loaded Forester.  That's pretty ballsy on Hyundai's part. 

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 10:58:22 am »

FYI, this tester was the 1.6T Limited.  On top of that, there is the 1.6T Ultimate, stickering in at nearly $42,000.

:fall:  :fall:

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 11:33:15 am »
I find this thing quite pricey when compared against the competition.  Throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the Rogue, you're looking at what?  $30K?

$37k

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 12:44:22 pm »
...um...
GET UP TO
$ 3,250*
in std rate finance cash on most Rogue trims
PLUS
$600 LOYALTY CASH for current Nissan owners††
- See more at: http://www.choosenissan.ca/on-en/2015/rogue#sthash.bIxkhZnV.dpuf

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 07:46:48 pm »

$38K for a Tuscon is putting it into the territory of the Murano SV, Highlander and super fully loaded Forester.  That's pretty ballsy on Hyundai's part.

doesn't mean much, most vehicles overlap on prices from the next model up, so its no different than the rest of the competition.  You can easily get over $40k on a Escape if you wish (then you can say why not get a an Edge) or you can hit $36k on a RAV4 but you can get a Highlander starting at $33k or a Nissan Rogue can get over $35k but you can get a Murano that starts at $30k, etc, etc.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 07:59:20 pm »

doesn't mean much, most vehicles overlap on prices from the next model up, so its no different than the rest of the competition.  You can easily get over $40k on a Escape if you wish (then you can say why not get a an Edge) or you can hit $36k on a RAV4 but you can get a Highlander starting at $33k or a Nissan Rogue can get over $35k but you can get a Murano that starts at $30k, etc, etc.
exactly...this argument is always ridiculous.

the reviewer is supplied with an upper trim product to "sample the goods", and the complaints are always "$XXk for that?, i'd go with XYZ instead"...and then the odd time a lower trim model is provided, people pick it apart for not having leather, NAV, LED lights, etc...it's a circular argument that got tiring the first 80 times it happened.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 08:05:00 pm »
it's still a Hyundai. I can't see paying Honda/Toyota prices for one. The draw to Hyundai/Kia is value for the money, if that's not there whats the draw to buy one? Can't say any of their products are head over heels better than the competition. The resale value is still very low on these Korean offerings.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 08:28:50 pm »
it's still a Hyundai. I can't see paying Honda/Toyota prices for one. The draw to Hyundai/Kia is value for the money, if that's not there whats the draw to buy one? Can't say any of their products are head over heels better than the competition. The resale value is still very low on these Korean offerings.
well, price out a comparably equipped RAV4...it's likely an inferior AWD system, has a lower powered non-turbo engine (which some may not care about, but some may), has less warranty, less features and is still similarly priced (MSRP on an AWD Limited with tech package is $37,675 with freight/AC tax)...the fact that Hyundai (and Kia) have come so far over the last decade is proof they know a thing or two about what customer's want, and do it.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 08:35:32 pm »
Over the past decade they offered lots of standard equipment the competition didn't, with a lower price.  Now the competition has caught up, Hyundai's offer very similar equipment, and the price isn't much different.  More people care about resale value, the reliability factor, then they do about a longer warranty.  Time will tell.   How is the AWD in the Tucson better than the RAV4?  And the Hyundai's new turbo is less fuel efficient than the NA engines from competitors!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12420
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 08:42:36 pm »
This is quite an attractive and sporty-looking little SUV in the metal.  Interior is pretty nice as well.  I think a 1.6t is a bit small for a vehicle this large, though.  If it's slower than the CX-5, that would be too slow for me.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 11:23:30 pm »
the writers quote:

With the keys to an all-new 2016 Hyundai Tucson in my hand, I searched Hyundai’s parking lot for my test vehicle. All I could see was a Hyundai Santa Fe, but strangely, when I pressed the unlock button on my key fob, the lights of the Santa Fe blinked.

the 2016 Tucson’s styling is clearly a design grab from the Santa Fe. Hyundai’s marketing gurus must have decided that the family resemblance would help them sell more vehicles. But, I suggest, at the cost of its individuality. Does anybody care? That remains to be seen.

don't think you will find that problem with the corporate cousin when you eventually test the 2017 Sportage when there is a Sorento in the parking lot  ;D