Author Topic: Feature: Subaru Ironman  (Read 6727 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Subaru Ironman
« on: September 23, 2015, 06:53:49 am »

In which Jacob forgets to write about the car.
Read More...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Feature: Subaru Ironman
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 07:13:46 am »
Good article. You should have mentioned that the 'crazy people' pay over $700 just for the entry fee + travel + hotels + etc to do these events. Not a cheap sport. Nice to see some emphases on the last hour, trying to make cut off is a huge deal for those people.

One of my pet peeves is people that do a tri-a-tri and walk around saying the did an Ironman.....Not even close.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 08:45:07 am »
Some look like they’re in peak physical condition, some look like me after Christmas, but all of them have dragged their protesting bodies through 4 km of swim, 180 km of bike ride and 42 km of run. Why? Insanity, perhaps.
Nah, my brother did it for $750 off his Crosstrek.

One of my pet peeves is people that do a tri-a-tri and walk around saying the did an Ironman.....Not even close.
I could not disagree with you more.  At least they did Triy!  I'd rather someone backstroke or use waterwings, then bike for a few days, then run/walk/run/walk/jog/walk/walk/walk/jog/walk/crawl than sit on their as$ at home complaining about being overweight, out of shape, and doing nothing about it.  If you're ok being a couch potato and won't be an economic drain on the healthcare system, then power to you, but quad, how can you ridicule people who at least give these things a try?  Perhaps this is their first attempt before doing it again, and again, and again, until they finish in a respectable 1,726th place?  Who cares.  They tried, they enjoyed.

As for spending $700 to do it, for my brother at least, he does enjoy doing marathons/biathalons - perhaps not that long, but he definitely did not see the expense of doing the Ironman as an expense...and to boot, at least Subaru reimbursed him for it.

This is brilliant marketing for Subaru.  Not to be known only as being an all (except BRZ) AWD lineup (which can be easily met by many competitors at some point if they so choose), Subaru wants folks to see how useful its vehicles are for active, outdoor use. 

Now, if they could only sponsor a camping, skiing, or scuba diving trip...I'd be all over that.

...oh, right...Jacob article - time for praise:
What I love about this article, and I do love it, is that you take an event...say, an Ironman.  You see the corporate sponsor.  Sure.  How does one turn that into an article?  It shows that you did not go there and run :P, but you were observant.  You noticed individuals, you focused on the power hour, you noticed little details like the Crosstrek wanting to go for a swim (adorable, by the way).  Not a single mention of vehicle specifications, and as it shouldn't be - this is about the Subaru ideal and not about what vehicles it offers.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:48:01 am by No-san »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 08:50:13 am »
I could not disagree with you more.  At least they did Triy!  I'd rather someone backstroke or use waterwings, then bike for a few days, then run/walk/run/walk/jog/walk/walk/walk/jog/walk/crawl than sit on their as$ at home complaining about being overweight, out of shape, and doing nothing about it.  If you're ok being a couch potato and won't be an economic drain on the healthcare system, then power to you, but quad, how can you ridicule people who at least give these things a try?  Perhaps this is their first attempt before doing it again, and again, and again, until they finish in a respectable 1,726th place?  Who cares.  They tried, they enjoyed.

But its the equivalent of putting a M3 badge on your 318. It would be like me running a 5K race and saying I did a marathon. If you did a try-a-tri then you DID NOT do an Ironman.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 08:53:20 am »
It's good to read a non-car article for once, a nice breather. Good job Jacob  :)
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 11:40:13 am »
But its the equivalent of putting a M3 badge on your 318. It would be like me running a 5K race and saying I did a marathon. If you did a try-a-tri then you DID NOT do an Ironman.
Are you kidding me?  In what way?  Folks don't exercise for 8h17mins+ (more likely the 12+hours) just to "say you did it".  It's a personal goal.  The person isn't running around saying "I won the Ironman!"  "I did the Ironman" is fully accurate so long as that person completed it.

And if you drive an M3 or a 320 on the 401 at 3am with nobody around at a constant 100km/h with cruise control on, what's the difference? 

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 12:20:55 pm »
I think he means people who do a small triathlon (waaaay less distance) and claim it's an "Ironman".

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 01:02:20 pm »
I think he means people who do a small triathlon (waaaay less distance) and claim it's an "Ironman".
Yes that is right. I'm glad somebody got it.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 01:05:07 pm »
Yes that is right. I'm glad somebody got it.
Ah, so you have issues with folks who equate any triathalon to the Ironman.  Gotchya.  Agreed in principle, unless they are just uninformed to the truth.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 06:06:55 pm »
My ex-principal is an Iron Man finisher. It's an accomplishment that takes most people years of dedication and intense training.

If I'd put in that level of effort I would get a little miffed if someone that finished a Tri the fraction of the distance called themselves an Iron Man.

Speaking of Subarus - a skier I know that lives in Colorado is a long term Subaru owner. About 10 years ago he moved to California. He lasted a year before having to return to Crested Butte. He said his Subaru seems sad in Cali and seemed happy to move back to the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 09:00:00 pm »
Great read.  A couple of noteworthy facts:
- The oldest competitor was 74; he called it quits after the swim and bike portions so he did not finish
- The temperature reached 29C with a humidex of 36 on the day of the event

Never in my wildest dreams would I even consider doing such an event.  Congrats to all competitors!

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 09:04:05 pm »
You're right, there were so many noteworthy stories in this one. Including one bloke who completed his 100th ironman!!!
And the blind lady who sadly pulled out on the run because she wasn't going to make it.
And the paralyzed bloke who was dead last after the swim, not far off that during the bike and then SMASHED the run and came in about six hours early.
And the two old fellas who ran in after the cut off and got run in by the "Angels of Tremblant" and cheered in by the most vocal crowd I've ever seen.
I'd love to hear Railton's story of his event. Hope he posts in here.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 09:20:11 pm »
Our own Railton is a n ironman badass.

"Witness the fitness"

If I could swim I'd go for it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 09:50:43 pm »
Our own Railton is a n ironman badass.

"Witness the fitness"

If I could swim I'd go for it.
Hard to believe you can't swim.

That being said, I've seen triathlon were the swim part is replaced with a stand up paddle board. That still wouldn't be terribly easy to do quickly.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 09:54:52 pm »
Hard to believe you can't swim.

Just well enough to get myself to the edge of the pool.  And that's barely.  It's just not my thing.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 09:59:38 pm »
They have mountain bike biathlons. I'd be VERY down with trying that.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 10:01:26 pm »
I would do a triathlon if it was 100 laps of MoSport on a sportbike, 100 laps of MoSport in a race car (any car) and then 50 laps of some random dirt bike track on a dirt bike.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 10:02:38 pm »

I've thought about it.  Made my own in the mountains where I ride my bike, run, and then ride.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 10:17:11 pm »

I've thought about it.  Made my own in the mountains where I ride my bike, run, and then ride.
No. It's riding and shooting. Like alpine biathlon except biking replaces the cross country skiing.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 10:48:29 pm »
No. It's riding and shooting. Like alpine biathlon except biking replaces the cross country skiing.

Oh, I did ski biathlon when I was young - it's BRUTALLY difficult.