Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Ford Escape Titanium  (Read 9654 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2016 Ford Escape Titanium
« on: September 22, 2015, 06:31:18 am »

Family time with some precious metal.
Read More...

Offline bone

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford F-150. Mustang
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Ford Escape Titanium
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 07:47:44 am »
I owned a 2009 Escape Limited AWD for just over a year. It was a very good looking and dependable vehicle but a little too small for our needs. When the newly designed Escape came out I was very disappointed in its looks although a fully loaded SE I rode in seemed to drive very well. The new Escape's awkward design has weathered very poorly against the competition. I would agree that the Mazda MX5 is the best of a very busy segment. The Santa Fe Sport would be my second choice followed by the CRV. The Rav 4 is just silly looking in my opinion and would never be worthy of consideration. A close friend and his wife just purchased a new Equinox and Escape. Their favourite? The Equinox.

Offline Boff

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-9
  • Swervedriver
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Ford Mustang GT 6MT (mine); 2016 BMW X1 (better half's)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 07:56:25 am »
The Escape is a great vehicle; right-sized and actually somewhat fun to drive for a cross-over and that 2.0 L Ecoboost has a lot of beans. But I don't understand how the fuel economy could be so bad, when my wife's 328i with a similar engine is averaging 8.5 L/100 km in mostly urban driving...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 08:50:08 am »
The Escape is a great vehicle; right-sized and actually somewhat fun to drive for a cross-over and that 2.0 L Ecoboost has a lot of beans. But I don't understand how the fuel economy could be so bad, when my wife's 328i with a similar engine is averaging 8.5 L/100 km in mostly urban driving...
The Escape is likely heavier, AWD, and has more wind resistance.  As well, maybe your wife would get a different result (better) than Brendan if she were driving the Escape, and Brendan would likely get far worse than your wife in a 328i.

Offline Boff

• Learner's Permit
  • Swervedriver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 09:48:37 am »
The Escape is likely heavier, AWD, and has more wind resistance.  As well, maybe your wife would get a different result (better) than Brendan if she were driving the Escape, and Brendan would likely get far worse than your wife in a 328i.

All true, but a 50% difference? Even I can't seem to burn much fuel in that Bimmer. The Ecoboost 2.0L doesn't do that great in the Fusion, either.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 10:00:40 am »
The one drawback is, of course, the Ecoboost engine’s fuel economy. Official ratings are set at 11.4 L/100 km in the city and 8.4 L/100 km on the highway; I suppose it might be possible to hit these figures under ideal conditions, but start dipping into the boost for on-ramps, in-traffic shunting, climbing hills, and just general everyday use, and consumption quickly climbs. Over the course of the week, I averaged 12.5 L/100 km or so, about 10 percent worse than suggested mixed-mileage.
I'm calling bullsh!t either on 8.5L/100km or that it's an urban-only figure - and also note that your wife's bimmer uses premium fuel.  Fuelly shows the 328i at 25.4MPG, which is 9.3L/100km.  That's for mixed driving.

My Lady's 2011 Forester XT is a relative pig on (premium-required) gas.  In the snowiest part of the winter, I've spotted her average over the course of a week (truly ONLY urban driving of <4km round trip to/from work) at 19.2L/100km.  With that being said, I just did a trek to/from Toronto from Guelph at a steady 120km/h with some traffic near Milton and averaged 8.8L/100km of Shell V-Power.  The 2011 Forester is boxy, has a 4-speed automatic, and has awful driveline losses exceeding 20%.  In the city, I get about 11L/100km, while her heavier foot gets about 12-12.5L/100km.

The Escape is similar in weight, has less of a driveline loss, and will soon have a more modern turbo setup (twin-scroll).  [Source].

This is the thing about turbocharged engines: their relative fuel economy will depend more on driver input than naturally aspirated engines will.  It is highly conceivable that Jacob Black would get 12L/100km in your wife's Bimmer, whereas I, the granny of the bunch, will get closer to 8.0L/100km.  In every comparo, the test average drops by about 0.5L/100km when I have at it, and rises about 1L/100km when Jacob steps out.  Silly Jacob.

The Escape is a great vehicle.  It has excellent driving dynamics, it's relatively small in this age of growing CUVs, it has decent cargo capacity despite the foregoing, and its available options can make it rental car grade or entry-luxe.  My concerns for it are solely with respect to reliability/build quality and MSRP, which as Brendan mentions, depends on the sale-of-the-day.  Ford Motor Company is historically relevant for its ability to produce vehicles at a relatively low cost (perhaps not quite Toyota low...but still) and high output to keep up with (HA!  exceed...) demand.  The flip side is that, on occasion (not always), panels don't fit flush, third party parts are not tested thoroughly enough, and the primary directive is not to out-shine Lexus in terms of reliability.  But does the Escape, objectively, check all the boxes that folks would want?  100%.  It'd be nice to get a hybrid version back, but it is a really, really well-designed vehicle.

Heck, that’s even a real handbrake: when’s the last time you saw one of those in a crossover?

^^ Forestah a-go! (and Crosstrek for that matter)

If we did decide to turf our Fozzie (we won't), my top 3 replacements would be:
1) Forester/Crosstrek (depending on whether or not the Crosstrek ever gets the FB25!!)
2) Tiguan
3) Escape

I simply do not find favour with Honda's designs of late, and their anaemic engines are not to my liking.  Nissan's interiors are great, but powertrains woeful.  Toyota's offering has become too harsh-riding and again, styling is too polarizing.  I still don't trust Hyundai/Kia in terms of long-term reliability (of little stuff - mechanically I'm sure it's all fine), and certainly not for the higher price we're seeing (ahem, especially with the new Free-Trade agreement).  While I like the CX-5, its outward visibility and relative width makes the vehicle drive much larger than it is and I dislike that.  The Equinox?  Lolz.  No.  I may have gone to a Demolition Derby in New Hamburg last weekend, but my neck didn't get burned enough for me to put space and Buick-like ride comfort ahead of driving dynamics, quality, or feature content.  The list goes on.

^^ The point of my saying is to suggest that there's an option for everyone, but the Escape is the the one that will do everything well to the exclusion of very little.  Its outward visibility is decent, it has sufficient space, it has good ground clearance, and can be had with many, many desirable options.

...except for the Small Overlap, it seems to be a pretty safe vehicle, too...but that is an ongoing concern.

Offline Concerned Commuter

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 10:18:02 am »
i purchased one of the first 2013 Escapes when they came out.  Mine was a 2.0 Ecoboost AWD SEL.  It saw daily commuting action of 150 kms round trip for over 2 years.  Best fuel economy highway was 6.8 litres per 100 km on a 4 hour trip.  Average commuting economy was 8.5 litres per 100 km (90 % highway).  I drive at the posted limited, no jackrabbit starts or wild passing maneuvers for this old fella.  In my 25 years of commuting, this was by far the best vehicle I have owned with regards to handling on icy highways.  I had a good set of winter tires on it and while others were struggling to get going, the Escape felt like it was on dry pavement.  I traded it off in December with 98000 kms on it, it was time for my better half to get a new vehicle (she opted for a 2014 F150 FX4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost) and I purchased a more economical commuter (2012 Fusion SEL 2.5 litre).  I really miss the Escape, it was very comfortable, had excellent visibility, was built very well, and did not have any mechanical issues at all.  Very reliable, very safe, excellent handling, very quiet, and relatively economical for an SUV.  I will probably buy another one in 2-3 years when it is time for an upgrade.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 10:41:18 am »
i purchased one of the first 2013 Escapes when they came out.  Mine was a 2.0 Ecoboost AWD SEL.  It saw daily commuting action of 150 kms round trip for over 2 years.  Best fuel economy highway was 6.8 litres per 100 km on a 4 hour trip.  Average commuting economy was 8.5 litres per 100 km (90 % highway).  I drive at the posted limited, no jackrabbit starts or wild passing maneuvers for this old fella.  In my 25 years of commuting, this was by far the best vehicle I have owned with regards to handling on icy highways.  I had a good set of winter tires on it and while others were struggling to get going, the Escape felt like it was on dry pavement.  I traded it off in December with 98000 kms on it, it was time for my better half to get a new vehicle (she opted for a 2014 F150 FX4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost) and I purchased a more economical commuter (2012 Fusion SEL 2.5 litre).  I really miss the Escape, it was very comfortable, had excellent visibility, was built very well, and did not have any mechanical issues at all.  Very reliable, very safe, excellent handling, very quiet, and relatively economical for an SUV.  I will probably buy another one in 2-3 years when it is time for an upgrade.
You clearly like Ford, but thanks for the owner update!  :cheers:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 11:00:42 am »
I have said before I like these......I was sitting around with a buddy last night have a beer and he was talking about maybe getting one as him and his wife just had a second kid and they need more space. So with the talk of the Ecoboost engine came the idea of mods, this guy is thinking about a 300hp family hauler that goes "PSHHHHH" every time it shifts  :rofl: Out of the small CUVs, this and an older Subie with a proper tranny would be my top runners.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline CountOfGamble

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 11:04:05 am »
I have said before I like these......I was sitting around with a buddy last night have a beer and he was talking about maybe getting one as him and his wife just had a second kid and they need more space. So with the talk of the Ecoboost engine came the idea of mods, this guy is thinking about a 300hp family hauler that goes "PSHHHHH" every time it shifts  :rofl: Out of the small CUVs, this and an older Subie with a proper tranny would be my top runners.

Blow-off valve on an Escape. I like it!  ;D

Northernridge

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 11:30:39 am »
This Ford must be getting close to the opening price point of the little Lincoln CUV.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 11:34:01 am »
This Ford must be getting close to the opening price point of the little Lincoln CUV.
Indeed, the MKC starts at $39k IIRC.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 12:22:31 pm »

Yup but you can't forget about the discounts... :P :P :P :P

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 12:23:34 pm »

interesting...maybe that BMW has a device that turn Emissions On and OFF  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Northernridge

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 12:25:51 pm »

I didn't ask to be provocative. I quite like the new Lincoln CUV...design, colours, finishes etc. I'd gladly pay a little more for it over the Ford.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 12:33:44 pm »

I'd guess both the Ford and Lincoln have similar [massive] discounts.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 01:17:56 pm »

I'd guess both the Ford and Lincoln have similar [massive] discounts.

Despite being so rare as to be vaporware, a base 2.0L MKC will have much less equipment than the top Escape Titanium. A buyer would be paying a substantial premium to get the Lincoln design.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Boff

• Learner's Permit
  • Swervedriver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 01:37:36 pm »
I'm calling bullsh!t either on 8.5L/100km or that it's an urban-only figure - and also note that your wife's bimmer uses premium fuel.  Fuelly shows the 328i at 25.4MPG, which is 9.3L/100km.  That's for mixed driving.

Well I don't know what to tell you, man...but the display says 8.5 L/100 km as we speak and I haven't reset it in over a year (wife does not know how). 90% of the km in that span (20,000) have been driving the mean streets of Windsor, Ontario. She doesn't drive very hard, admittedly, but that said she always has the car in too low a gear (it's a manual). Fuelly reports 25.4 mpg - 28.5 mpg, depending on the year of the F30 (2012 to present). The comparable numbers for the 2.0L Ecoboost Escape are 22.1 - 22.7 mpg.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 01:52:32 pm »
Well I don't know what to tell you, man...but the display says 8.5 L/100 km as we speak and I haven't reset it in over a year (wife does not know how). 90% of the km in that span (20,000) have been driving the mean streets of Windsor, Ontario.
^^^  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't care to argue with you - you made me laugh!  Thanks :)

Offline jpd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 04:57:49 pm »
7.8 l/100km among the mean streets of Gatineau with my 2015 CRV  (but the engine has about 17000 km already)!