Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Lincoln MKX  (Read 3946 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2016 Lincoln MKX
« on: September 21, 2015, 06:30:33 am »

So what is a Lincoln, anyway?
Read More...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Test Drive: 2016 Lincoln MKX
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 08:49:27 am »
I noticed that the Mercedes Benz GLS (formerly GL) is listed as a competitor. However, the GLS is a much larger vehicle and I believe the GLE (formerly ML) should be listed instead.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Lincoln MKX
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 10:13:01 am »
This is a nice looking crossover overall, that front end really does not work for me though. Funny thing is I've actually seen a few driving around, they might actually sell some.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 11:27:31 am »
What would I like to see? A head-up display instead of the small display between the major gauges; better positioning of some controls (emergency flasher, trip odometer); a version of Honda’s LaneWatch; less gimmicky features (sequential lighting, maybe Auto Hold, push button gearshift, welcome mat).
While I agree re: HUD, I couldn't disagree with you more regarding the rest.  Lanewatch really is stupid and I abhor it - it takes your eyes off the road and is only useful in cities where cyclists are abound (nowhere else). 
And, dare I say it, the MKX offers the driver so much to do other than driving that one thinks the autonomous vehicle can’t come soon enough.
...and your final line of that paragraph details that you shouldn't be a fan of Lanewatch, either.  Why argue that Lanewatch is an option that Lincoln should explore, but at the same time, complain that there are too many driver's aids?  Come now...

I also disagree re the 'gimmicks' as you define them, as those are what sets apart the MKX from its cheaper Ford stablemate.

I think Lincoln has to be careful to differentiate the MKX from the less-expensive Edge on which it is based.  Pricing is a bit beefy, and options have to follow in that regard.  Given that the Edge is available with the 2.7T, the gimmicks are all that's left.  And what's wrong with sequential lighting?  While I don't love the push-button gearshift, it does free up the centre stack and some may appreciate that.  Same with the welcome mat - it's not like it's a bad feature - sure, most wouldn't actively pay for it as a standalone option, but it does add to the ambience of 'luxury', so to speak.

I dislike the front look, while I actually think the back end of the MKX is nicer than the Edge's.  I can't help but think, however, that the fuel economy in either powertrain option is piggish compared to the competitors like the RX, GLE, etc, both of which have 'fuel happy' alternatives (be they diesel or hybrid).  I think the antiquated 6-speed transmission is to blame for not-great fuel economy claims, and also detracts from the feeling of luxury (i.e. getting the 'latest and greatest').

While the price is 'reasonable' compared to the Germans, this car doesn't scream "luxury".  That still remains Lincoln's problem, and will for some time until the perception of its Ford underpinnings are lost.  Hell, look no further than the ILX and Civic - couldn't look more different now, and the ILX is all the better because of it.  Even the RX and the Highlander are vastly different looking to the point that nobody really thinks of the platform sharing.

...and what the fack is with the asymmetrical lower front air dam?!?!?!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 08:58:58 pm »
I actually quite like this vehicle.  First time I've said that about a Lincoln in a long time.  Much cleaner looking than the new Edge and the grill is much more palatable than the horrid looking new RX.  Besides the Revel audio system is said to be incredible sounding.  May be the perfect antidote to my schizophrenic S2000.   :)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 12:45:39 pm »
I actually quite like this vehicle.  First time I've said that about a Lincoln in a long time.  Much cleaner looking than the new Edge and the grill is much more palatable than the horrid looking new RX. 

+1

Really, really like the look of this one, so much better than the blocky Edge. No one will accuse Ford of badge-engineering this one.

Paul: you were just a few blocks from my office it seems  :hello:

I'm also attracted to the MKZ, so yes Lincoln is off to something by trying to seduce "bold" shoppers.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist