Author Topic: Porsche Mission E concept takes aim at Tesla  (Read 7810 times)

Online Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1216
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: Porsche Mission E concept takes aim at Tesla
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 09:11:27 am »
Not sure if they flatbed or just drive with the replacement car, but they do!

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 09:12:08 am »
VAG has deep pockets and will make this work. Unlike others who need handouts form the taxpayers  ;D As far a marketing goes a Porsche version will sell itself. People with $100k to burn on a EV will opt for the Porsche brand to keep up with the neighborhood status.

Microsoft had/has deep pockets and google was not as rich when it launched Andriod. Now Andriod has more than 50% of the Mobile market share (yes i know the privacy sucks). Microsoft also invested $150 million in apple in 1997. MS is not doing bad now but apple is way ahead. The D3 were probably the biggest manufacturers in the world a few decades ago now its VAG and Toyota

Goes to show that if a company brings innovative products people will buy them

I agree with you that most people will buy a Porsche if its similar specs and price (even a little higher) compared to TELSA. so it is very important for TELSA to keep innovating so that they can differentiate their product. If done properly they may create a brand halo that matches porsche or audi.

PS: just interesting bit of Info. Microsoft sold the apple shares that they got for their $150 million investment made in 1997 in the year 2003. If they would have kept it it would have been worth more than $25billion
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:18:54 am by CSH »

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 09:13:13 am »
Not sure if they flatbed or just drive with the replacement car, but they do!

Then proximity to dealership for service is a moot point. Sales is a different story.

Online Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1216
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 09:14:25 am »
Unlike others who need handouts form the taxpayers  ;D

You sound like a broken record... :P

For a company that some here keep saying will fail, they sure got the attention of the traditional high end brands. I'm all for it, nothing's like competition to improve the breed.  ;)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 10:37:32 am »
VAG has deep pockets and will make this work. Unlike others who need handouts form the taxpayers  ;D As far a marketing goes a Porsche version will sell itself. People with $100k to burn on a EV will opt for the Porsche brand to keep up with the neighborhood status.

Elon has said many times he actually wants other car companies to compete, i.e. make EVs too, which will make parts cheaper and speed up the EV transition. As it stands now and likely for another few years, Tesla has a good and growing network of fast chargers and will soon have a big advantage on the battery costs once Gigafactory is up and running. So it will have the big boys' lunch money for quite a bit longer. Every EV concept I ever heard coming from the well known luxury brands was 3 years away from production, perennially.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:39:41 am by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Northernridge

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 11:45:47 am »

Elon has said many times he actually wants other car companies to compete, i.e. make EVs too, which will make parts cheaper and speed up the EV transition. As it stands now and likely for another few years, Tesla has a good and growing network of fast chargers and will soon have a big advantage on the battery costs once Gigafactory is up and running. So it will have the big boys' lunch money for quite a bit longer. Every EV concept I ever heard coming from the well known luxury brands was 3 years away from production, perennially.

First rule of brand building is to own the category and then promote the category. Rising tides lift all ships – if you're the marketshare leader, you'll get the biggest slice.

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 11:17:54 pm »
wholly cow  that things fast, 400 km/h driving   ;D

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 11:54:46 pm »
I agree with you that most people will buy a Porsche if its similar specs and price (even a little higher) compared to TELSA

My Porsche driving friend is saving for a Tesla...

My wife promised to buy me a Porsche when I turned 50.  I revised that agreement a few years ago when the Tesla Model S was released...

We drove silently past a Porsche sedan in the local market parking lot and laughed that someone would spend that money when they could be driving a Tesla.

Tesla is the best selling car in it's segment (large premium sedans) in California, outselling all competitors combined.

It's not a matter of the competition not caring, it's that they don't know how to compete yet, and have enough profit on other segments that losing market share in the top premium segment is not too bad yet.

Everyone that has had a ride in our Tesla asks the question "when is the cheaper one coming out?".  When 500,000 Tesla's are selling per year, the premium auto makers might care, especially when they continue to lose thought leadership and become yesterdays news.

But right now, VW/Audi/Porsche has larger things on its mind, namely, the fact they need to fix millions of cars that have been polluting 40x more than the EPA standard.  The recall maintenance (reprogramming) will result in a less powerful and less efficient car than the owner had prior to the fix.  The owners of those cars got screwed by a cheating company who cared nothing for the environment, and only for profit.  40x the emissions of smog producing chemicals!  40x!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 12:23:23 am »

Tesla is the best selling car in it's segment (large premium sedans) in California, outselling all competitors combined.

I'm betting that's a big, fat lie.  Only 1600 Tesla S sold in August for the ENTIRE United States.  I can assure you that there were more than 1600 Lexus, Mercedes, BMWs and Porsche sold combined in California last month.  California sells ~2 million cars per year.  Or is this another fudging of the truth by Tesla in what they deem a "large premium sedan".  Funny though....Tesla owners are always telling people their car is a luxury car, not a premium car.   ::)

Do tell how many Model S were sold in California last month and what they deem as a competitor in the "large premium sedan" category.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 12:39:47 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 03:07:52 pm »
Link (was first google link I found searching on the subject, took 10 seconds, why do I keep needing to do homework for you?  ;-)

http://my.teslamotors.com/de_DE/forum/forums/tesla-model-s-outsold-mercedesbenz-sclass-bmw-7-series-audi-a8-lexus-ls-and-porsche-pan

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 03:11:57 pm »
I think the problem is you said "combined"....

Which it did not.

US sales for the Model S in 2013 checked in at ~ 17,650 units
Mercedes-Benz S-Class: 13,303
BMW 7 Series: 10,932
Lexus LS: 10,727
Audi A8: 6,300
Porsche Panamera: 5,421

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2015, 04:37:43 pm »

Which it did not.

Which is why I said BS. 

Could it outsell some models?  Sure..you get $12K in rebates in CA.  But all models combined?  Not a chance!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 10:11:15 pm »

We drove silently past a Porsche sedan in the local market parking lot and laughed that someone would spend that money when they could be driving a Tesla.

:fiver:  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Where was that quote again about how hybrid drivers are holier than thou..?  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2015, 07:03:58 am »

:fiver:  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Where was that quote again about how hybrid drivers are holier than thou..?  :rofl2:

:rofl2:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2015, 09:41:10 am »

Which it did not.

Those are the numbers for the US as a whole. The California market is a bit of a different beast.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2015, 10:16:17 am »

::) Not everyone wants a Tesla.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2015, 11:04:42 am »
Wow 50 and still so prescient...he should become a MUNK..or a HOLY ROLLER....never
heard that coming ;) ...book him Dano   insult and BATTERY......
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2015, 02:41:57 pm »
Wow 50 and still so prescient...he should become a MUNK..or a HOLY ROLLER....never
heard that coming ;) ...book him Dano   insult and BATTERY......

;D