Author Topic: Porsche Mission E concept takes aim at Tesla  (Read 7815 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Porsche Mission E concept takes aim at Tesla
« on: September 14, 2015, 04:05:57 pm »
Porsche EV will let you share the joy
Read More...

Offline midnightsun

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1988 Civic SE Hatchback, 1997 Acura 1.6 EL, 2001 Acura 1.7 EL, 2010 Ford Fusion SEL, 2016 Mazda CX-5
Re: Porsche Mission E concept takes aim at Tesla
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 08:48:52 pm »
Very nice looking concept.  I like it!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 10:19:16 pm »
Wishful thinking.

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 06:26:58 am »
3 years is a really long time in the EV world and I have to believe that the prestige companies were dragged into pursuing this route.  If they had been chomping at the bit, they would have started intense development 3 months after the Tesla came out and we would be seeing E Porches silently ripping up the roads by this coming spring.

A difficult situation to be in because do they really think they will have a better e-sports car in 2018 than whatever Tesla is putting out by that time?  I'd say they have to be a bit nervous and will fall back into a defensive position of product "differentiation" rather than outright superiority.  Must be a tough pill for them to swallow.

I think the prestige marques have been caught between gears on the ev issue and are therefore really slow around this particular corner.  And (to beat this analogy to a pulp) when they get around this corner, they may find their more experienced competition is already half way down the straight.

Cheers,
John M.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 06:57:52 am by JohnM »

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 07:53:34 am »
And they couldn't have made the rear 1/4 of the Panamera look like this because????  Like the look of this concept a lot.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 08:01:48 am »
If I was a first responder and came across a car in the ditch or in a crash with an 800 volt electrical system I would stand well back until someone else dealt with it.   I realize that the system would be well protected  and festooned with warning labels  but even so...
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 08:52:13 am »
^^ by that logic, Japan should totally get rid of all its nuclear power generation (as should the rest of the world). 

For once, ever, I actually don't mind this 'concept'.  It seems highly probable that it could come to fruition, and the lines aren't even so 'out there' that it could not arrive looking 90% like that.  I quite like it, actually.

...except the single rear tail light...not a fan.  But unlike the Yaris, the teardrop fascia is kinda cute!

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1216
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 12:52:10 pm »
If I was a first responder and came across a car in the ditch or in a crash with an 800 volt electrical system I would stand well back until someone else dealt with it.   I realize that the system would be well protected  and festooned with warning labels  but even so...

A burning car with a full tank of gasoline is no better.. :P

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 01:09:28 pm »

A burning car with a full tank of gasoline is no better.. :P
Worst of both worlds:  Hybrids!

...I just read that the apparent cause of the fire was an overfill of fuel, which he cleaned with a squeegee, pushing the gas into the air intake behind the rear door (in which a hot radiator resides).  Interesting - I would class action that design if I were into Class Actions (which I'm not).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 01:15:49 pm by No-san »

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 01:38:09 pm »
First responders have been through some training with battery powered cars.  A volunteer friend of mine went through a course several years ago.  They won't be learning on the job.

Cheers,
John M.

Northernridge

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 01:47:21 pm »
Do EV cars have the equivalent of a fuel shut off in the event of accidents?

Meanwhile, good on Tesla to cause a major car company to react to it's product. On the other hand, a major car company has (potentially) reacted to Tesla and it's Porsche. When was the last Porsche had a product failure?

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1216
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 06:03:57 pm »

Meanwhile, good on Tesla to cause a major car company to react to it's product. On the other hand, a major car company has (potentially) reacted to Tesla and it's Porsche. When was the last Porsche had a product failure?

Yes, EV's are equipped with a plug accessible  that isolate the battery from the rest of the car.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAAahUKEwj719-YhfrHAhWFEJIKHY17Do0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nissanusa.com%2Fcontent%2Fdam%2Fnissan%2Fpdf%2Ftechpubs%2Fleaf%2F2011%2F2011-leaf-first-responders-guide.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGLiXb_2B2pybh0pxhWuQyrLR7E8Q&sig2=0B0eIMt_bo7WLthSr6aXRw

Northernridge

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 06:13:49 pm »

Yes, EV's are equipped with a plug accessible  that isolate the battery from the rest of the car.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAAahUKEwj719-YhfrHAhWFEJIKHY17Do0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nissanusa.com%2Fcontent%2Fdam%2Fnissan%2Fpdf%2Ftechpubs%2Fleaf%2F2011%2F2011-leaf-first-responders-guide.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGLiXb_2B2pybh0pxhWuQyrLR7E8Q&sig2=0B0eIMt_bo7WLthSr6aXRw

Nifty manual...scanned it. They've thought through this issue, here's an excerpt...

The Nissan LEAF high-voltage system incorporates capacitors which are energized whenever the high- voltage system is on. If the high-voltage system is shut down (either through one of the built-in automatic mechanisms or manually through one of the procedures explained in this FRG), the capacitors will begin to gradually discharge. After 5 minutes, the voltage level will have dropped below 60V, and complete discharge requires approximately 10 minutes after high-voltage system shut down. It is within this period of time that responders must be most cautious.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 08:19:43 pm »

The Escape Hybrid had a shock sensor that disconnected the hybrid battery in the event of a crash.  Not the 12v battery though, which powers things like door locks.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 05:44:26 am »
Here is a link to a really good expansion of the story above.  Tesla is indeed taking significant sales away from the prestige marques.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/luxury-electric-cars-1.3229310

Cheers,
John M.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 06:49:07 am »

Then what would be the point in you being a first responder?  First bystander would be a better name for it.

I thought that the concept of first responders is they're trained to act, not stand around.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 08:15:13 am »
These cars are scheduled to be out around the MY 2018. The cars they are promising are similar in specs to what TESLA has now.
TELSA has 3 years to differentiate itself from MB, VW, Porsche.  If it dosent then TELSA's market share may reduce. If it continues innovating (i strongly believe they will e.g. SpaceX, Hyperloop) they will continue to have a early starter advantage for the next 5-10 years.

Interesting times for sure
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:21:46 am by CSH »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 08:30:40 am »
VAG has deep pockets and will make this work. Unlike others who need handouts form the taxpayers  ;D As far a marketing goes a Porsche version will sell itself. People with $100k to burn on a EV will opt for the Porsche brand to keep up with the neighborhood status.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 08:42:14 am »
Assuming both car brands Tesla and Porsche are competitive, it would come down to dealership access for me.

Is there a local dealership where I can get my car serviced or do I have to drive an hour away.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 09:05:58 am »
I heard when a TELSA needs service they bring another model on a flatbed, leave it on your driveway and take your car away for service.
I dont know if this is true.