Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 BMW M235i  (Read 14923 times)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Re: Test Drive: 2015 BMW M235i
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 09:00:24 am »
Thats a good looking car, brings back memories of the E30 M3 and that engine is a rocket.....saying that....is it ~ $20k better than a GT Mustang, or a 370Z, or a Genesis Coupe?? $60K is a lot of money....

Is it $20k better than a Mustang GT *with Perf Pkg*?  No. 

BUT... like all BMW testers, this one is loaded up with every frivolity they can throw at it.  From the outside, a base, no options M235i would look exactly the same (except for the optional $800 red paint), and come the way I want it -- with a stick shift and RWD.  It'll still have a great stereo, heated seats and all the smile-inducing performance I'd want.  And it'd cost $45,000.

A 'Stang GT with Performance Pkg currently builds out at $38k.  Add the Recaro seats (the BMW's sport seats are standard and are excellent)  and you're just over $40k. 

Factor in the BMW's better fuel efficiency, likely cheaper insurance, and 4 years of free maintenance and they've got to be pretty close to the same cost.

When equipped comparably, they're priced comparably.  Would I then choose the M235i over the GT?  Probably yes. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 09:21:10 am »
but jeff,

Mustang, i can get the GT with perf pkg and recaro seats for 42k out the door.  and when i say out the door, i mean you pay NOTHING ELSE.

bmw, with taxes and freight fees, it's realistically a 50+k car.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 10:10:00 am »
How much is, "What do you drive?"  "A Mustang, Bro!" worth vs "An M-badged Bimmer, Sir"?   :rofl2:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 10:11:26 am »
How much is, "What do you drive?"  "A Mustang, Bro!" worth vs "An M-badged Bimmer, Sir"?   :rofl2:

Difference between syphilis and gonorrhea. :o ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2015, 10:13:42 am »

Difference between syphilis and 'Spot of Bother'. :o ;D
Fixed. ;D
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 10:25:28 am »
the inline  6 in these machines sounds f-ing fantastic.   i really think this is the best sounding inline 6 in the world.

BUT, Mustang V8 sounds better.

I agree, there is something about a inline 6 BMW that sounds amazing.....BUT...is it worth $20k??

BMWs (and FGCs in general) are always going to price higher than domestic (or Asian) "non-luxury" cars on a $$$/hp scale.   It really comes down to what you value most.

Personally I like the interior in this car miles better than the Mustang GT or Camaro SS.  You can also look at the recent thread on this forum where the poster reviewed his Mustang GT and pointed out all the bad body panel fits and somewhat ugly (IMO) shiny faux-aluminum interior trim bits.   The BMW is better in those regards I'd wager.

That said - I'd likely buy a Mustang GT, add a nice exhaust, maybe some wheels, and still pocket the change.   I'd live with the issues for the sweet V8 power.   

Not that it matters aesthetically, but the trim bits are supposedly actual aluminium. 

Thats a good looking car, brings back memories of the E30 M3 and that engine is a rocket.....saying that....is it ~ $20k better than a GT Mustang, or a 370Z, or a Genesis Coupe?? $60K is a lot of money....

Is it $20k better than a Mustang GT *with Perf Pkg*?  No. 

BUT... like all BMW testers, this one is loaded up with every frivolity they can throw at it.  From the outside, a base, no options M235i would look exactly the same (except for the optional $800 red paint), and come the way I want it -- with a stick shift and RWD.  It'll still have a great stereo, heated seats and all the smile-inducing performance I'd want.  And it'd cost $45,000.

A 'Stang GT with Performance Pkg currently builds out at $38k.  Add the Recaro seats (the BMW's sport seats are standard and are excellent)  and you're just over $40k. 

Factor in the BMW's better fuel efficiency, likely cheaper insurance, and 4 years of free maintenance and they've got to be pretty close to the same cost.

When equipped comparably, they're priced comparably.  Would I then choose the M235i over the GT?  Probably yes. 

I don't want to get into a debate over pricing, but I do feel that the BMW is a pricier car than the GT.  Not $20k more, but not quite comparable.  The total selling price for M235i shows $48k vs $40k for me.  The actual transaction price for the Ford will most likely be even lower (not sure what sort of haggle room BMWs offer) and if something not covered under the warranty were to break, the Ford would be likely cheaper to fix.  The Recaro seats are very YMMV depending on your physical build; I found them uncomfortably tight and I'm a pretty skinny guy.

But people place different priorities like on areas like build quality, aethetics, available options etc.  Anyway, I'd think that something like the Audi S3, MB CLA or even Golf R would be a more natural car to compare to the M235 rather than the Mustang GT.

"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 11:07:25 am »

Difference between syphilis and 'Spot of Bother'. :o ;D
Fixed. ;D
Railton

;D

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2015, 11:18:03 am »
but jeff,

Mustang, i can get the GT with perf pkg and recaro seats for 42k out the door.  and when i say out the door, i mean you pay NOTHING ELSE.

bmw, with taxes and freight fees, it's realistically a 50+k car.

Fair enough, there are big discounts on the Ford, I get that.  One could also get a few grand off the BMW if they tried. 

The point I was trying to make is that if you compare apples to apples, there need not be a $20k difference between the two that was causing all the belly-aching earlier in this thread.  When ALL costs are factored in (maintenance, insurance, fuel too), the price gap isn't all that great.

Interestingly -- and I realize this isn't for everyone, but leasing works for me as a small business owner -- I ran the online calculators and built a Stang GT perf/pk with Recaros (because they DO fit me and the base seats are less than great) and worked out a 48-mo lease at 20,000 kms.  Taxes in (and with all the Ford discounts applied) it works out to $673/month.  The BMW under the same parameters = $701/mo. 
Let's say maintenance on the Mustang costs $400 / yr (probably low), divided by 12 months would put the Mustang cost to $706/mo. Add on higher fuel and insurance costs too maybe?

I love the Stang GT, I really do, but I don't accept that it's going to be wildly, massively cheaper than the BMW.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2015, 11:39:43 am »
Now now.  You know better than to drag facts and numbers into an argument around here.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2015, 03:00:09 pm »
Now now.  You know better than to drag facts and numbers into an argument around here.

:rofl2: Agreed. Math is hard for most people...upside down major and stuff  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 BMW M235i
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2015, 03:20:18 pm »
Did you factor in how much more time the BMW would be in for repairs compared to the Mustang?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2015, 04:17:37 pm »
Did you factor in how much more time the BMW would be in for repairs compared to the Mustang?
And the fact that after warranty the BMW has the running costs of a nuclear submarine.....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2015, 05:44:17 pm »
And the fact that after warranty the BMW has the running costs of a nuclear submarine.....

Given the fact that so many people lease these days, why would that be a factor in the decision?  I would say with the BMW warranty/maintenance that the running costs would be about the same.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2015, 06:11:19 pm »

Given the fact that so many people lease these days, why would that be a factor in the decision?  I would say with the BMW warranty/maintenance that the running costs would be about the same.

Because you have to take personal time off to bring the BMW for warranty work.  So yea, it matters.  At least to me.  Because my personal time is important.

YMMV.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2015, 06:19:42 pm »

:rofl2: Link? I know a few Mustang owners that spend plenty of time at the dealership with issues.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2015, 06:21:17 pm »

Because you have to take personal time off to bring the BMW for warranty work.  So yea, it matters.  At least to me.  Because my personal time is important.

YMMV.

Same here, but I was talking in the first few years.  Surely you can't even be that cynical regarding FGC's..?  ;D

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2015, 10:00:11 pm »

YMMV.

I've had 3 BMWs and 2 warranty claims. 

You bring up a good point though:  what are the maintenance intervals for the Mustang?  Bet it spends more time in a year in the shop than the BMW will strictly for maintenance alone. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2015, 10:06:20 pm »

YMMV.

You bring up a good point though:  what are the maintenance intervals for the Mustang?  Bet it spends more time in a year in the shop than the BMW will strictly for maintenance alone.

Really?  I heard you had more.  What were your warranty claims for?

Services are every 10k MILES for the Mustang GT.

What is it for the BMW?

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2015, 10:14:14 pm »

YMMV.

Really?  I heard you had more.  What were your warranty claims for?

Services are every 10k MILES for the Mustang GT.

What is it for the BMW?

BMW was 20-24,000 kms. 

The day I picked up my 335 a solenoid in the vanos system let go.  My 330 had a power door lock switch go that actually locked me in the car.  My 328 didn't have any warranty claims that I can remember, though at 130,000 kms the power door lock started crapping itself and the climate control system started working intermittently. 

The morale of the story:  ditch yer FGC before the warranty runs out. 

My Audi A4 on the other hand... that thing had at least 4-5 warranty claims within the first 18 months.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2015, 10:15:07 pm »

Look at how many times Sailor723 has had to take in his ML to the dealership, under warranty.  It might not be costing him anything out of his pocket maintenance wise, but the extreme PITA of continuously bringing your vehicle in has to count for something.  Just saying.   :)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing