Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Ford Escape SE  (Read 9652 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Ford Escape SE
« on: September 11, 2015, 06:31:09 am »

We love the responsiveness of the Escape's 1.6L Ecoboost, but fuel economy is disappointing and we had some quibbles with the dash design.
Read More...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Ford Escape SE
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 08:06:42 am »
the 1.6T is NOT the engine to get in the Escape...it's either 2.0T or nothing, there's no penalty in fuel consumption between the two.

Also what's the point of testing a 2015? --not a critique, just a thought.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 08:33:48 am »
Also what's the point of testing a 2015? --not a critique, just a thought.
did you read the article?

there is mention of the 2016 in there and a review of that will be coming soon.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 08:34:46 am »
$35k?...hmmm...a Forester XT over this is a no brainer.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 09:03:16 am »
That's MSRP...my local Ford dealer is selling these for $26.5k - albeit with no chrome package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 09:03:31 am »
$35k?...hmmm...a Forester XT over this is a no brainer.

I don't get it.

When I build a Forester XT Touring it's $35.5k plus tax.   When I build a Ford Escape 2.0L AWD Titanium it's $36.5k plus tax, plus $2900 off with Ford Employee pricing.  Which is $33600k plus tax.  And the Titanium has a lot more than the SE.  The reason the SE is expensive it has so many options that even the Forester XT doesn't have. 

It's too easy to skip to the MSRP of two vehicles and say it's a no brainer.  Its all in the details.  Not that I would buy a new Escape to begin with.  But the MSRP has nothing to do with it.  As it is pretty competitive, and the way Ford does that packaging is quite good.  Lot of options.  Which gives the consumers many decisions. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 09:24:53 am »
I keep wondering if Ford's tuning of these Boosted engines is not quite right.  I mean I have seen EcoBoost F150s running pretty darn rich (black coming out of the tail pipes).

That said, I think the 2.0T is the right engine to get.  What Ford should almost do is dump the 1.6T for our market and offer a detuned 2.0T with around 200hp.  It would have way better off boost response than the 1.6T.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 09:44:51 am »
I wonder if a heated windshield is offered in Canada? It is offered here in Europe and I figure would be a lovely feature in colder climates.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline sbtatter

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Acura, Ford,
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 09:56:24 am »
20 months ago, We were long term Acura customers until they insulted us with derisory trade in offers on our third Acura when dealing for a new RDX. So we sold the Acura privately, shopped for a small SUV. My wife likes to gas it away from lights, and break hard at stop signs, fast but not smooth! Tested the CX5, Escape, CRV, Santa Fe, RAV4... Really wanted to like the CRV but just couldn't get over the cheap looking dash, CX5 at that point had no power, she didn't like the styling of the CRV or the RAV4. So it came down to Santa Fe and Escape, I was in favor of Santa Fe until we drove the 2.0L Titanium escape. It had the features inside she loved, and drove like a BMW, plus a hefty lease discount!!! She loves it, and it's her all time favorite vehicle.  Her real world mileage is not bad, considering 90% of her use is starting it, driving for 5 minutes in town to work, and repeat on way home. In our cold prairie winter she runs it for ten minutes before she drives it. So, her winter, in town mileage is 13.2L/100Km, her summer, drive to Wpg and back at 119 km/h is 8.8L/100Km. I know the Escape isn't included on the group SUV tests here anymore for some reason, but our 2 year ownership experience has been great, no issues, good mileage, great power, great purchase price, she loves synch, so who am I to argue!! She will never buy the current CRV and RAV4 due to their looks. She does like the look of the new Tuscon but its "too small", hates the Murano and Rogue looks!!!  Might try to get her to look at the Edge for the next vehicle....Disclaimer, we lease, not purchase, for accounting reasons......

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 10:51:29 am »
My parents just traded in their 2010 Ford Focus for a new (as in a long time left over at the dealer) 2014 Ford Escape with the 1.6 ecoboost and FWD.  I'm guessing it never sold because of the engine and drive wheel combination.  They seem to be happy with it so far and got decent mileage of 8L/100km on a recent country road trip.

Personally I'm not a fan of these.  I don't like the styling, the engine lineup, the infotainment, or the expected depreciation.  But they got a very good deal on this one and like the dealer they have so who am I to protest.

Northernridge

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 11:24:48 am »
My parents just traded in their 2010 Ford Focus for a new (as in a long time left over at the dealer) 2014 Ford Escape with the 1.6 ecoboost and FWD.  I'm guessing it never sold because of the engine and drive wheel combination.  They seem to be happy with it so far and got decent mileage of 8L/100km on a recent country road trip.

Personally I'm not a fan of these.  I don't like the styling, the engine lineup, the infotainment, or the expected depreciation.  But they got a very good deal on this one and like the dealer they have so who am I to protest.

I think that's a good choice for your folks. It's relatively inexpensive because of FWD, taller for easy ingress/egress and a well regarded vehicle overall. It's great that your parents didn't fall victim to myth of mandatory AWD.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 12:03:05 pm »
My parents just traded in their 2010 Ford Focus for a new (as in a long time left over at the dealer) 2014 Ford Escape with the 1.6 ecoboost and FWD. 

Hmm, I guess that configuration would kinda be the modern equivalent of the old Focus Wagon. 

I wonder what is the breakdown of retail Escape sales by engine type?  50% 2.0, 40% 1.6, 10% 2.5?  1/3 each?  Though I can't imagine that the NA 2.5L will be hanging around for much longer.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 12:08:35 pm »
20 months ago, We were long term Acura customers until they insulted us with derisory trade in offers on our third Acura when dealing for a new RDX. So we sold the Acura privately, shopped for a small SUV. My wife likes to gas it away from lights, and break hard at stop signs, fast but not smooth! Tested the CX5, Escape, CRV, Santa Fe, RAV4... Really wanted to like the CRV but just couldn't get over the cheap looking dash, CX5 at that point had no power, she didn't like the styling of the CRV or the RAV4. So it came down to Santa Fe and Escape, I was in favor of Santa Fe until we drove the 2.0L Titanium escape. It had the features inside she loved, and drove like a BMW, plus a hefty lease discount!!! She loves it, and it's her all time favorite vehicle.  Her real world mileage is not bad, considering 90% of her use is starting it, driving for 5 minutes in town to work, and repeat on way home. In our cold prairie winter she runs it for ten minutes before she drives it. So, her winter, in town mileage is 13.2L/100Km, her summer, drive to Wpg and back at 119 km/h is 8.8L/100Km. I know the Escape isn't included on the group SUV tests here anymore for some reason, but our 2 year ownership experience has been great, no issues, good mileage, great power, great purchase price, she loves synch, so who am I to argue!! She will never buy the current CRV and RAV4 due to their looks. She does like the look of the new Tuscon but its "too small", hates the Murano and Rogue looks!!!  Might try to get her to look at the Edge for the next vehicle....Disclaimer, we lease, not purchase, for accounting reasons......

A wall  :o  :banghead:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 12:16:51 pm »
A friend of ours mom has a 2L Ecoboost Titanium. Now I'm not a big fan of these small little CUV things...but....driving that Escape, me likey. Thing went awesome, had great steering and was so small it was a breeze to park. If anyone I knew was looking at small CUVs, I would definitely point them towards Ford.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline sbtatter

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 12:31:57 pm »

Ha not sure if you're banging your head against a wall at me or with me against Acura!!!!
If it's against me, I'm interested to hear why? All I know is that this vehicle is my wife's all time favorite, and obviously a lot of other people see great value in it because its the categories top seller

Offline sbtatter

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 12:35:28 pm »
A friend of ours mom has a 2L Ecoboost Titanium. Now I'm not a big fan of these small little CUV things...but....driving that Escape, me likey. Thing went awesome, had great steering and was so small it was a breeze to park. If anyone I knew was looking at small CUVs, I would definitely point them towards Ford.
I couldn't agree more with fun to drive comments, it blows away the CRV, RAV4, CX3 and Santa Fe we tested for fun factor!! Which amazed me, being a non Ford guy!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 12:39:21 pm »
I couldn't agree more with fun to drive comments, it blows away the CRV, RAV4, CX3 and Santa Fe we tested for fun factor!! Which amazed me, being a non Ford guy!

Rav4 and CR-V were never meant to be "fun"....they are the physical manifestation of the word beige  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 12:53:25 pm »

Ha not sure if you're banging your head against a wall at me or with me against Acura!!!!
If it's against me, I'm interested to hear why? All I know is that this vehicle is my wife's all time favorite, and obviously a lot of other people see great value in it because its the categories top seller
I find trying to read a wall of letters very difficult, it could be an age thing , and ... Is not the same as a  paragraph

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 12:54:37 pm »
What you drove something smaller then a  suburban  :o  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 12:57:10 pm »
What you drove something smaller then a  suburban  :o  ;D

Not only that, but I thoroughly enjoyed it  ;D