Author Topic: First Drive: 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum  (Read 28376 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
« on: September 02, 2015, 06:31:28 am »

After 25 years, the Explorer goes Platinum.
Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: First Drive: 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 07:44:47 am »
Sounds like a very good SUV indeed.  I'm glad that a ecoboosted Ford finally impressed with it's fuel efficiency.  Anyone else see a lot of Land Rover in that front grill?

I won't complain about the price as it seems this vehicle has all the luxury you would expect from something this price.  I wonder if employee pricing would knock the price down another $4,000+.

If it was my money, I'd definitely choose this over the Navigator.  Much better looking, same engine, plus all the luxury.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 08:48:44 am »

Read More...

Questions galore...given I've got a '13 Explorer Sport

1) Have they improved the headlights? They're pretty poor on the '13 Sport and there wasn't an option to upgrade.
2) MFT (My Ford Touch). My understanding is that they've NOT moved the '16 Explorer to the new QNX based system (but should come available for '17s). True or false? If true, note to buyers the system will not be upgradable.
3) Lots of issues with the Ecoboost (stumbling, exhaust fumes venting into the cabin under heavy throttle) - fixed?
4) Have they fixed the location of the fuses? In the '13 they're basically inaccessible in the driver's footwell in a screwed in panel.
5) Ford apps: are they available? They weren't in Canada for the '13.
6) For this Platinum edition - do they have the Sport's suspension tuning or is it more of the standard suspension?

There are other questions, but this will keep you busy enough.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 10:23:38 am »
We had a rental 2013 in 2014 in Arizona. The thing only had the regular 3.5 naturally aspirated V6, it was really a horrid vehicle from all angles and I really couldn't find any redeeming qualities about it, heres hoping they improved on...well everything.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 10:30:48 am »
We had a rental 2013 in 2014 in Arizona. The thing only had the regular 3.5 naturally aspirated V6, it was really a horrid vehicle from all angles and I really couldn't find any redeeming qualities about it, heres hoping they improved on...well everything.

Nope - it's essentially a mid-model face lift with a few enhancements.

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 11:11:46 am »

Read More...

1) Have they improved the headlights? They're pretty poor on the '13 Sport and there wasn't an option to upgrade.
2) MFT (My Ford Touch). My understanding is that they've NOT moved the '16 Explorer to the new QNX based system (but should come available for '17s). True or false? If true, note to buyers the system will not be upgradable.
3) Lots of issues with the Ecoboost (stumbling, exhaust fumes venting into the cabin under heavy throttle) - fixed?
4) Have they fixed the location of the fuses? In the '13 they're basically inaccessible in the driver's footwell in a screwed in panel.
6) For this Platinum edition - do they have the Sport's suspension tuning or is it more of the standard suspension?

I'll do the best I can.

1) On this two-day event, I only had opportunity to drive the Explorer in the dark in an urban setting, so I can't comment on that. The lights were fine there, but there were street lights so it's not really a valid evaluation.
2) That is correct. The new version is coming for 2017 models.
3) I found no issues with the engine at all. No stumbling, certainly no fumes in the cabin under any circumstances. I loved the engine actually.
4) Sorry, I didn't look for the fuses so I don't know if they've been relocated. My guess would be that they have not been moved since it's the same platform underneath.
5) The systems engineer that took us through the ICE/features made no mention whatsoever of Ford apps, so as far as I know, they are currently not available in Canada.
6) The Platinum's suspension is somewhere in between. It is not the Sport's, but it has been engineered to handle better and feel more connected than the non-Sport models. In my opinion, it's a better suspension than any of the previous models. The ride was great and the handling was very, very good, without the compromises the Sport's suspension requires.

Hope that helps a little. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 02:12:50 pm »
Now THIS was a fine piece of writing.  It certainly does set the stage for one to really like the sound of the Explorer, and at $59k (give or take some incentive $), it makes even the MDX a pricey beast.

I would ask why taz would care where the fuse panel is, but the answer is that he either is a tinkering guy, or that he has had issues with fuses or other electrical gremlins in his.

The Explorer remains compelling when viewed in the wake of Tom's article.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 02:59:14 pm »
Now THIS was a fine piece of writing. It certainly does set the stage for one to really like the sound of the Explorer, and at $59k (give or take some incentive $), it makes even the MDX a pricey beast.

I would ask why taz would care where the fuse panel is, but the answer is that he either is a tinkering guy, or that he has had issues with fuses or other electrical gremlins in his.

I was just giving Tom my compliments via email as well. nailed the car, and all the choice little spots he discovered/knows along the way really brought BC into the picture. I definitely need to get out to that 99 that is also one of Brendan's favourite playgrounds. I do believe some of these photos are at Brendan and Dan's Comparison photo shoot locations...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 04:17:42 pm »
I definitely need to get out to that 99 that is also one of Brendan's favourite playgrounds.
I'm TOTALLY in for a 99 comparo ;D - I can't wait to get back to that area...so fricken beautiful at every turn.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 04:26:04 pm »
I have just bought a 16' Explorer Sport in black...love it so far!  :rofl2:

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 04:32:21 pm »
Now that summer holiday season is winding down, I am starting to hear a lot of super-positive reports from people driving EcoBoost Expeditions and Explorers. Especially where travel over/through the Rockies is concerned. High altitude is an area where NA engines can't come close to a powerful turbo.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 04:36:02 pm »
Now that summer holiday season is winding down, I am starting to hear a lot of super-positive reports from people driving EcoBoost Expeditions and Explorers. Especially where travel over/through the Rockies is concerned. High altitude is an area where NA engines can't come close to a powerful turbo.
I would have loved a turbo on the '98 Buick  :rofl2:

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 05:25:26 pm »

Read More...

I'll do the best I can.

1) On this two-day event, I only had opportunity to drive the Explorer in the dark in an urban setting, so I can't comment on that. The lights were fine there, but there were street lights so it's not really a valid evaluation.
2) That is correct. The new version is coming for 2017 models.
3) I found no issues with the engine at all. No stumbling, certainly no fumes in the cabin under any circumstances. I loved the engine actually.
4) Sorry, I didn't look for the fuses so I don't know if they've been relocated. My guess would be that they have not been moved since it's the same platform underneath.
5) The systems engineer that took us through the ICE/features made no mention whatsoever of Ford apps, so as far as I know, they are currently not available in Canada.
6) The Platinum's suspension is somewhere in between. It is not the Sport's, but it has been engineered to handle better and feel more connected than the non-Sport models. In my opinion, it's a better suspension than any of the previous models. The ride was great and the handling was very, very good, without the compromises the Sport's suspension requires.

Hope that helps a little.

Thank you! I appreciate the information.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 05:47:13 pm »
Now THIS was a fine piece of writing.  It certainly does set the stage for one to really like the sound of the Explorer, and at $59k (give or take some incentive $), it makes even the MDX a pricey beast.

The answer for the fuse box is that when the MFT froze at times - and it wouldn't come back unless the fuse was pulled or the battery disconnected. When I tried to get into the damned fuse box, it was impossible to get to the fuse. Imagine that you blow a fuse and try to replace it in the dark on the side of the road (say, because the lights don't work). It's on the underside of the driver's footwell, requires a flashlight, screwdriver, and requires contorting one's body to see into it (followed by some therapy). This is really poor placement - period. 

I raise points about the vehicle in order to make others aware of what to look for, although I certainly didn't cover all the issues. Other things, like, poor outward visibility, a weird active cruise control (shuts down at roughly 20kph - although it does chime about it), child seats fit but leg room can be a premium (not to mention to watch kids heads when putting them into the car seat for fear of smacking their head on the roof), and some mechanical issues with the suspension (it's about to go back in for the 4th time because of sway bar issues). All said, other than the sway bar, it has been more reliable than my previous BMW 5 series touring, but still begs for better dependability. I can live with the engine stumbling - it hasn't cut out on me, so it's solely an idling problem.

MFT is a source of problems - navigation goes off if one outfits the truck with different sized tires (eg. winters are 18" - navigation is useless). System improvements haven't occurred for a long time, and the USA models get more functionality (Canadian Fords didn't get the benefit of traffic until last year or so - a function of Sirius). Updating is hardly straight forward as versioning on the system doesn't match patch numbers. It still occasionally shuts down into "maintenance mode" - ie. reboots, some functions don't work some times.

Again, I can live with most of the issues, but I also wish I had found out these kinds of issues in advance.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 05:49:05 pm »

The answer for the fuse box is that when the MFT froze at times - and it wouldn't come back unless the fuse was pulled or the battery disconnected. When I tried to get into the damned fuse box, it was impossible to get to the fuse. Imagine that you blow a fuse and try to replace it in the dark on the side of the road (say, because the lights don't work). It's on the underside of the driver's footwell, requires a flashlight, screwdriver, and requires contorting one's body to see into it (followed by some therapy). This is really poor placement - period. 

I raise points about the vehicle in order to make others aware of what to look for, although I certainly didn't cover all the issues. Other things, like, poor outward visibility, a weird active cruise control (shuts down at roughly 20kph - although it does chime about it), child seats fit but leg room can be a premium (not to mention to watch kids heads when putting them into the car seat for fear of smacking their head on the roof), and some mechanical issues with the suspension (it's about to go back in for the 4th time because of sway bar issues). All said, other than the sway bar, it has been more reliable than my previous BMW 5 series touring, but still begs for better dependability. I can live with the engine stumbling - it hasn't cut out on me, so it's solely an idling problem.

MFT is a source of problems - navigation goes off if one outfits the truck with different sized tires (eg. winters are 18" - navigation is useless). System improvements haven't occurred for a long time, and the USA models get more functionality (Canadian Fords didn't get the benefit of traffic until last year or so - a function of Sirius). Updating is hardly straight forward as versioning on the system doesn't match patch numbers. It still occasionally shuts down into "maintenance mode" - ie. reboots, some functions don't work some times.

Again, I can live with most of the issues, but I also wish I had found out these kinds of issues in advance.

Reason # 45984854875687585 why a handheld GPS like a Tomtom or Garmin is better than a built in one.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 06:00:42 pm »

Reason # 45984854875687585 why a handheld GPS like a Tomtom or Garmin is better than a built in one.

Agreed, although systems like that on the BMW included a gyroscope, so it kept better track of movement when the GPS signal was blocked by tall buildings, or in tunnels, etc (Fords can't seem to reconcile signal strength and overrides it with a calculation based on tire circumference). The handhelds are better simply because they are upgrade-able without trading in the whole damned vehicle. I'm weighing that option when it comes to the next vehicle as well. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 06:03:10 pm »

Agreed, although systems like that on the BMW included a gyroscope, so it kept better track of movement when the GPS signal was blocked by tall buildings, or in tunnels, etc (Fords can't seem to reconcile signal strength and overrides it with a calculation based on tire circumference). The handhelds are better simply because they are upgrade-able without trading in the whole damned vehicle. I'm weighing that option when it comes to the next vehicle as well.

My parents have had their Tomtom for 5 or 6 years. Its never failed them, its super easy to use for their non technical senior selves and its easy to upgrade. My dads Avalanche has nav, but my parents like the Tomtom better for its ease of use.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 07:30:18 pm »
I have a 2011, it's a good vehicle.  So far, the one thing I wish it had was adjustable seats in the middle row.  Other than that, it has the room I need, it's relatively reliable, it works well. 

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline .l..

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +23/-654
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 08:35:45 pm »

Haven't seen a show'n'shine - didn't happen.  :stick: Just like Mr Airbalancers new diesel. Just a link to some guy named Victor on another site...

Was the one in this test Guard green?  :think: Love that colour on the new F150's (and Mustang too I'm sure).  Would love to drive those roads someday too...

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 08:42:17 pm »

Haven't seen a show'n'shine - didn't happen.  :stick: Just like Mr Airbalancers new diesel. Just a link to some guy named Victor on another site...

Was the one in this test Guard green?  :think: Love that colour on the new F150's (and Mustang too I'm sure).  Would love to drive those roads someday too...

Yes it was Guard green. It was a very nice, stealthy colour. Looks classy, slick and is understated. And it looked amazing when the vehicle was wet. I'd definitely consider that colour if I was buying one.