Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Ford Edge  (Read 8456 times)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Ford Edge
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 08:32:35 pm »
I drove the 3 engines in the Edge.

1-The 2.0T is absolutely sluggish in my opinion, the torque delivery isn't linear so it feels slow in various power bands - when you are boosting, it's strong though. So boosting I was all the time.

2-The V6 has a linear power band and torque delivery, the engine note is quite good as well...this was the most efficient of the Edges I drove!

3-BUT the engine to get in the Edge is the 2.7T, I had a blast on it! and surprisingly enough the displayed fuel economy was very close to the 2.0T.

In my opinion, Ford needs to revisit the 2.0T, or just scrap it in favor of the 2.3T! The 2.0T can't handle anything heavier than a Ford Escape.

Turbochargers like high octane fuel. Do you have 92 octane in your area?

Not sure if Ford cars come from the factory with higher octane or not. Higher ambient temperatures play a big roll in forced induction too.

It depends how they are tuned.  Theoretically, you could tune a turbo car for 87.  More than likely, it's tuned on 91 octane.  I can't see a manufacturer like Ford tuning a popular vehicle for fuel that you cannot get at the pump in California (pump 91 is the highest gasoline and then after that you go E85).

Yes, temps do play a part in operation.  Cooler air is denser and also cooler ambient temps help intercoolers work well.  However, if the cooling system is designed right, heat soak isn't an issue.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:34:31 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Ford Edge
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 09:55:57 pm »
I drove the 3 engines in the Edge.

1-The 2.0T is absolutely sluggish in my opinion, the torque delivery isn't linear so it feels slow in various power bands - when you are boosting, it's strong though. So boosting I was all the time.

2-The V6 has a linear power band and torque delivery, the engine note is quite good as well...this was the most efficient of the Edges I drove!

3-BUT the engine to get in the Edge is the 2.7T, I had a blast on it! and surprisingly enough the displayed fuel economy was very close to the 2.0T.

In my opinion, Ford needs to revisit the 2.0T, or just scrap it in favor of the 2.3T! The 2.0T can't handle anything heavier than a Ford Escape.

Turbochargers like high octane fuel. Do you have 92 octane in your area?

Not sure if Ford cars come from the factory with higher octane or not. Higher ambient temperatures play a big roll in forced induction too.

It depends how they are tuned.  Theoretically, you could tune a turbo car for 87.  More than likely, it's tuned on 91 octane.  I can't see a manufacturer like Ford tuning a popular vehicle for fuel that you cannot get at the pump in California (pump 91 is the highest gasoline and then after that you go E85).

Yes, temps do play a part in operation.  Cooler air is denser and also cooler ambient temps help intercoolers work well.  However, if the cooling system is designed right, heat soak isn't an issue.

Most of all engines today are tuned for different octanes, regardless if turbo charged or not. Some of the German automakers have their carbtunedbfor higher than out 92/93 Ron/Mon and will respond better with higher octane. But I could sew a dealership putting lesser octane still today.

Newer cats today really don't heat soak. The ecu adjust for a specific torque output and if the ambient temperatures are high and or octane low then torque will be reduced.