Author Topic: Automakers named in class-action suit over keyless ignition systems  (Read 7935 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Suit claims manufacturers ignored risk of carbon monoxide poisoning
Read More...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Automakers named in class-action suit over keyless ignition systems
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 12:42:29 pm »
The people who brought this suit up should be made to pay all the automakers lawyers fees plus for whatever courts time they wasted, have their licence taken away as they are obviously far too stupid to be entrusted with a car and be immediately sterilized to prevent the spread of their filthy seed any further. If you cannot figure out your car is running and you should shut if off, get off my planet.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 12:47:36 pm »
Thank you for saying what my journalistic instincts told me not to put in the article.
I used to work here.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 12:51:17 pm »
Thank you for saying what my journalistic instincts told me not to put in the article.

HAHAHAHA  :rofl:

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 01:24:12 pm »
The people who brought this suit up should be made to pay all the automakers lawyers fees plus for whatever courts time they wasted, have their licence taken away as they are obviously far too stupid to be entrusted with a car and be immediately sterilized to prevent the spread of their filthy seed any further. If you cannot figure out your car is running and you should shut if off, get off my planet.

Yep,  sometimes you have to wonder how deep the gene pool is out there ;D

Northernridge

I bet the suit is litigator driven not consumer driven.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 03:11:14 pm »
This is right up there with the 'no warning for hot coffee on a coffee cup' suit. 

I do like the idea of auto shutoff, though.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 03:22:56 pm »

Chris, you should turn off that little filter (aka "journalistic instincts") in your brain.

It may result in your 2nd tenure at autos.ca being very brief...but what a glorious, incendiary fireball of a tenure it would be!! ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 03:24:49 pm »
This is right up there with the 'no warning for hot coffee on a coffee cup' suit. 

I do like the idea of auto shutoff, though.

Or the "do not use hands to stop spinning chainsaw blade", "do not use hair dryer while in the shower", "do not eat rat poison" or my favorite one on a bottle of acetone I have in the garage, "WARNING: may contain acetone".

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 03:50:05 pm »
Or the absolute classic on a   Claymore mine.      " This side towards enemy "
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 05:43:55 pm »
On one of our missile tubes on the ADATS, someone had stenciled "aim away from face".  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 07:20:26 pm »
my favorite one on a bottle of acetone I have in the garage, "WARNING: may contain acetone".

Clearly, you have been ripped off. The bottle of acetone you bought MAY contain acetone? Go back to the store and demand a refund!

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 02:18:46 am »
I wouldn't be quite so quick to ridicule this concern.

How about cars with engine stop-start?  They might not be running when you park, so it would be less apparent that the car is "running".  This feature is becoming increasingly common.

In addition, those of us who grew up with cars that needed to have a key turned to start or turn off are deeply habituated to the action of shutting off the car when leaving it.  On the other hand, with the proliferation of remote starters, push button starters etc. there is a whole new generation of drivers who will never develop the habit of turning the key and so may be far more prone to forgetting to shut off a car.  Not all of these people can be written off as idiots.

Obviously the solution is some sort of automatic shut-off, although it will have to be done carefully so as to not cause frustration when there is a good reason for a car to be running for a long time with no driver interaction.  Or you Albertans will sometimes have to sit on cold seats in the winter.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 09:15:48 am »

How about cars with engine stop-start?  They might not be running when you park, so it would be less apparent that the car is "running".  This feature is becoming increasingly common.

In addition, those of us who grew up with cars that needed to have a key turned to start or turn off are deeply habituated to the action of shutting off the car when leaving it.  On the other hand, with the proliferation of remote starters, push button starters etc. there is a whole new generation of drivers who will never develop the habit of turning the key and so may be far more prone to forgetting to shut off a car.  Not all of these people can be written off as idiots.

Obviously the solution is some sort of automatic shut-off, although it will have to be done carefully so as to not cause frustration when there is a good reason for a car to be running for a long time with no driver interaction.  Or you Albertans will sometimes have to sit on cold seats in the winter.

All the stop start cars I have driven have the engine running once shifted into park...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 09:16:38 am »
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 10:00:16 am »
I notice that no aftermarket manufacturers were named in the lawsuit. If the lawyers and plaintiffs were serious about this they would have gone after them as well - or is this because, if one has it installed as an aftermarket product you are essentially aware of the pros and cons and sign off on liability? Seems like a trivial case that has not so trivial costs.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 02:36:35 pm »
mix is right about the auto start stop... engine is on in park. only when in drive and stopped will it shut off.

this is upsetting... just the fact that this makes it's way to the courts... just pure stupidity. while yes, it takes some getting used to, if you are unable to register that the car is running in a closed garage, then you are either driving a car that is smoother and quieter than any i have been in, or deaf and dumb (and not in the mute kind of way).

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 06:08:46 pm »
I don't have a problem with stupid people. 

Just get rid of all the warning labels and the problem will take care of itself.
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 07:13:31 pm »
as its been mentioned, if these people are so stupid as to not know that an engine is running (and you've just driven into a garage too), then you shouldn't be driving any vehicle.  I realize some vehicles are so quiet that you can't hear inside the vehicle, but I've never ever come across a vehicle that you can't hear it running when you step outside and particular in an enclosed space like a garage. (unless its electric then there isn't a problem with than anyway - but I'm sure somebody will find a way).

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 08:54:57 pm »

All the stop start cars I have driven have the engine running once shifted into park...

That seems kind of dumb.  There's not a lot of reasons for having the engine running while in park, but I guess it provides a reminder that the car is enabled to run the engine.

Have you driven a hybrid?  The engine shuts off a lot of the time while stopped, and shifting into park doesn't by itself cause the ICE to start running.  I think the Prius also has a Start button, while the Escape Hybrid used key-in-ignition.  If you walked away from either of these with the ignition still on, they would cycle the ICE on and off to maintain temperatures until they ran out of gas.